Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

Re: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yanks and Boston can best that offer. Pretty easily.

Beane would ask for and get Bruce and Cueto.
    My prediction? Santana goes to the Sox. With Pettite returning to the Yanks, its unclear whether or not they really need another starter. Even if they do, they have declared Joba Chamberlain untouchable. I don't think they'll put Hughes and Kennedy in the same deal, especially with Pettite coming back for one more year. If that's the case, I don't see how the Yanks could beat the Reds' offer of one of Hamilton/Votto and one of Bailey/Cueto. If they offer both Bailey and Cueto, its a done deal as Beane would take it immediately IMO.

The key piece in all of this is actually Miguel Cabrera. If he goes to the Angels as is being discussed, everyone is predicting Beane will go into full-blown firesale mode. That would expedite the moving of Haren, Harden, and possibly Blanton as well. Remember, this is the same guy that traded away Hudson and Mulder in the same offseason.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-03-2007 at 11:47 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    But would NYY or BOS best that offer? I can't imagine BOS wants to keep Crisp as their CF; they'd much rather keep Ellsbury, IMO. I could see them dealing Lester and Buchholz, however. If that's the case, then Buchholz + Lester > Bailey + Cueto.

As for NYY, I don't see them shipping Hughes + Kennedy/Chamberlin for Haren. I don't think Melky Cabrera + Hughes = Haren in the eyes of the A's.

Should prove interesting to see how this unfolds.
    Then there you have it--I imagine Boston would pretty easily relinquish that package, though I kind of doubt Beane would want Lester, with his health concerns.

I don't think Boston in a million years deals Bucholz & Lester for Haren. Hell, they won't offer that for Santana apparently.

That's why I think a Bailey/Cueto offer would potentially be so compelling in a run at Haren.

No way do I give up Bailey and Cueto for Haren. People can say all they want about I value prospects too much, but seeing both of them pitch and seeing the top of their games, there is no way I am giving up that much top end talent in a single deal. Can't do it if I am going to be running a team with a payroll under 90 million dollars. I know Haren is cost effective, but having both Bailey and Cueto in the rotation 2008(9)-2011 at even more cost effective prices I would take my chances at letting them pitch in it and holding onto them.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't think Boston in a million years deals Bucholz & Lester for Haren. Hell, they won't offer that for Santana apparently.

That's why I think a Bailey/Cueto offer would potentially be so compelling in a run at Haren.
    My guess is that Beane's not high on Bailey. He'd much prefer Bruce to Bailey (heck, who wouldn't?). I imagine he'd really like Cueto.

The only thing helping the Reds' cause in terms of reducing the number of suitors for Haren is that Boston may believe they already have enough starting help.

The only thing helping the Reds' cause in terms of reducing the number of suitors for Haren is that Boston may believe they already have enough starting help.
    If that's the case, then why are they bidding for Santana? Unless its just to drive the price up on the Yanks (which I doubt, as I don't think they'd risk losing a player like Ellsbury and/or Lester if they weren't sincere), they will be in on Haren, especially if the Yanks get Santana.
    Go BLUE!!!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I'm not sure I see Beane using Haren as anything more than trying to get someone to dearly overpay. It might not win the deal, but I wouldn't offer anymore than one of Bailey/Cueto.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If that's the case, then why are they bidding for Santana?
    Because Santana's a once-in-a-generation talent. Haren's not.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

My guess is that Beane's not high on Bailey. He'd much prefer Bruce to Bailey
    Why, because you're not?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Why, because you're not?
    Great minds...

But seriously, you'd kind of have to be out of your mind to prefer Bailey to Bruce. I can't claim any special insight there.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not sure I see Beane using Haren as anything more than trying to get someone to dearly overpay. It might not win the deal, but I wouldn't offer anymore than one of Bailey/Cueto.
    I wouldn't rule anything out with Beane, but I don't know if this is the case. He has moved young top of the rotation guys before, in both Hudson and Mulder. If the Angels get Cabrera, I think that he really doesn't believe that the A's can compete, in which case he could pull a Marlins and sell off everyone for prospects.
    Go BLUE!!!

Why, because you're not?
    He's no Adam Wainwright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Why, because you're not?
    Lack of command and control would be the top 2 knocks on Bailey in the eyes of Beane, IMO.

Being a thrower and not a pitcher should be in the top 3.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Great minds...

But seriously, you'd kind of have to be out of your mind to prefer Bailey to Bruce. I can't claim any special insight there.
    I've heard from Reds people that Cueto may end up being better than Bailey as well, so it wouldn't surprise me...

I can't say based on anything I've seen, because I haven't seen Cueto. Bailey still has work to do, but it's too soon to determine what type of career he'll have.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 12-03-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    He's no Adam Wainwright.
    For one.

Turn Off Ads?