Turn Off Ads?

Thread: PGA Tour Qualifying

PGA Tour Qualifying

Wondering if anyone watches the Big Break on the Golf Channel? And if yes, did you notice that former Big Breaker, Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey made it through the final stage of qualifying today and earned a tour card?

For anyone who hasn't seen a show it is a golf reality show where players compete for a chance to play in a pro tournament. There have been Nationwide Tour, European Tour, PGA Tour and LPGA Tour exemptions handed out on the series.

"Two Gloves" is a guy from South Carolina who appeared on the series twice (once on a reunion show) and has his nickname because he wears two gloves while playing every shot. He is quite the character and a heckuva player. I'm so excited that he has made the PGA Tour on a full time basis. I'll be cheering for him.

So anyone else have any clue what I am talking about?

Feel free to post any other golf thoughts here as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: PGA Tour Qualifying

This is an article from before the tournament that concluded today:

FLORENCE — Tommy Gainey has fought long odds in his golf career.
    That’s why the Bishopville native isn’t too worried going into one of the biggest tournaments he has ever played.

Gainey and the other 150 or so hopefuls will tee it up Wednesday at Orange County National Golf Center in Winter Garden, Fla., in the final stage of the PGA Tour Q-School. The top 25 golfers in the six-round, 108-hole event earn full status on the PGA Tour next year. The next 50 finishers get full status on the Nationwide Tour, as well as a select number of PGA Tour events.

“There’s no pressure,” Gainey said Tuesday. “I chose this life. God has blessed me with this talent and ability, and I know I have what it takes play the game and am good at it.
    “I know the better I play, the more opportunities as far as sponsorships and everything that there will be.”

This is Gainey’s seventh attempt to qualify, but the first time he’s reached the final stage. Gainey reached this point in dramatic fashion two weeks ago in Texas. Gainey, who was at even-par going into the final hole of the final round, knew he probably needed an eagle on the par-5 to be in the top 20 and advance. Facing a second shot from 256 yards out into a stiff wind, Gainey hit a 3-wood within four feet of the hole and sank his eagle putt to finish tied for 13th and earn his spot in the final stage.

“He is a great guy, and for him to make it out there would be unbelievable,” said Kevin Zemnickas, head golf pro at Dunes West Golf Club in Mount Pleasant, where Gainey worked for four years. “You need more stories about more regular guys making it the hard way. They appreciate it more.”

If Gainey makes it on the Tour, the man called “Two Gloves” for his use of two golfing gloves will bring his country flavor and different approach to the PGA, much like John Daly and Boo Weekley have done in recent years.

“I don’t sugarcoat things. I go out there and tell it like it is,” said Gainey, who wears two gloves from his baseball-playing days as a kid.

“I’m just a good ol’ boy who has come up hard.”

Gainey, whose brother calls him “a sober John Daly,” hasn’t had an easy path to get to this
    point in his career. Gainey was his team’s No. 1 golfer at Bishopville High School, but was never recruited to play collegiately. Instead, he worked jobs at A.O. Smith Water Heater factory and moved furniture back in the 1990s when his parents were having health problems. His big chance came when his friend Cliff Wilson put up a $750 entry fee to play in a TearDrop Tour event where he won the $15,000 first-place check.

“I was broke and never had any money growing up,” Gainey said. “God has blessed me with a lot of good people, who have given me a good opportunity.”

It was still a few more years after that until Gainey began to get noticed. He took a job at Dunes West as a cart attendant in 2000 and began impressing members by shooting in the 60s against them on a regular basis.

And it wasn’t just the members who Gainey began to impress. Zemnickas remembers the first time he played with him.They were on the par-5, 531-yard 11th hole, and Gainey was about 250 yards out with the pin tucked near the back with a slight breeze. So Gainey used a 3-wood and stuck it on the back edge of the green.

“I thought he was the craziest person for doing that, but that’s just him,” Zemnickas said. “He’s got a lot of heart. It’s awesome, everything he has done.”

From there, Gainey labored on various mini tours such as the Hooters, Gateway and TarHeel before getting a big chance to appear on the Golf Channel’s “Big Break IV: USA vs. Europe.”
    Gainey made such an impression he was asked back for the “Big Break VI: Reunion” which he won earlier this year. Since then, he finished fourth on the money list on the TarHeel Tour, appeared in two Nationwide Tour events and earned a spot in his first PGA event, The Wachovia Championships in Charlotte.

Gainey’s stints on the Big Break have increased his popularity in and outside of the Pee Dee. While playing in the Nationwide event at The Cliffs, fans spelled out “Two Gloves”on T-shirts to cheer him on.

“What they see is a down to Earth country redneck they can relate to,” Gainey said. “They see (a guy who’s) not dumb and does the right thing, doesn’t get into fights or (get) arrested and (they) can relate to me.”
    http://www.scnow.com/midatlantic/scp...1-25-0012.html

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Gainey spins a ball more than any golfer I've ever seen.

His RPMs are ridiculous with his scoring clubs.

Good for Tommy. He was struggling down the stretch yesterday. I'm glad he hung on.

Q-School is brutal. I went 5 times and never made it to finals. I don't think there's another job where one week of work determines your next year or rest of your career.

My friend and former roommate, Brad Adamonis, qualified in 10th place. I'm really happy for him.

I actually just got back Sunday night from Daytona Beach. I was caddying for the LPGA Q-school finals, which happened to be at the same time as the men. I caddied for Su A Kim. She played great and came in 2nd place. What a nerve-racking week!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

John Feinstein's golf books document Q-school quite entertainingly well.

True "thrill of victory, agony of defeat"-type stuff.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Good to see that Franklin native Frank Lickliter regained his card.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

This is impressive. I'll be pulling for two gloves as well.

Gainey, who was at even-par going into the final hole of the final round, knew he probably needed an eagle on the par-5 to be in the top 20 and advance. Facing a second shot from 256 yards out into a stiff wind, Gainey hit a 3-wood within four feet of the hole and sank his eagle putt to finish tied for 13th and earn his spot in the final stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I actually just got back Sunday night from Daytona Beach. I was caddying for the LPGA Q-school finals, which happened to be at the same time as the men. I caddied for Su A Kim. She played great and came in 2nd place. What a nerve-racking week!
    Congrats! Are you going to be working with her next year?

Any idea how man "Kim's" are on the LPGA Tour? 45-50?

Really happy for Two Gloves. Not many guys get to the PGATour taking the route he did.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Congrats! Are you going to be working with her next year?

Any idea how man "Kim's" are on the LPGA Tour? 45-50?

Really happy for Two Gloves. Not many guys get to the PGATour taking the route he did.
    She would like for me to caddy for her next year and her agent would as well, but I don't want to caddy full-time again. Too much travel. I'm happy being a golf instructor in Cincy.

There are so many Kim's. I actually caddied for Nari Kim a couple of years ago. I heard that approximately 24% of Koreans have the last name Kim. That's a lot. Could you imagine if 24% of the United States had the last name Smith?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't think there's another job where one week of work determines your next year or rest of your career
    A lot of us called it the Bar Exam.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

She would like for me to caddy for her next year and her agent would as well, but I don't want to caddy full-time again. Too much travel. I'm happy being a golf instructor in Cincy.

There are so many Kim's. I actually caddied for Nari Kim a couple of years ago. I heard that approximately 24% of Koreans have the last name Kim. That's a lot. Could you imagine if 24% of the United States had the last name Smith?
    Hey if you don't mind saying, what do you make caddying for a week at Q-school? Or did you do it for the good weather?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Hey if you don't mind saying, what do you make caddying for a week at Q-school? Or did you do it for the good weather?
    I don't mind. The warm weather was nice, but I did do it for the money. For this event, the pay was pretty good. I got $1500 just to show up which is almost the standard. If she made the cut I got an additional $300 and another $300 if she got her tour card. Fortunately, she did all that and finished 2nd so she gave an additional bonus as well. Not a bad week of work. But you do have to keep in mind that I had to pay for all my expenses to get down there, the rental car, condo fee, and it was 8 days of caddying.

This was definitely a higher paying week than normal events. Typical LPGA tour caddies make $700-$800 a week plus percentages. 10% for a win, 7% for a top 10, and 5% for a cut. On the PGA Tour, the caddies make $1000-$1200 per week plus percentages. Nowadays, it's pretty easy to make over 100 grand on the PGA Tour caddying. That's a lot of money for carrying a golf bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    A lot of us called it the Bar Exam.
    I stand corrected.

Turn Off Ads?