Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Billy Beane is asking the Yankees for 2 of the 3 between Kennedy, Hughes and Chamberlain, and asking the Red Sox for 2 of the 3 between Lester, Buchholz and Ellsbury.

Following this logic, it is clear what he would ask for from the Reds: 2 of the 3 out of Bruce, Bailey, and Cueto. (He has no need for Votto because they already have 1B/DH filled.) Would you give up 2 of those 3 for Haren?

Also, apparently although he has said he has no interest in signing an extension in Baltimore, the Orioles asking price for Bedard is SKY HIGH, as in 4 top prospects. If that's true, I guess we can cross him off of our shopping list.
    That's what Bean's asking NOW. The Twinkies were asking BOS for Bucholz or Lester AND Ellington or two from the Yanks among Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy and Cano to go along with Melky Cabrera and both teams seem to have slammed the door on them.

If Santana moves and the Yanks or BoSox only pay one topshelf prospect, Beane is going to have a tough time asking for two for Haren. I might go Bailey and Hamilton and a prospect or two, but I want Haren AND Blanton if I do.

I'd love to have a guy like Haren, Harden, Kasmir or Bedard, but I wouldn't give away the store. I'm perfectly willing to take a half step back and go after younger guys like Snell, Baker, Slowey, Blanton etc.

We might not add anyone of significance, but after all of the posturing is done I have to believe that the Reds have enough attractive options that some team will offer up a decent starter without demands that are too excessive.

If not, I hope WK goes with our young guys and doesn't do anything foolish.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Hamilton and Bailey. Keep Bruce, Keep Cueto.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Nothing hypothetical about Bailey and Cueto at this point. They are both TOR-type guys... and sooner rather than later.
    You're right. They've projected to be TOR-type guys, but last time I checked, Harang and Arroyo are rightfully ahead of Bailey in the Reds' SP rotation, and Cueto is the #1 for LOU, not the Reds.

Until they reach their respective projected ceilings, they are far from actual talent.

I would guess that one could expect Beane to lower his expectations when the Yankees laugh at him. Someone tell me why the Red Sox are after pitching again. They are certainly driving the price up on the Yankees and anyone else that might be interested. I hope they do this with someone they don't want and get stuck with him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    You're right. They've projected to be TOR-type guys, but last time I checked, Harang and Arroyo are rightfully ahead of Bailey in the Reds' SP rotation, and Cueto is the #1 for LOU, not the Reds.

Until they reach their respective projected ceilings, they are far from actual talent.
    Right, I agree. I just think they deserve more respect at this point than guys who have all-world talent but have yet to crack AA...

these two have all-world talent and are knocking on the door at the Major League level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    That's what Bean's asking NOW. The Twinkies were asking BOS for Bucholz or Lester AND Ellington or two from the Yanks among Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy and Cano to go along with Melky Cabrera and both teams seem to have slammed the door on them.

If Santana moves and the Yanks or BoSox only pay one topshelf prospect, Beane is going to have a tough time asking for two for Haren. I might go Bailey and Hamilton and a prospect or two, but I want Haren AND Blanton if I do.

I'd love to have a guy like Haren, Harden, Kasmir or Bedard, but I wouldn't give away the store. I'm perfectly willing to take a half step back and go after younger guys like Snell, Baker, Slowey, Blanton etc.

We might not add anyone of significance, but after all of the posturing is done I have to believe that the Reds have enough attractive options that some team will offer up a decent starter without demands that are too excessive.

If not, I hope WK goes with our young guys and doesn't do anything foolish.
    Disagree with the first part of your post, but agree with the second.

I think Haren may fetch more than Santana, especially AFTER Santana is dealt. Whichever team loses the Santana derby is almost guaranteed to make a counter-move, whether its Haren or Bedard, I bet they'll get one of them. This puts Beane in the driver's seat. He may not get 2 of the 3 big guns, but he'll get close to that, otherwise I bet he'll hang onto Haren.

However, I don't believe the Reds need to pay the offer as it stands now. If M2's proposal (Bailey or Cueto with Stubbs and Maloney) got it done, I would do it yesterday. Otherwise I would let them pick one of Hamilton/Votto and one of Bailey/Cueto, but that's about as far as I'd be willing to go. If Beane holds out for more, I'd turn my attention to guys like Capuano and Snell (who may turn out to be a better option anyways, when all factors are considered.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I Someone tell me why the Red Sox are after pitching again.
    Coz the Yanks are (and Vice Versa)
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-03-2007 at 11:05 AM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'd think long and hard about it.

Besides, if we deal Bailey and Cueto for Haren, we still have Howington, Gruler, Pauly, and Gardner waiting in the wings......oops.

What are you saying Joseph?

I would do that deal.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

The Rays are the ones who should jump at Beane's demands. Two of their three minor league star Ps leaves them one to spare and a rotation that starts Kazmir/Haren/Shields.

Re: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

I don't think it's really fair or accurate to compare Bailey and Cueto to Howington, Gruler, Pauly, and Gardner at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Man Pills

I think we'll learn an important lesson this offseason: whether teams value prospects or ripe produce more.

For the record, if that is what Beane's asking, he'll likely get it--and Wayne can't match what the Yanks and Boston are offering. Last offseason maybe, but not anymore.

Bailey and Cueto for Haren. Done.

I wouldn't hesitate or think twice.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Bailey and Cueto for Haren. Done.

I wouldn't hesitate or think twice.
    Yanks and Boston can best that offer. Pretty easily.

Beane would ask for and get Bruce and Cueto.

One of Yanks and/or Boston will eliminate themselves in the Santana sweepstakes.

The leftover party may actually NOT want to beat that offer. At this point, they are bidding themselves up on Santana, with the other gone and not in on Haren, they may pull assets back.

If I were the Reds, I would be strong with Bailey and Cueto, if you need to, toss in Stubbs. But you get Haren if you can. Oakland wants to restock their farm system? Fine, help them do it. But get a horse to plug in with Harang.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yanks and Boston can best that offer. Pretty easily.

Beane would ask for and get Bruce and Cueto.
    But would NYY or BOS best that offer? I can't imagine BOS wants to keep Crisp as their CF; they'd much rather keep Ellsbury, IMO. I could see them dealing Lester and Buchholz, however. If that's the case, then Buchholz + Lester > Bailey + Cueto.

As for NYY, I don't see them shipping Hughes + Kennedy/Chamberlin for Haren. I don't think Melky Cabrera + Hughes = Haren in the eyes of the A's.

Should prove interesting to see how this unfolds.

Turn Off Ads?