Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 228

Thread: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,860

    Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

    Billy Beane is asking the Yankees for 2 of the 3 between Kennedy, Hughes and Chamberlain, and asking the Red Sox for 2 of the 3 between Lester, Buchholz and Ellsbury.

    Following this logic, it is clear what he would ask for from the Reds: 2 of the 3 out of Bruce, Bailey, and Cueto. (He has no need for Votto because they already have 1B/DH filled.) Would you give up 2 of those 3 for Haren?

    Also, apparently although he has said he has no interest in signing an extension in Baltimore, the Orioles asking price for Bedard is SKY HIGH, as in 4 top prospects. If that's true, I guess we can cross him off of our shopping list.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-03-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    I would give up Bailey and Cueto for Haren, but not Bruce.

    Bailey and Cueto for Haren is probably the easiest decision Wayne would ever have in his GM career.

  4. #3
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    real simple, if thats the case no deal

  5. #4
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,790

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Bruce and either Bailey or Cueto for a 27 year old stud pitcher making less than $7 million per year for the next two seasons, plus an option for a third season.

    I'd make that trade and brag about it. I'd also start thinking about how much to charge for playoff tickets.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  6. #5
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I would give up Bailey and Cueto for Haren, but not Bruce.

    Bailey and Cueto for Haren is probably the easiest decision Wayne would ever have in his GM career.
    Either of Bailey and Cueto and another non-top-4 prospect, not both. And if he thinks he's getting Bruce AND either Bailey/Cueto, he's crazy. You knew the asking price for Haren would be incredibly high though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #6
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    real simple, if thats the case no deal
    Real simple, hypothetical talent (Bailey and Cueto) vs actual talent (Haren).

    Racehorses are real. Unicorns? Not so much.

  8. #7
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Real simple, hypothetical talent (Bailey and Cueto) vs actual talent (Haren).

    Racehorses are real. Unicorns? Not so much.
    Nothing hypothetical about Bailey and Cueto at this point. They are both TOR-type guys... and sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,557

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Hamilton, either Cueto or Bailey (Reds keep the one with better internal scouting report), and a third guy either Stubbs, or Wood, or Roenicke. May not be exactly what Oak wants, but I don't know if anyone will offer more value.

  10. #9
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    I wouldn't assume Votto doesn't appeal to the A's.

    He looks like a better hitter than Daric Barton at this point and Oakland needs offense.

    Also, what the A's are asking and what they can get might be two different things. One of Bailey/Cueto, Stubbs and Maloney might be enough to tempt the A's. Might not, but the Reds don't need to lead with Bailey and Cueto.

    Yet I would say that of all the arms who are supposedly being shopped this winter, Haren is, by far, the most valuable to the Reds. He costs $4M, $5.5M and $6.75M the next three seasons. This is probably the guy Krivsky has to get. If it ultimately costs Bailey and Cueto ... well, we knew this wouldn't be easy.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  11. #10
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I wouldn't assume Votto doesn't appeal to the A's.

    He looks like a better hitter than Daric Barton at this point and Oakland needs offense.

    Also, what the A's are asking and what they can get might be two different things. One of Bailey/Cueto, Stubbs and Maloney might be enough to tempt the A's. Might not, but the Reds don't need to lead with Bailey and Cueto.

    Yet I would say that of all the arms who are supposedly being shopped this winter, Haren is, by far, the most valuable to the Reds. He costs $4M, $5.5M and $6.75M the next three seasons. This is probably the guy Krivsky has to get. If it ultimately costs Bailey and Cueto ... well, we knew this wouldn't be easy.
    What if he insisted on Bruce and either Cueto/Bailey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  12. #11
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,361

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    I'd think long and hard about it.

    Besides, if we deal Bailey and Cueto for Haren, we still have Howington, Gruler, Pauly, and Gardner waiting in the wings......oops.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  13. #12
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    I guess it comes down to if we value POTENTIAL more than RESULTS...I love the potential of both Cueto and Bailey but we have seen Haren dominate his opponents.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  14. #13
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What if he insisted on Bruce and either Cueto/Bailey?
    Bruce would be untouchable if it were up to me. Take him off the table at the start of the talks and smack the opposing GM's hand every time he reaches for Bruce.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  15. #14
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I guess it comes down to if we value POTENTIAL more than RESULTS...I love the potential of both Cueto and Bailey but we have seen Haren dominate his opponents.
    Excellent point.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  16. #15
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bruce would be untouchable if it were up to me. Take him off the table at the start of the talks and smack the opposing GM's hand every time he reaches for Bruce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25