Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread

Re: Winter Meetings Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    I do worry about trading w/ the Pirates for pitching prospects (Dave Williams, anyone?) -- not that Williams and Snell are the same thing, but I just have bad memories....
    That trade was just a Sean Casey salary dump, what we got back was secondary.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    Just who is this #3/#4 that can be signed for less than 2 years? There aren't really any good SP in the FA market.

Also the Kennedy/Haren trades that were made up would never happen. Would you trade Harang for an injury prone CF that has had less than 300 ML at bats, and a #5?
    You can sign a good #3/#4 to a 1 year deal. Kenny Rogers recently signed one with Detroit. As for Hamilton, it is entirely possible you would trade a Kennedy type for Hamilton if you had a surplus of good starting pitching and you needed a starting outfielder. Haren is a different case, as the A's have always seeked to get 3 prospects back whenever they trade one of their starting pitchers.

List some #3/#4 starters..... I'd like to know who you think the Reds should go after.
    There are no quality SP on the market. Either they have been bad, or been injured.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    List some #3/#4 starters..... I'd like to know who you think the Reds should go after.
    There are no quality SP on the market. Either they have been bad, or been injured.
    Wolf would have been a good target but hes signed now. So I'd targer Clement or Lieber for a one year deal.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    To me, sending anyone to Pittsburgh for Snell is a mistake. In my opinion, he has yet to become a proven starter and could use another year before being mentioned in any trades. Now if he could be acquired for someone cheap, then go for it, but he's not worth a major league ready player. Not yet anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    I agree. Snell would be a good pickup for a second-teir prospect but I would hate to see the Reds overpay for a young, less than mediocre starter from Pittsburgh right now. If they go with him, then, in my opinion, it would be going against what the front office says is a win now situation. To me Snell is no better than Matt Belisle. I'm not bashing Belise, but the need for another Belise type pitcher would make little sense if they are commited to winning.
    I'm not sure which Ian Snell you guys are looking at. I see a guy with quality stuff, two full seasons of big league experience, and is still only 26 years old.
    2006- 186 IP, 74 BB, 169 K's, with a 4.74 ERA.
    2007- 208 IP, 68 BB, 177 K's, with a 3.76 ERA.
    You can see that in 2007 he improved to 6.5 IPS, improved his control, added more strikeouts, and thusly lowered his ERA by a run. This guy has everything you look for in a young pitcher, and is still improving...

No, but I would take Hamilton (don't agree that he's injury-plauged), for an injury-plagued version of Harang (Haren hasn't been able to stay healthy)
    Well Haren has thrown 217, 223, and 222.7 inning each of the last three seasons repectively so you are definitly thinking of Rich Harden...

looks like i'll be hitting refresh every 5 seconds at work the next few days

Not to change the subject from pitching, but I was wondering if anyone else thinks that the catching needs improvement. I don't think the tandem of Ross and Valentin can get it done. I am not sure who is out there, but I would like to see something done here.
    I am not sure specifically, who might be available, but I think that it is a need.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Not to change the subject from pitching, but I was wondering if anyone else thinks that the catching needs improvement. I don't think the tandem of Ross and Valentin can get it done. I am not sure who is out there, but I would like to see something done here.
    I am not sure specifically, who might be available, but I think that it is a need.
    I am kinda' leaning the same way. Too bad Ross can't hit like Valentin, or Valentin play defense and call a game like Ross. (Maybe DH for the catcher!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Are you thinking of Hardan rather then Haren? Hardan gets injured every single year. Never heard anything of Haren ever getting hurt to my recollection.
    Yes, obviously, I got confused between to two - sorry. On the org there's a thread of "would you trade Bruce for Haren straight up?" Tough question because Bruce is an obvious superstar in the making ... but we need pitching .. and I don't think we need Dunn, Hamilton, & Bruce... so, considering we sign Dunn, that makes Hamilton or Bruce expendable.

Would you rather trade:
    Bruce + lesser 'spects for Haren
    OR
    Hamilton & Bailey or Cueto for Haren...

I think when all is said and done Hamilton & Bruce will turn out to have similar production. Hamilton already has MLB success, but is perhaps still more of a risk due to injuries, etc.

However, I think I'd do either trade.

What do you think the A's would ask for for both Haren & Blanton?

Personally I don't think an upgrade at catcher is necessary at all. Many teams win championships with light hitting catchers who can handle a pitching staff and throw out runners. Everyone raves about the Molina brothers, and I think Ross is as good as any of them.

Anyway, it's a moot point. To give you an idea of how weak the catchers market is, the Mets just gave up a top prospect, Milledge, to get Brian Schneider. There are only a handful of catchers who excel at both sides of the game, and they come at a hefty price.

Michael Barrett and Paul Lo Duca are the only free agent catchers left.

Yes, obviously, I got confused between to two - sorry. On the org there's a thread of "would you trade Bruce for Haren straight up?" Tough question because Bruce is an obvious superstar in the making ... but we need pitching .. and I don't think we need Dunn, Hamilton, & Bruce... so, considering we sign Dunn, that makes Hamilton or Bruce expendable.

Would you rather trade:
    Bruce + lesser 'spects for Haren
    OR
    Hamilton & Bailey or Cueto for Haren...

I think when all is said and done Hamilton & Bruce will turn out to have similar production. Hamilton already has MLB success, but is perhaps still more of a risk due to injuries, etc.

However, I think I'd do either trade.

What do you think the A's would ask for for both Haren & Blanton?

Bruce straight up for RICH HARDEN. Not for Dan Haren. Bruce is a premier prospect. I'm reluctant to shop Hamilton until we see a whole season from him - he definitely showed flashed of greatness this year.
    I would flip Votto or Cueto and the A's choice of a second prospect (other than the Reds' top 4 guys) for Dan Haren.
    Last edited by Betterread; 12-02-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Are you thinking of Hardan rather then Haren? Hardan gets injured every single year. Never heard anything of Haren ever getting hurt to my recollection.
    Harden has some of the best stuff in the majors. He's a true #1 starter, when he's healthy. Haren is a good middle of the rotation workhorse.
    Harden has been hurt the last two years but nothing requiring major surgery.

Well, the A's are supposedly shopping Haren & Blanton (I've not read much out of the A's camp that suggests they're shopping Hardan, although they may be)

I've looked around and discovered that the A's are (or at least were) looking for 3rd base, shortstop, and pitching prospects. [Not outfielders which is where we have the most depth]

Plus, the loser of the NYY and RedSox for Santana and the Mets are supposedly coming after Haren - so, we'll have to be pretty competitive w/ our offer if we want to win him.

I'd trade EdE, Baliely/Cueto, and Janish for Haren..... if the A's don't want Janish, maybe we throw in someone like Bray.

Despite what we might think is best - I get the feeling that WK would be cautious yet willing when it comes to trading Hamilton & EdE (I don't get the same vibe w/ Votto, despite the Hatteberg resigning, I feel like WK sees Votto in the future plans).

If WK pulled off the above trade for Haren, he could either hold onto Hamilton or trade him for someone like Snell. (I know that there's conflicting views on Snell's worth, but he is a pitching prospect w/ #1-3 potential, so I think WK would consider it).

A rotation of:
    Harang
    Haren
    Snell
    Arroyo
    Belisle/Cueto

would be a pretty sweet rotation, but I'd almost rather hold onto Hamilton and if more pitching becomes necessary, we could trade him mid-year.

I was unhappy Valentin's option was picked up.
    His defense is poor & his bat is in serious decline ( look at his declining OPS from 2005-2006-2007 ). I would rather have gotten someone else to split time with Ross. Now that we have both signed for 2008 I don't see us getting a 3rd catcher , nor do I see a big trade market for Ross or Valentin.

Turn Off Ads?