Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting approach to road rage in Florida

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Interesting approach to road rage in Florida

http://www.expeditersonline.com/artm...le_006549.html

Road rage bill would clear Florida’s left lanes
    By Keith Goble, state legislative editor - Land Line
    Nov 21, 2007, 09:33

A Florida state lawmaker is renewing his effort to keep most drivers out of the state’s fast lanes.

Sen. Mike Bennett, R-Bradenton, has prefiled a bill for the 2008 regular session that is intended to combat aggressive driving on the state’s multilane highways by reducing the number of drivers in the far left-hand lane. This is the fifth year in a row the bill has been offered in the state.

Dubbed the “Highway Safety Act,” it would give law enforcement more authority to ticket drivers who block traffic, even if they are driving the speed limit in the left lane. A failure to stay to the right would be included as one of the offenses that make up “aggressive careless driving.”

Three different years the bill died in committee and it was vetoed in 2005 by then-Gov. Jeb Bush. He said it would punish people who are driving the speed limit for not getting out of the way of speeders.

Bennett has since changed the bill to address some of the concerns.

The newest effort would prohibit travelers from driving in the left lane of a multi-lane highway when they are about to be overtaken by another vehicle. Previously, the bill allowed law enforcement to issue citations to drivers who used the left lane for anything other than passing.

Opponents say the bill is “code for increasing speed limits” and supports the actions of speeding drivers rubbing up behind slower drivers. Supporters say the measure would avert dangerous situations where frustrated motorists stuck behind a slower-moving vehicle try to pass on the right.

The bill also changes, from two to three, the number of driving offenses that must be committed at one time to constitute “aggressive careless driving.”

Violators would face a $100 fine in addition to any other fines. Repeat offenders would face as much as a $500 fine and a mandatory court appearance. Drivers also would receive points for each offense committed.

The bill – S658 – is awaiting assignment to committee for the session that begins in March.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting approach to road rage in Florida

What a horrible bill.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Disagree, this is a wonderful idea. People who clog up the left lane are just as big a hazard as those who drive too aggressively.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Disagree, this is a wonderful idea. People who clog up the left lane are just as big a hazard as those who drive too aggressively.
    Illinois already has such a law and several other states are already looking into it. Florida is the first one I've seen that used road rage as the reason. Illinois lawmakers stated that the left lane has to be kept clear for emergency vehicles.

Whatever the reason, this is something that should be a ticketable offense in all 50 states. We could debate what the penalty should be, but I would say that the incorrect use of lanes on the highway is one of the biggest traffic hazards out there, whether that is people clogging up the left lane or the idiots who pass on the right and weave in and out all the time. If everyone just kept right when driving and passed on the left, the highways would be a much more civil (and safer) place.

I'm just wondering why Florida took longer to address this issue, since this seems to be more of a problem there. In comparison, I've rarely encountered this in Texas. I'm usually over in the right lane watching everyone fly by me on the left.

Years ago you didn't need a law to mandate the left lane for passing---courtsey and common sense ruled and drivers drove accordingly. But times have changed, there are more cars on the road, everyone's in a hurry etc. But, especially, the common sense thing has gone out the window.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I could not agree more. Whenever I drive there is some who won't move over. The reason people come up behind these people is because they are expecting these idiots to move over. Slower traffic to the right, not slower traffic not going the speed limit.

Out on the interstate it is crazy to think you just cruise down the left lane going 65. But people do it. And they are the ones responsible for more road rage than everything else combined I bet.

I agree that the left lane is for passing, always have ..... but to pass a bill so speeders won't take their rageful aggression out on those who are not necessarily breaking the law is the wrong approach.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I agree that the left lane is for passing, always have ..... but to pass a bill so speeders won't take their rageful aggression out on those who are not necessarily breaking the law is the wrong approach.
    They are breaking the law as much as someone speeding. You just don't know a lot of people who have been ticketed for it.

Who decided that speed limit signs are to be obeyed but slower traffic to the right signs can be ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Who decided that speed limit signs are to be obeyed but slower traffic to the right signs can be ignored?

Who decided that the speed limit doesn't apply to the left lane?

President Eisenhowser

Its up to the police to enforce the speed limit not other drivers.

People in the left lane should extend the common courtesy that we were all taught in drivers ed...slower moving traffic keep right.

I agree 100% with the bill as a way to cut down on road rage and the dangers involved of having to go around someone who has taken it upon themselves to set the speed limit for everyone else while in the left lane.

And it shouldn't have to be up to the police to enforce the lane issue.

My guess would be a bill like this is just a way to make sure people are made aware of the issue. Playing a PSA with a threat from the law is going to make more people take notice and it will create discussions like this one. Just playing a few actual PSAs that mention the issue isn't going to do near as much good.

If Florida had put out a PSA asking people to be courteous, we wouldn't be discussing it right now.

While they're at it, I hope they come up with a way to nail all those oldsters who crawl along forgetting that their turn signals are still on...

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    And it shouldn't have to be up to the police to enforce the lane issue.

My guess would be a bill like this is just a way to make sure people are made aware of the issue. Playing a PSA with a threat from the law is going to make more people take notice and it will create discussions like this one. Just playing a few actual PSAs that mention the issue isn't going to do near as much good.

If Florida had put out a PSA asking people to be courteous, we wouldn't be discussing it right now.

They run a pretty aggressive PSA campaign down here telling people not to use a gun in a violent crime but they do it anyway.

Relying on peoples courtesy is the reason we have a problem in the first place.

Speed limit is 65.

Someone is in left lane going 65.

Someone approaches going 80.

Ticket is awarded to whom?

Turn Off Ads?