Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bowden gets another outfielder (Elijah Dukes from Tampa Bay)

Bowden gets another outfielder (Elijah Dukes from Tampa Bay)

Some details on Dukes

OK we just had someone with knowledge of the situation explain how this went down. Indeed, Stan Kasten and Jim Bowden had an off-site meeting this morning at a hotel near the airport with Elijah Dukes. Also present, according to the source, was Dmitri Young, who has some personal knowledge of Dukes because his younger brother Delmon was with Dukes in Tampa - they rose through the system there, and were supposed to be the offensive players around which the Rays were supposed to be built.

In return, it appears the Nationals are yielding only a "player to be named later." That's what one official with knowledge of the talks told me. Tampa needs a roster spot (though former National Josh Wilson was just claimed off waivers). The buzz does not seem to be that the Nats will be giving up anything of significant value. This is a "take-a-troubled-player-off-the-hands-of-another-team" deal, it seems.

This morning's meeting was obviously to discuss character, struggles, etc. Get past that for one second, though, and listen to what Dan Jennings, the scout who originally signed Dukes with Tampa, just told Sheinin:

"I think it's probably a good move for the kids. He is extremely talented. He has every tool you'd want, with good up-side still there. I think it's good for him and his career to get out of the Tampa area."

Jim Bowden obviously has a history with reclamation projects (see his most recent: Young, Dmitri) and likes giving second chances. But I asked one official what they do now with four starting-caliber outfielders - Kearns, Pena, Milledge and Dukes. "You can't have too much," the guy said. "You always need more."

This will be very interesting to see how the Nationals frame this addition.

We do know that they have been keeping tabs on Dukes. Tim Tolman, the third base coach, is Dukes's coach in winter ball in the Dominican Republic. Dukes had no problems down there - until the other night, when he was ejected and got in the face of an umpire. Still, Tolman has been vouching for Dukes, and I have talked to three people today who saw him play down there and said he was just phenomenal.

Meeting with club officials is in 90 minutes. I'll get you as much as I can before and after.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bowden gets another outfielder

Jim Bowden can stockpile all the OFer's he wants. He's done it his entire career. Bowden seems more interested in finding the next Barry Bonds rather than winning a world championship. He always has.

Senor Votto

Rays send Dukes to Nationals

Rays send Dukes to Nationals
    By Jeff Passan

Monday, Dec 3, 2007 4:04 pm EST
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Washington Nationals Rehabilitation Program took its newest – and toughest – client Monday when they acquired troubled outfielder Elijah Dukes from the Tampa Bay Rays for a player to be named later.

Dukes, who allegedly threatened to kill his ex-wife and their kids earlier this year and has run into myriad problems with drugs and discipline, joins Lastings Milledge as the latest young and extremely talented player with attitude issues brought in by Washington.

The Rays have tried to offload the 23-year-old Dukes since the middle of the season, when they placed him on the inactive list. Dukes was hitting .190, though his 10 home runs led rookies at the time, and he's got tremendous plate discipline, a cannon arm and all the physical tools to succeed.

Mentally ... well, that's another story. Nationals GM Jim Bowden fancies himself Father Flanagan, it seems, and the Nationals held a meeting today with Dukes and first baseman Dmitri Young, as Barry Svrluga notes.

Can't imagine the tenor of that meeting.

Nats: Elijah, are you done beating women?

Dukes: Yes, sir.

Nats: Elijah, you still getting high every day?

Dukes: No, sir.

Nats: Elijah, do you promise not to get in the face of umpires like you did in the Dominican Republic earlier this week? You know, the place where you're trying to rehabilitate your reputation and show you're not insane?

Dukes: Yes, sir.

Nats: Welcome to Washington!

Re: Rays send Dukes to Nationals

Bowden doing his best to acquire way too many outfielders again

Looks like another similar thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63970

I really think its hard to fault this acquisition. Sure, the Nats have to many outfielders. But when your in full rebuild mode you acquire free talent whenever and however you can. Dukes may be a head case, but when you can get a guy who was a top 20 prospect very recently for a PTNBL, you just have to do it.

They got this guy...
    http://thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Glenn-Gibson.shtml
    He looks like decent prospect.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Didn't see it

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: Bowden gets another outfielder (Elijah Dukes from Tampa Bay)

I read a great line about Elijah Dukes coming to Washington at TSN.
    I'm paraphrasing but it went something like this:Best thing about Elijah Dukes coming to Washington is that he'll have a Federal Courthouse nearby.
    Wish I thought of it. LOL!

Turn Off Ads?