Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

Re: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Probably a sign that these talks are just about over I would say....
    In related news, the Diamondbacks have warned other teams to stay away from their stash of used sweatsocks.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Mark Reynolds is off the table? Mark Reynolds?!
    I was thinking the same thing. He just aint that good. Reynolds had a nice little run last season, but he's 24 and has some major discipline issues.... to the extent that I don't think his bat is great enough to make him even an average regular. Not to mention that he had an unrepeatable .386 BAPIP last season. Once that normalizes, you're looking at a guy who had an enourmously overrated season.

I'd take EE over him without thinking twice..... and I don't think it's very close.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Talks dead in the water, unless someone comes hard at Beane.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=oak

"It's been a quiet day," he said, "which doesn't disappoint me."

Teams continue to inquire about Haren and fellow righty Joe Blanton, but Beane said none of the talks reached a point where specific proposals were presented, and he's told some interested teams that they probably don't have what it would take to land one of Oakland's top two starting pitchers.

"We've been pretty clear," Beane said. "If we were going to do anything, it wasn't going to be a cheap dance for anyone. ... Again, we didn't come here to deal anyone.

"We're not being proactive."

Apparently the only meeting Beane took that might lead to a deal was the one he had with Street's agent, Alan Hendricks. The two sides have been talking about a multiyear contract, and Beane said Wednesday's chat was positive, but nothing is imminent.

A massive rebuilding project probably isn't imminent, either. Beane said as recently as last week that he still wasn't sure how he'd approach the offseason, but he suggested Wednesday that he's inclined to hope for improved health in 2008 and try to add a couple of pieces rather than tear it all down and start a youth movement.

"Yeah, I think we're leaning that way," he said.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?