Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto Winter League updates

Johnny Cueto Winter League updates

Johnny Cueto is pitching in the Winter League in Dominican Republic this offseason for Aguilas Cibaenas. I'm not too high on the idea of letting him pitch in winter ball considering he threw 161 innings this season, but that's just me. Anyway, Johnny made his first appearance on Friday and pitched 5 innings, allowing 1 run on 4 hits while walking 2 and striking out 1.

5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K through one appearance.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=456501

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Cueto Winter League updates

I believe I read that Krivsky said they were going to try to keep his innings under control this winter.

I thought there wasn't going to be any Dominican winter ball this year.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I wish they'd stop doing winter ball altogether. It's pretty obviously done no good for Reds' pitchers so far. And probably done some damage.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I wish they'd stop doing winter ball altogether. It's pretty obviously done no good for Reds' pitchers so far. And probably done some damage.
    Who has is done no good for? Cueto pitched in it last year, he did fine this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Who has is done no good for? Cueto pitched in it last year, he did fine this year.
    IIRC, some guys who threw winter ball in the Dominican came to camp with tired arms. I can't remember who it was--late 90s/early 00s. Somebody help me out here (Big Sweat, maybe?).

I'm just saying: the benefits are dubious. I'd rather they be healthy; they can train without going all out in real competition.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I personally think that's what was wrong with Edwin the first half of the season... he was worn out.

I think he had more time to rest in the minors, and when he came back, he was well-rested and ready.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    IIRC, some guys who threw winter ball in the Dominican came to camp with tired arms. I can't remember who it was--late 90s/early 00s. Somebody help me out here (Big Sweat, maybe?).

I'm just saying: the benefits are dubious. I'd rather they be healthy; they can train without going all out in real competition.
    Wasn't Ricardo Arombles a pitcher who was over exposed in winter ball?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Arent these players under great pressure by their countries to play, not like they can just blow it off.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well, as far as Cueto goes, I think he threw something like 15 innings last season over a month and a half. I would expect a similar thing from him again this year.

Minor leaguers get paid very little. That is the impression that I get anyway. Most probably have to play Winter Ball to make ends meet. I could be wrong.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I thought there wasn't going to be any Dominican winter ball this year.
    Puerto Rico cancelled the season. DomRep, Venezuela and Mexico are playing this year.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Arent these players under great pressure by their countries to play, not like they can just blow it off.
    I'd listen to whatever country is going to pay me $500,000 dollars for throwing a baseball for 50-60 innings next season.

Well, as far as Cueto goes, I think he threw something like 15 innings last season over a month and a half. I would expect a similar thing from him again this year.
    That's understandable. If a guy has some catching up to do, it's not a problem, but throwing guys down there after a full season seems like overkill.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Don't be so certain. What happens in the Winter Leagues is that most of the better local players will report late (mid, late November, early December). In the meantime, teams still have to put guys on the field, so they'll turn to younger players coming back from single A or the Mexican league while they wait for the AA, AAA and MLB players.

That was Cueto's role last year. After December, I'm not even sure he was on the active roster.

This year however, after pitching in AAA, he might actually have a spot on the Aguilas' rotation, in which case he could get as many as 10-15 starts.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?