Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Tomko?

Why Tomko?

Why on Earth would the Reds entertain this? Enough of the re-treads and has beens (Or in Tomko's case the never-was). I'd rather see Cueto struggle at the Major League level then Tomko get rocked like usual.

I mean really. This guy is horrible.

Per MLBTR: Brett Tomko's agent met with the Rockies today. Brown says the Pirates, Nationals, Marlins, Reds, and Rangers are after him too. Separately it's been said that the Astros are in on him too. The Padres made a weak $1.5MM offer to Tomko.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why Tomko?

He is about a league-average #5 starter who can be had pretty cheap. The Reds might think both Bailey and Cueto will not be ready for Cincinnati at the start of the year, so they would be interested in acquiring someone like Tomko for 2008, especially if he will not cost much.

Oh wow... why do I get the feeling that this means that the Reds are expecting to trade Bailey and want someone to hold down the #5 until Cueto is ready.....

I don't know about being a league average No. 5 starter. He went 4-12 last year and he has consistently put together bad year after bad year.
    I wouldn't even consider him as a fall back if they can't put together a trade. I'd much rather see fall back options of Shawn Chacon, Jon Lieber of Jeff Weaver.

But they aren't likely to come as cheap.

I look at it this way, you pay for what you get. He would be cheap, and he would have us wishing for Kirk Saarloos or Eric Milton back. Let pass and see what else is out there. Maybe Kris Benson or something like that would come along as a better offer.

And why in the world would we trade Homer. Homer will be cheap for us for the next three years, I don't see him going anywhere.

He has a career ERA of 4.62. He has been a bullpen pitcher the last 2 years, a unfamiliar role for him. I would not be against the Reds signing him if he would give us a 4.62 ERA as a fifth starter.

I think Hippie makes a good point. If they're looking for #5 starters, Homer Bailey must be involved in a trade.

He got released by the dodgers last year ... why on earth would we want him.

If he is cheap, sign him. The Reds have zero depth at starting pitcher this year, not even bad options. They don't even have five guys on the roster with major league experience. They need to sign some back of the rotation guys just to fill out the roster.
    I am no fan of Tomko, but he is better than nothing, and nothing is what the Reds have now in terms of starting pitching depth.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Oh wow... why do I get the feeling that this means that the Reds are expecting to trade Bailey and want someone to hold down the #5 until Cueto is ready.....
    Not necessarily. We could have Harang-Arroyo-Belisle-Bailey- Tomko as our starting 5 next year. We will not see Cueto until the All-Star Break at the very earliest. Once Cueto is ready, Belisle or Tomko could go into long relief. I don't think the Reds will trade either Bailey or Cueto unless they are blown away by a trade offer.

Would you rather than Tomko or Shearn in the 5 spot until Cueto is ready?

I dont see a problem with this at all. Hes not horrible and we didnt spend a ton of money on him nor did we give any of our own players for him. Cueto is not ready and it doesnt necessarily mean Tomko is gunna start anyways, hes worked out of the pen as well.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I pass on Brett Tomko. Been there. Done that.

I fart in Brett Tomko's general direction.

Why Tomko? Because right now he's better than what we have. I don't know why everyone thinks Cueto and Bailey are automatically gonna be fine in the rotation all year long - didn't we see what happened last year with Bailey? If this is cheap (e.g. $2M) I'm cool with it.

Turn Off Ads?