Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds going for Dontrelle Willis?

Reds going for Dontrelle Willis?

CNNSI
    The Reds may make a play for Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis. Cincinnati finally has decent prospects to trade -- starting with pitcher Homer Bailey and slugger Joey Votto. Josh Hamilton, last year's feel good story, also should have good value now.

Hmmm...whacha think?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...oop/index.html
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Are the Reds targeting Willis?

The Reds may pursue Dontrelle Willis. I was thinking they might, the fit makes sense. A package with Josh Hamilton and one of the Reds' stud pitchers might be required though. Also keep in mind that Joe Frisaro said the Marlins plan to keep Willis at least until July.

There is some talk on mlbtraderumors.com about this. It would seem the Marlins are interested in Hamilton and Bailey OR Cueto, but they should not get this. I would offer Hamilton and Maloney, and see if they are serious about actually trading Willis before July. I might even seek to replace Hamilton with Griffey or Dunn. Willis was a good starting pitcher once, but he really has a lot to prove.

Re: Reds going for Dontrelle Willis?

NO. Not Bailey and Votto. No way. Maybe Votto only, but that's as far as I would go.

I would give up a package of Hamilton/Votto/Maloney for him, but I think they would want one of Bruce/Cueto/Bailey.

Maybe they would have interest in EdE since they are shopping Cabrera. In that case I would do EdE/Hamilton/Maloney for Willis/Mike Jacobs/Prospect.

Not interested. Move on past this idea. I think the real Dontrelle is the Dontrelle we've seen the past 2 years. Not worth the price.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

The price is pretty high...based on the quote that I provided. However, I would love to add Dontrelle to our lineup.

I'd like to get Willis, but considering him as an ace is a mistake. Bailey + Votto is the package you go with to get an ace, and I would not do that deal for Willis. Perhaps one of them, not both.

Make an offer if you don't like counter get out and walk.

I really hope WK doesn't do something stupid like Hamilton & Bailey/Cueto for Willis. I'm afraid he will though, maybe he feels he'd would lose out for Bedard, Haren, Blanton.... but in all honesty... EdE, Hamilton, Bailey should land one of those guys, which I would be much more comfortable w/ than Willis - who, is a good pitcher but is much more of a risk.

Would you do EdE, Hamilton, Maloney for Willis?? Personally, I'd try Hamilton & Maloney alone, but I'm pretty sure the fish won't go for it.

To be honest with you, I'm not too excited about losing Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    I really hope WK doesn't do something stupid like Hamilton & Bailey/Cueto for Willis. I'm afraid he will though, maybe he feels he'd would lose out for Bedard, Haren, Blanton.... but in all honesty... EdE, Hamilton, Bailey should land one of those guys, which I would be much more comfortable w/ than Willis - who, is a good pitcher but is much more of a risk.

Would you do EdE, Hamilton, Maloney for Willis?? Personally, I'd try Hamilton & Maloney alone, but I'm pretty sure the fish won't go for it.
    Wouldn't give them Hamilton, Bailey, Cueto, or Bruce.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Willis's 2005: 34 starts, 22-10, 7 CG, 5 SHo, 236 1/3 IP, 213 hits, 79 runs, 69 er, 50 walks, 170 strikeouts, 2.63 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .243 BAA

Willis's 2007: 34 starts, 10-15, 205 1/3 IP, 241 hits, 131 runs, 118 earned, 29 hr, 87 walks, 146 strikeouts, 5.17 ERA, 1.60 WHIP, .294 BAA.

Dontrelle Willis simply is not the ace pitcher he was in 2005. and the Marlins are kidding themselves if they think they will still get the same return now that they would have in 2005. I would start with Maloney and Griffey or Dunn, and see if they are really serious about trading him before July. He is a #4/#5 right now, and the Marlins will simply have to accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Willis's 2005: 34 starts, 22-10, 7 CG, 5 SHo, 236 1/3 IP, 213 hits, 79 runs, 69 er, 50 walks, 170 strikeouts, 2.63 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .243 BAA

Willis's 2007: 34 starts, 10-15, 205 1/3 IP, 241 hits, 131 runs, 118 earned, 29 hr, 87 walks, 146 strikeouts, 5.17 ERA, 1.60 WHIP, .294 BAA.

Dontrelle Willis simply is not the ace pitcher he was in 2005. and the Marlins are kidding themselves if they think they will still get the same return now that they would have in 2005. I would start with Maloney and Griffey or Dunn, and see if they are really serious about trading him before July. He is a #4/#5 right now, and the Marlins will simply have to accept that.

I replied to this topic under the 'winter meetings thread'.

NO WAY we give up anything good for Willis.
    His trade value is more like Freel & an A ball prospect NOT Bailey/Cueto/Hamilton/etc.
    Nor would I trade Dunn for him.

Count me as another one that is afraid Wayne will make a stupid move to get Willis after losing out on Haren/Bedard

We may lose Dunn anyway if we cannot extend him.

Turn Off Ads?