Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread

Winter Meetings Thread

I saw this thread recently on ORG, and decided it was a good idea to have a similar thread on The Sun Deck. The Winter Meetings will start in two days, and this thread is for members to suggest what they would like the Reds to do or to report news about moves the Reds have made during their winter meetings.

It is obvious that the Reds need starting pitching. I think the Reds should attempt to sign a #3/#4 through free agency and sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal. I would also seek to acquire a #1/#2 in a trade if I could, as long as we don't drain the farm system too much. Determining if you could re-sign Dunn to a LTC would seem to be a priority, especially if you are considering moving Hamilton in a trade.

Once we had acquired the necessary starting pitching, I would then seek to sign all the young cheap players we have left to 6 year deals like the Indians used to do. It would keep them cheap for a while, and it would give the Reds time to grow into a intermediate organization which can afford to properly reward good players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Winter Meetings Thread

I was out at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville today and saw the sign for the Winter Meetings. I'm pretty anxious to see what comes out of them.

I am pretty excited considering how much wayne is talking compared to normally.

I hope the Reds see what happens w/ Santana ... either they get him, or if the Yankees give up both Ian Kennedy & Phil Hughes for him, then the Reds try to pry one them away (because the Twins still need a 3rd baseman.

EdE & Belisle/Maloney to Twins for Ian Kennedy
    then,
    Hamilton & Belisle/Maloney to A's for Haren OR if that doesn't work out then to the Pirates for Ian Snell

A rotation of:
    Harang
    Haren/Snell
    Arroyo
    Kennedy
    Bailey

Even if we're left w/ Snell, that would a very cheap and very formidable rotation, the Reds would have 1 ace and 4 potential aces (Snell, Kennedy, Bailey, & Cueto).
    Last edited by hippie07; 12-01-2007 at 10:52 PM.

To me, sending anyone to Pittsburgh for Snell is a mistake. In my opinion, he has yet to become a proven starter and could use another year before being mentioned in any trades. Now if he could be acquired for someone cheap, then go for it, but he's not worth a major league ready player. Not yet anyway.

I do worry about trading w/ the Pirates for pitching prospects (Dave Williams, anyone?) -- not that Williams and Snell are the same thing, but I just have bad memories....

I agree. Snell would be a good pickup for a second-teir prospect but I would hate to see the Reds overpay for a young, less than mediocre starter from Pittsburgh right now. If they go with him, then, in my opinion, it would be going against what the front office says is a win now situation. To me Snell is no better than Matt Belisle. I'm not bashing Belise, but the need for another Belise type pitcher would make little sense if they are commited to winning.
    Last edited by fadetoblack2880; 12-02-2007 at 12:36 AM.

I hope that the Reds hold onto Hamilton, but I think WK is seriously offering him in the markets.. I'm afraid he'll start big and work his way down and take whatever pitching he gets ... I fully expect he'll trade Hamilton straight up for a #3 starter (ala Wily Mo for Arroyo) ... only problem is that Hamilton is world's better than Wily Mo, so it's not such a good bargain.

WK's recent comments about how good Hammy is and how hard he's working in the offseason, but not mentioning him in the future of the Reds (like he did w/ Votto) -- leads me to change my mind and believe that WK is not just casually shopping Hamilton.
    Last edited by hippie07; 12-02-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    I hope that the Reds hold onto Hamilton, but I think WK is seriously offering him in the markets.. I'm afraid he'll start big and work his way down and take whatever pitching he gets ... I fully expect he'll trade Hamilton straight up for a #3 starter (ala Wily Mo for Arroyo) ... only problem is that Hamilton is world's better than Wily Mo, so it's not such a good bargain.

WK's recent comments about how good Hammy is and how hard he's working in the offseason, but not mentioning him in the future of the Reds (like he did w/ Votto) -- leads me to change my mind and believe that WK is not just casually shopping Hamilton.
    I agree. I wouldn't mind a Hamilton trade if the Reds can work out a package deal for a starter such as Eric Bedard. I don't really see it happening, but who knows. I do hope they pull the trigger on something next week. I don't really look forward to another eventless Winter Meetings like last year. If they'll open their wallets for a relief pitcher, why not go a little more for a talented starter. It's not like the fans won't return if the Reds start winning. It wouldn't take much. They have more than enough depth for a deal or two. Why not make a run for Santana? Get their name out their and show everyone that they mean business. I don't know that he would waive his no-trade clause to come to Cincinnati, but why not try? Show ESPN that the orginization means business and is ready to bring a winner back.

From what I understand... doesn't the team that deals for him have 72 hours to talk w/ him ... maybe if we offer him the kind of contract extension he's looking for, then he would waive his no-trade clause..

I have to admit, the prospect of landing Santana has caused me to lose sleep. If WK were to pull it off, I'm a poor student an hour's drive from Cincy, but I'd buy season tickets the moment the ink dried.

I do worry about trading w/ the Pirates for pitching prospects (Dave Williams, anyone?) -- not that Williams and Snell are the same thing, but I just have bad memories....
    I agree with you 110% on this one....just the name Dave Williams will probably give me nightmares this evening.

And in Winter Meetings past, have the Reds made that many big splashes? I was trying to think of some of our signings and/or trades coming out of the Winter Meetings but I could think of none....someone possibly help me out/

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It is obvious that the Reds need starting pitching. I think the Reds should attempt to sign a #3/#4 through free agency and sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal.
    Just who is this #3/#4 that can be signed for less than 2 years? There aren't really any good SP in the FA market.

Also the Kennedy/Haren trades that were made up would never happen. Would you trade Harang for an injury prone CF that has had less than 300 ML at bats, and a #5?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Just who is this #3/#4 that can be signed for less than 2 years? There aren't really any good SP in the FA market.

Also the Kennedy/Haren trades that were made up would never happen. Would you trade Harang for an injury prone CF that has had less than 300 ML at bats, and a #5?
    No, but I would take Hamilton (don't agree that he's injury-plauged), for an injury-plagued version of Harang (Haren hasn't been able to stay healthy), especially if I were the A's and had excess pitching and needed an outfield bat ... one that has power, hits for average and has superstar potential...

The A's would be smart to make that deal, no way I would do it if I were the Reds unless I was desperate for pitching (which we are).

Hamilton is our best trade bait. And IMHO, is the best CFer on the market. If a team needs a solid CFer, then Hamilton is the best out there.

I think a straight up deal for a #2 starting pitcher is possible. Maybe we have to throw in an extra prospect.

No, but I would take Hamilton (don't agree that he's injury-plauged), for an injury-plagued version of Harang (Haren hasn't been able to stay healthy), especially if I were the A's and had excess pitching and needed an outfield bat ... one that has power, hits for average and has superstar potential...

The A's would be smart to make that deal, no way I would do it if I were the Reds unless I was desperate for pitching (which we are).

Are you thinking of Hardan rather then Haren? Hardan gets injured every single year. Never heard anything of Haren ever getting hurt to my recollection.

Turn Off Ads?