Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A player the Reds might lose in the Rule V draft

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

A player the Reds might lose in the Rule V draft

This player has been left unprotected on the 40 man roster by Cincinnati and thus eligible to be drafted: Elizardo Ramirez.

I did a little research and this tidbit of info jumped out:
    From Espn-
    June 14, 2006
    "Ramirez strikes out 10 in Reds' victory"
    "Reds' righthander Elizardo Ramirez tossed eight scoreless innings with a career-high 10 strikeouts Wednesday, getting a no decision in Cincinnati's 3-0 victory in 11 innings over Milwaukee; Ramirez (2-5, 3.44 ERA) scattered five hits and walked just one in the longest outing of his young career."

For some reason I think this guy can put together a decent career if he is surrounded by a better bullpen coach now that Hume is gone. As the story mentions above, he can start too and be effective. The price is right for someone wanting to take a chance on him.

Thoughts about EZ? Do you think anyone else left unprotected will be claimed?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A player the Reds might lose in the Rule V draft

Yeah, I always liked the lizard too--Problem is whoever takes him has to keep him on their major league roster all year. Maybe a team like KC or TB takes a flyer

Damn, I'm not to happy about the thought of losing EZ? I thought he had some decent potential.

Isn't he actually a minor league free agent?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Isn't he actually a minor league free agent?
    Yes that is correct. Which means that is not eligible for the Rule 5 draft. However, any team can sign him, including the Reds. But if they did before the draft, he would be eligible, which is why no one will sign him until afterwards.

What's keeping Bowden from signing him? I thought he signed all of our castoffs.

I'd like to resign EZ please. Too good to let go.

Fill-in fodder at best let him go.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

right like he is not better than stanton, coffey coutlangus

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I just received a Private Message and was told that EZ is indeed a minor league FA. What is the rule that allowed Elizardo to become a free agent? Clarification wise, I mean. Don't you have to be a 6 year minor leaguer with the same (Major League) team owning your rights for that entire period? I haven't read the MLFA rule in so long, I have forgotten. So with EZ being on the Reds for some time, how does he get to be a free agent?

The answer to this would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    Vada Pinson Fan

EZ has shown a flash just enough for me to say that I really wouldn't give up on him just yet. I gotta' think he could perform in the bullpen better than Stanton or Coffey. Plus he could be an emergency starter. I'd say give him one more shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    I just received a Private Message and was told that EZ is indeed a minor league FA. What is the rule that allowed Elizardo to become a free agent? Clarification wise, I mean. Don't you have to be a 6 year minor leaguer with the same (Major League) team owning your rights for that entire period? I haven't read the MLFA rule in so long, I have forgotten. So with EZ being on the Reds for some time, how does he get to be a free agent?

The answer to this would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!!!
    Vada Pinson Fan
    He was on the 40 man and cleared waivers to be outrighted to AAA which means as of the end of the season he became a minor league FA.

The Rule 5 provisions and the minor league 6 year rule apply to guys who have never been on a major league 40 roster. Once you've been on a 40 man and you come off by clearing waivers and being outrighted, you are a minor league free agent between seasons.

Drop Stanton and Resign EZ. He’s a valuable guy who can provide long relief and spot starts. Unlike Stanton who is just a gas can at this point.

Turn Off Ads?