Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

Re: Here's what Beane is asking for Haren...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    For one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would try offering up Bruce straight up for Harren first and if that doesn't work, maybe put in another prospect like Stubbs or Roenicke. If that doesn't work, I would see if Hamilton/Bailey would get it done. Neither will probably work, but I think they're fair trades.

I love Harren and I'm usually pretty gung-ho about trading for proven pitching talent at a high premium, but I do feel like 2 top 3 prospects is maybe a bit much to ask.

Same offer I'd make for Scott Kazmir: Bailey, Stubbs and Pelland. Substitute Hamilton for Stubbs if you have to and that trumps both the BoSox and Yankees offer IMO.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Re: Here's what it would take for Haren...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I would give up Bailey and Cueto for Haren, but not Bruce.

Bailey and Cueto for Haren is probably the easiest decision Wayne would ever have in his GM career.
    Between a stud pitcher and a stud corner outfielder, I'd give up the outfielder.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Between a pitcher and a stud corner outfielder, I'd give up the pitcher.
    Fixed that for ya.

You got the stud COF part correct. The stud pitcher part, not so much.

If we can gain a stud pitcher while giving up two pitching prospects, it's like taking candy from a baby.

Bailey and Cueto will have their training wheels on for at least 2008 and 2009. I know I'd rather have Haren for 2008 and 2009 than having to watch Bailey and Cueto learn to crawl, walk and then run. Haren can already run.

What would it take to get Blanton or Harden?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

We should have saved Denorfia for this trade! Stupid Krivsky!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I guess it comes down to if we value POTENTIAL more than RESULTS...I love the potential of both Cueto and Bailey but we have seen Haren dominate his opponents.
    EXACTLY! Look at what you are getting in Haren. Do we know what we are going to be getting in the others, other then what a projection is telling us?

Like M2 said - you don't have to start out with these guys on the table; but when you look at the market on solid pitchers in their prime, that he is highly desired, what other teams could be offering, and how you'd be locking this kid up at a very reasonable price for the next three years.... then how can you pass up on this deal?

When I look around at what is available right now, this is the one player I'd only consider doing that deal for. If one thinks that highly of Bailey and Cueto, that they are the solution for this rotation in the near future, then they need to come out and say so and quit these useless discussions/inquiries into guys like Willis, Livan, etc.

And I think it could be done without Bruce.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-03-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bruce would be untouchable if it were up to me. Take him off the table at the start of the talks and smack the opposing GM's hand every time he reaches for Bruce.
    Not me.....I would rather deal Bruce than either Bailey or Cueto. The mindset just has to change here folks.

If you keep try to hang onto position player prospects at the cost of top starter prospects, you are going to repeat the previous 12 years over and over again.

The Braves won for a decade plus on the backs of 3 starting pitchers. The position players simply came and went.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Not me.....I would rather deal Bruce than either Bailey or Cueto. The mindset just has to change here folks.

If you keep try to hang onto position player prospects at the cost of top starter prospects, you are going to repeat the previous 12 years over and over again.

The Braves won for a decade plus on the backs of 3 starting pitchers. The position players simply came and went.
    I can't imagine anyone is confusing Bailey or Cueto with Maddux, Smoltz or Glavine. If they are, then that mindset has to change.

True, but you are also overlooking the fact that position player prospects have a much better chance of actually panning out than pitching prospects. That has to be factored in.
    Go BLUE!!!

Golly, if only I valued pitching ...

I've got one untouchable, Jay Bruce. Every other prospect would be on the table, bat or pitcher. It's got nothing to do with offense vs. pitching, it's based on Bruce being the surest thing this franchise has produced in a quite a while. While pursuing pitching hither and yon, I think it's critical to keep a hold of Bruce so that you have something to build your offense around in the coming years.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

You're talking about the consensus #1 prospect in professional baseball. This is not the caliber of position player who will "come and go."
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Golly, if only I valued pitching ...

I've got one untouchable, Jay Bruce. Every other prospect would be on the table, bat or pitcher. It's got nothing to do with offense vs. pitching, it's based on Bruce being the surest thing this franchise has produced in a quite a while. While pursuing pitching hither and yon, I think it's critical to keep a hold of Bruce so that you have something to build your offense around in the coming years.
    M2 ninja'd me.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I can't imagine anyone is confusing Bailey or Cueto with Maddux, Smoltz or Glavine. If they are, then that mindset has to change.

I doubt anyone confused the young Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz with the HOF versions.

Even HOF start out as prospects.

Turn Off Ads?