Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #12 Prospect?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Dickerson

4 4.65%
  • Danny Dorn

22 25.58%
  • Carlos Fisher

8 9.30%
  • Juan Francisco

13 15.12%
  • Carlos Guevara

1 1.16%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

1 1.16%
  • Tyler Pelland

5 5.81%
  • Adam Rosales

6 6.98%
  • Neftali Soto

1 1.16%
  • Daryl Thompson

4 4.65%
  • Justin Turner

1 1.16%
  • Chris Valaika

3 3.49%
  • Pedro Viola

3 3.49%
  • Brandon Waring

5 5.81%
  • Sean Watson

9 10.47%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #12

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #12

At this point I have no real problem with Dorn, Fisher or Watson as the choice, but I continue to go with Rosales who I think has the highest floor of the group. The bar for a supersub is lower than for a starting pitcher or corner OF and I think Rosales is most likely to be a plus in his eventual role.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I can't take the pressure anymore: Dan Dorn.
    Ahhh, someone agrees with me.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Like who? I am sure some of us have plenty of information on these guys to maybe give some insight to these players potential.
    Okay. One guy that I have no clue why people like is Carlos Fisher. He had borderline good numbers last year. He only struck out 135 in 154 IP. Strikeouts are a key area when I evaluate a player. He gives up more than a hit per inning. Another part is that the opposition hit .273 off him last year. I just don't see too much potential there, or atleast not as much as I see in Waring.

If you voted for him, please tell me why. Thanks.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Okay. One guy that I have no clue why people like is Carlos Fisher. He had borderline good numbers last year. He only struck out 135 in 154 IP. Strikeouts are a key area when I evaluate a player. He gives up more than a hit per inning. Another part is that the opposition hit .273 off him last year. I just don't see too much potential there, or atleast not as much as I see in Waring.

If you voted for him, please tell me why. Thanks.
    I didn't vote for him, but he has a fastball in the 90-94 range and a very good sinkerball that gets a solid number of groundballs. For a sinkerball pitcher, he actually gets a high number of strikeouts. His size is very projectable and while he seems 'old' he didn't start pitching until he was 21 and a senior in college, so his arm is actually young.

His numbers in AA were very good through 7 starts, then he began talking about having a tired arm and then his numbers went into a decline. It will be interesting to see how he rebounds next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Fisher throws ground balls, which is great, and in time he could turn out as a back-of-rotation guy in the major leagues, but in terms of starting pitchers I think Watson and Thompson would be higher on my list. I also think Pelland and Viola are worthy of consideration for the top 20.

My own opinion is that Fisher belongs in the 20-25 range. He'll turn 25 before next season. He had a 1.49 WHIP at AA. He easily mastered both low and high A levels, but he had a lot of AA innings and was quite hittable.

Doug, you might consider Jordan Smith, Marcus Macbeth and Rafael Gonzalez for the next round.
    Is Marcus McBeth still a prospect? He spent some time in Cincinnati last year.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Is Marcus McBeth still a prospect? He spent some time in Cincinnati last year.
    He still qualifies as a rookie, so yes.

It may seem silly to some, that I keep voting for Sam LeCure.

Well, it seems no more silly to me than Devin Mesoraco being voted into the top ten.

It's more of what we hope will happen than what will actually happen at this point.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-04-2007 at 03:26 AM.

Waring 20 homers in under 270 at bats sticks out

I'm glad it looks like Dorn will take this one, I can finally start voting for someone else.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'm glad it looks like Dorn will take this one, I can finally start voting for someone else.
    It was close early, but he took off after about 45 votes were in.

Pelland needs to win once so I can do the same.

While I am an avowed Francisco voter here, it is interesting to compare a group of starters -- above low-A -- who seem to be in the same general prospect tier. These are Lecure, Thompson, Watson, and Fisher. I'm leaving out Jordan Smith and Rafael Gonzalez who haven't gone above the Dayton level.

Lecure has the best results at the highest level, AA. Watson has the biggest frame, but may be a reliever eventually and struggled at High-A. Fisher didn't do very well at AA, but he has the ground ball knack. Thompson did well at High-A and is the youngest.

I think they are relatively close. I'd probably go with Watson, Lecure, Thompson, and Fisher as the order, but they are certainly bunched. Watson has the frame, apparently throws the hardest, and is relatively young for the group. Lecure and Thompson have had success, with Lecure's at the higher level. Fisher had problems at AA, so for now I'd put him fourth. But it could flip flop completely next year depending on how they do.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-04-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Amen! Amen! Amen!

Ain't that the truth.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    At this point I have no real problem with Dorn, Fisher or Watson as the choice, but I continue to go with Rosales who I think has the highest floor of the group. The bar for a supersub is lower than for a starting pitcher or corner OF and I think Rosales is most likely to be a plus in his eventual role.
    I see Rosales being the next Keppinger in a few years.

Turn Off Ads?