Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto Invited to Spring Training

Cueto Invited to Spring Training

I wasn't sure to post this here or in the minor league forum, so the mods can put in where they see fit. However, this is from Fay.

Johnny Cueto has been invited to big league camp, although he's a long shot to make the club. To get him ready, he's been shut down at Winter Ball. "He's up to about 200 innings," Krivsky said, "get some rest and come into spring strong."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto Invited to Spring Training

Cueto to camp: Pitching prospect Johnny Cueto has been shut down from pitching for the year. Cueto is 4-1 with a 2.84 ERA in an impressive six-start stint with the Agulias club in Dominican winter ball. The right-hander, who has walked seven with 37 strikeouts, has logged 193 innings combined over the regular season and winter ball.

Krivsky said Cueto would be invited to Major League camp as a non-roster player at Spring Training. It remains to be seen if the 21-year-old will be given a shot at making the rotation.

"He's got [four] starts in Triple-A," Krivsky said. "He's had a heck of a year. [He'll] get some rest and come into Spring Training fresh and we'll see what he looks like."

Over three Minor League levels this season, including Triple-A Louisville, Cueto was a combined 12-9 with a 3.07 ERA in 161 1/3 innings.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I wouldn't mind picking up another starter and having Cueto and Bailey in the pen.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I wouldn't mind picking up another starter and having Cueto and Bailey in the pen.
    That's an interesting thought, 5 decent arms in the pen sounds good to me. I really don't know about those in the rotation yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

"He's got [four] starts in Triple-A," Krivsky said. "He's had a heck of a year. [He'll] get some rest and come into Spring Training fresh and we'll see what he looks like."
    hope he doesnt look like a tired pitcher...man all those starts in winter ball, why?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    hope he doesnt look like a tired pitcher...man all those starts in winter ball, why?
    They're trying to get him used to pitching under Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    They're trying to get him used to pitching under Dusty Baker.
    Nice
    Go Gators!

Having them both in the pen might be an interesting idea. I think I heard the crafty left hander propose that or maybe it was Brantley actually. Not sure.

If homer doesn't make the rotation though who the heck fills those spots - Belise, ???, ???

I gues we REALLY BADLY need another starter. or two!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Don't most guys from the DR go back and play for their hometown teams in the winter. I remember hearing about established guys even heading back and playing
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Does anyone know how many innings Cueto may have pitched in the winter leagues last season?

He didn't have any innings pitched during the playoffs the past two seasons and if he didn't pitch in the 2006 winter leagues, that means the Reds front office have just allowed him to increase his innings pitched by 55 innings this season. That's shocking! I hope Cyclone792 doesn't see this.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Does anyone know how many innings Cueto may have pitched in the winter leagues last season?
    He did pitch in the winter league last season. I believe it was 21 innings that he pitches last year.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    He didn't have any innings pitched during the playoffs the past two seasons and if he didn't pitch in the 2006 winter leagues, that means the Reds front office have just allowed him to increase his innings pitched by 55 innings this season. That's shocking! I hope Cyclone792 doesn't see this.
    Like the saying goes, it's not pitching so much as pitching while tired that's dangerous. I'm fine with them shutting him down to get better rested for spring training, but I don't think his light work in the winter league is going to hurt him. He took six weeks off and then had one non-taxing start per week for six weeks; his fatigue level is nowhere near what would be suggested by combining it all into a 193-inning "season." Not all innings are equal.

I think he pitched in the winter leagues last year, he just didn't get the ball much.
    Not all who wander are lost

Remember, Cueto didn't pitch for almost 2 months after the regular minor league season ended. Now he won't pitch for more than 2 months before spring training.

Plenty of rest. I bet Bailey feels to rested.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He did pitch in the winter league last season. I believe it was 21 innings that he pitches last year.
    Thanks. If your correct, that means Cueto only increased his innings pitched over last season by 39 innings. That's cool for any pitcher who jumped three leagues last season. Maybe about two starts more than I woul'd have let him go, but I'm down with that.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Like the saying goes, it's not pitching so much as pitching while tired that's dangerous. I'm fine with them shutting him down to get better rested for spring training, but I don't think his light work in the winter league is going to hurt him. He took six weeks off and then had one non-taxing start per week for six weeks; his fatigue level is nowhere near what would be suggested by combining it all into a 193-inning "season." Not all innings are equal.

I think he pitched in the winter leagues last year, he just didn't get the ball much.
    I think just about everyone here has said not all innings are equal. Maybe not though. I was just asking a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Remember, Cueto didn't pitch for almost 2 months after the regular minor league season ended. Now he won't pitch for more than 2 months before spring training.

Plenty of rest. I bet Bailey feels to rested.
    I was just asking a question about the amount of innings Cueto pitched last season, and the increase that the Reds Front office allowed him to pitch this season. I'm still curious...

You think Bailey feels well rested? How many simulated innings did he pitch in instructs?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

And we have got more from Fay.

talked to a scout last night who has seen quite a bit of Johnny Cueto.

\"I\'ve got him making the team out of spring training,\" he said. \"He really competes. His stuff is good. He\'s got good command and he can racket up his fastball when he has to.\"

I mention this because it appears the Reds are hedging their bets, if they can\'t trade for a starter. (And, by the way, it sounded like Dusty Baker thought they were getting Dontrelle Willis). Anyway, there are reports the Reds have talked to the agents for Brett Tomko, Jon Lieber and Glendon Rusch.

It\'s nice to bring in veteran guys, but it seems to me it\'s rarely worked with the Reds. See Joe Mays, et al. I\'d rather roll the dice with a young guy than hope an older guy can find himself again. The problem is Reds would be rolling the dice with three young guys -- Cueto, Homer Bailey and Matt Belisle.

Turn Off Ads?