Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread

Re: Winter Meetings Thread

Free Agent Starting Pitching Stat Leaders

The Baseball-Reference Play Index is an awesome tool for just $29 per year. Read all about it here.

Let's look at the statistical leaders for starting pitchers.

Looking for a good strikeout rate?
    K/9 Leaders, min 50 IP
    Freddy Garcia - 7.76
    Bartolo Colon - 6.89
    Jason Jennings - 6.45
    Roger Clemens - 6.18

Looking for good control?
    BB/9 Leaders, min 50 IP
    Carlos Silva - 1.60
    Jeff Weaver - 2.15
    Rodrigo Lopez - 2.38
    David Wells - 2.40
    Bartolo Colon - 2.63
    Kyle Lohse - 2.66
    Roger Clemens - 2.82
    Andy Pettitte - 2.88
    Freddy Garcia - 2.95

Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon are on both these lists and are both free agents. I might see if we can sign either in free agency. Silva leading the league in BB/9 may indicate why he is such a hot property as a free agent. I might look at subscribing to this Index next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought about Freddy Garcia, but he won't be back from surgery until June and is still looking for $8mil .... ouch!

Agent Peter Greenberg said he'd begin taking bids for Freddy Garcia at the winter meetings, but that he didn't know if the right-hander would sign then.
    Greenberg said Garcia could wait until completing his rehab from shoulder surgery to sign. "If we did a showcase and we reached a deal," he said, "we'd let a team do a physical and do a Roger Clemens, a prorated deal for that season plus any extra years." It sounds like a very risky strategy, as there are no guarantees Garcia will be healthy in June. If Garcia signs next month, the Mets might be the favorites to land him. "Omar (Minaya, the Mets' GM) has called several times," Greenberg said. "Omar likes him. The Mets were one of the top contenders when the Phillies got him.

There seem to be no guarantees he would be healthy even in June. It seems both he and Colon are returning from injury, but both are outstanding starters when healthy. A team would have to weigh the injury implications if they were considering signing either player.

Sign Bartolo Colon to a one year $7.5 million dollar contract!!! whoot! that would get us winning
    Last edited by AdamDunn; 12-02-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: wrong wording

If I'm WK, I see if BCast will pay for Santana, if so, I offer EdE, Bailey, and Hamilton for him and use the 72-hour window to sign him to a 5yr 25mil per contract... then I go home happy. Although, it might cast the club into some tight financial situations ... what a shot of adrenaline it would be for the Cincy ballclub, fans, and media.

If that doesn't work, then I put the following offers on the table:
    EdE, Bailey/Cueto, Janish, Bray to A's for Haren
    Hamilton, Maloney, Pelland, Guevarra, Stubbs to O's for Bedard

We could have both of those guys for less than what Santana would cost and probably have a better winning record to show for it.

It would be awesome if we could go into the season w/ our projected #2 (Arroyo) moved down to our #4 because our rotation has gotten that much better :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    If I'm WK, I see if BCast will pay for Santana, if so, I offer EdE, Bailey, and Hamilton for him and use the 72-hour window to sign him to a 5yr 25mil per contract... then I go home happy. Although, it might cast the club into some tight financial situations ... what a shot of adrenaline it would be for the Cincy ballclub, fans, and media.

If that doesn't work, then I put the following offers on the table:
    EdE, Bailey/Cueto, Janish, Bray to A's for Haren
    Hamilton, Maloney, Pelland, Guevarra, Stubbs to O's for Bedard

We could have both of those guys for less than what Santana would cost and probably have a better winning record to show for it.

It would be awesome if we could go into the season w/ our projected #2 (Arroyo) moved down to our #4 because our rotation has gotten that much better :-)
    Santana has rejected any trade to a team other than Boston or NY. Haren and Bedard are still possibilities.

Bedard Has No Interest In Extension With O's?

According to Dave Sheinin and Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post, Erik Bedard has informed the Orioles that he has no interest in signing an extension. He's under Baltimore's control through the 2009 season.

The authors indicate that Bedard would cost half the talent Johan Santana will. I don't agree with that assertion - two years of a cheap Bedard is easily worth more than one of Santana, without question. If anything, Bedard should require more talent than Santana to pry loose.

If Bedard will not re-sign with Baltimore, it is in the Orioles best interest to trade him. I would immediately look into a trade with the Orioles if I were Krivsky.

Add Bedard and this team is easily favored in the Central and close to being a NL favorite

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Santana has rejected any trade to a team other than Boston or NY. Haren and Bedard are still possibilities.
    Well, WK could still offer, if he blocks the trade ... then on the Bedard and/or Haren!
    Last edited by hippie07; 12-03-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Add Bedard and this team is easily favored in the Central and close to being a NL favorite
    I think we'll have the talent to acquire Bedard, but it's just a question of what we'll give up and whether or not we can stomach it.

I'm sure that everyone Wayne talks to is going to demand Bruce, if he makes Bruce untouchable and offers others instead (Hamilton).. then, teams will probably get ticked and move on to the Yanks or Red Sox of the world... it'll be tough to be in WK's position - Bruce being the #1 prospect out there makes things tougher for Wayne because alotta teams demand the best you got or no dice (like Billy Beane). I hope he can pull it off though.

What do you see Wayne giving up for Bedard??

We need to go after a guy like Blanton. Not a pitchers like Haren and Bedard. Those types of pitchers will cost the Reds their future.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    We need to go after a guy like Blanton. Not a pitchers like Haren and Bedard. Those types of pitchers will cost the Reds their future.
    The A's are reportedly asking the same for Blanton as they are for Haren (2 top prospects). I don't disagree, though, Blanton would be nice, but just don't expect him to be much cheaper than Haren.

Beane Has High Asking Price For Haren

Did you expect anything different? Billy Beane is happy to field offers on Dan Haren and Joe Blanton, but he'll require a king's ransom for either pitcher. Jayson Stark says Beane asked the Yankees for two of Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, and Ian Kennedy for Haren. With the Red Sox it was two of Clay Buchholz, Jon Lester, and Jacoby Ellsbury. The Mets would have to pony up Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez. With two starters under contract through 2010, Beane and the A's are sitting pretty.

UPDATE, 12-3-07 at 8:35am: I knew the Red Sox belonged in the mix for Bedard. Jayson Stark confirms their interest, and adds a new one in the Phillies. Stark also verifies that the Orioles want more for Bedard than the Twins want for Santana - as in four top youngsters. Stark's source thinks the Orioles will hang onto Bedard.

It seems a high price will be paid for any of these pitchers-ORG suggests that the Reds would have to trade 2 of either Bailey, Cueto, or Bruce to land Barton or Haren. It would require 4 such prospects to get Bedard. It is something to think about as we start the Winter Meetings.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 12-03-2007 at 12:44 PM.

MBTR is reporting the Reds may pursue Dontrel Willis. It may cost them Hamilton and a stud young pitcher.

go for it

Turn Off Ads?