Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which of your favorite sports teams would you most want to see win its championship?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cincinnati Reds World Series Championship

47 69.12%
  • Cincinnati Bengals Super Bowl Championship

2 2.94%
  • Cincinnati Bearcats NCAA Mens Hoops Championship

1 1.47%
  • Kentucky Wildcats NCAA Mens Hoops Championship

6 8.82%
  • Ohio State Buckeyes Football BCS Championship

2 2.94%
  • Cleveland Browns Super Bowl Championship

1 1.47%
  • Other (please specify)

9 13.24%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Sports Team, and Your Favorite Championship

Your Favorite Sports Team, and Your Favorite Championship

Most sports fans are fans of multiple sports, some fans being fans of a wide array of teams or individuals in a wide array of sports. Any given sports fan is usually a fan of two, three, four, sometimes even more different sports teams among different sports. RedsZone is a Reds board, but reach outside MLB's reigns and RZers oftentimes are quite different in who their favorite teams are in other sports.

So I'll ask a question here that I've asked to others before, and to me it's an interesting question that oftentimes yields some pretty interesting answers because it cuts right down to which single sports team an individual is tied to the most emotionally.

You have the choice of only one of your favorite sports teams - across any and all sports - winning its respective league championship. You get to experience that full season - regular season and any playoffs - in whatever way would be the most fulfulling to you, but you only get to experience it for one season and for only one of your favorite teams.

Which team would you want to win its respective league championship in the future, and why?

Would it be a Reds World Series victory? A Bengals Super Bowl? An NCAA hoops championshp? A BCS Championship? Your favorite NBA team winning the NBA Finals, or your favorite NHL team winning the Stanley Cup? Perhaps something else?

I expect this to be a little bit biased in one certain direction because of the type of sports forum I'm posting this on, but I still expect the answers to be interesting.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 12-03-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Re: Your Favorite Sports Team, and Your Favorite Championship

Reds World Series victory in 1990...actually got to go to all of the playoff games between Cincy and Pittsburgh and the two games at home vs. Oakland....lots of great memories... hanging with Ohio U students who also made the trek to Pittsburgh...the celebration in downtown Cincy after the NL playoffs....sleeping in my car to get World Series tix the next morning. Unfortunately I get the feeling it may have been a once in a lifetime moment.

For a Level Playing Field

I am a die-hard Bengals, Ohio State and REDS fan. But the REDS (and baseball) have always been #1 in my heart. I was a 9-10 year old when the BRM won it, but I didn't really get it. I am plenty old enough to remember 1990 and loved that feeling. I want that 1990 feeling again in my middle-age years. So much so that I'd give my left... uhh, umm, left pinky toe to have it.

I love the Reds and Bengals dearly... but UK basketball is number one for me.

From this list the Reds obviously, but Florida at most sports would be 1st, not that I don't love the Reds but I grew up with Florida.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    From this list the Reds obviously, but Florida at most sports would be 1st, not that I don't love the Reds but I grew up with Florida.
    Do you keep this information secret from your neighbors??

I'll gladly take a Reds championship but I voted other and would say the Celtics. Been 21 years since their last title.

The Reds, easily. I was only three years old when the Reds last won a World Series. The Reds always have and always will be my favorite sports team, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Do you keep this information secret from your neighbors??
    Bunch of Bengal fans near me, what are they gonna say?
    Go Gators!

Reds
    Bengals
    Buckeye Football
    UC Basketball
    My alma mater in any sport (will NEVER happen. This one would be second to the Reds if there was any chance in hell of it ever happening).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    So I'll ask a question here that I've asked to others before, and to me it's an interesting question that oftentimes yields some pretty interesting answers because it cuts right down to which single sports team an individual is tied to the most emotionally.
    Great topic Cyclone. One thing though, I'm not so sure about the part of your post that I've quoted. I don't necessarily think that it reveals which team that you're most emotionally attached to rather, for me at least, it's the team that I've endured the most hardships with. Let me elaborate.

I'm old enough to have seen the Big Red Machine play and have great memories of them. Obviously I remember the 1990 title as well. Three World Series championships in my lifetime is more than most fans my age can claim of their favorite team.

I got to see the Buckeyes win a title just a few years back and, quite frankly, it's not very tough to be a Buckeye fan. They are consistently contending for league and national titles and their down periods are few and far between.

My answer without hesitation would be to see the Bengals win a Super Bowl. We as Bengals fans have been the epitome of "long suffering". We've cheered for a team that was a national joke for the better part of a decade due to their ineptitude on the field. Then we get a small taste of success and it's right back to punchline status with their troubles off the field. Tell someone you're a Bengals fan and it elicits laughs, smirks, and any number of dismissive comments. It seems like you're constantly defending your status as a fan. I've been through a lot with that team and I'm still on board. A Super Bowl win (however unlikely) would be about the sweetest sports experience that I can think of.

That doesn't necessarily mean I have more of an emotional attachment to the Bengals though. I don't "love" them any more than the Reds or Buckeyes, but a title sure would put a lot of demons to rest...if only for a season or two.

ATLANTA THRASHERS~!

I've been around for a few Reds WS wins, and while I always want another one, I need a Stanley Cup in Atlanta.

Need.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The Reds are far and away my favorite sports team, but for many of the same reasons BuckWoody mentioned I think a Super Bowl win by the Bengals would be the most satisfying. I'm also a fan of the St. Louis Blues, who have never won a Stanley Cup. If the Bengals could win the Super Bowl and the Blues win the Stanley Cup, I would be a very happy man. I am more emotionally invested in the Reds, but I can remember three championships. That's pretty darn good and more than a lot of sports fans can say.

Senor Votto

Easily the Reds and the Bengals at a close 2nd.

No question about it, the Reds are my #1...

a close #2 is my WV Mountaineers Football team
    a long shot #3 are the Bungals, they are my fav. NFL team but compared to the top 2 I could really care less what they do! So really the Reds and Mountaineers are the only teams I will shed tears for, and yes I have shed for both of them!

Turn Off Ads?