Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings First Day In Review

Winter Meetings First Day In Review

For one, evidently the Santana deal didn't get done. We've heard about WK "kicking the tires" on Dontrelle Willis, Tim Lincecum, and Brett Tomko --which I'm all for WK being aggressive and pursuing all SP options.

What we haven't heard is the Reds metioned w/ the Santana, Haren, Bedard, Blanton's of the World ... does that mean anything? I dunno. I hope that Wayne will at least consider inquiring about these guys.

From what we're hearing, Votto & Bruce are nearly untouchable, but Hamilton & EdE are being shopped -- I'd like to see the following things:
    Hamilton, Maloney & Roenicke for Tim Lincecum
    If this trade goes down it would make Bailey/Cueto less imperative, so I'd turn around and do the following:
    EdE, Bailey/Cueto, Stubbs & Wood for Bedard or Haren.

Harang
    Bedard/Haren
    Arroyo
    Lincecum
    Belisle/Cueto

Last edited by hippie07; 12-03-2007 at 11:40 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Winter Meetings First Day In Review

The Giants say that Linceum and Cain are close to being untouchable.

Brian Sabean is getting a bit annoyed with teams thinking Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain are available. They're pretty much not, but since the door is open a crack it may be inhibiting other deals. Sabean did admit that one team made an "interesting" offer for Lincecum. Any guesses?
    Just saw this over on MLBTR ... oh well, I wouldn't go crazy for Lincecum, if I were going to extremely overpay.. I'd rather it be Haren ...

Krivsky: Starter a priority

Wayne Krivsky said the Reds are looking for a starting pitcher at the Winter Meetings.

"It's a priority," Krivsky said.

If you come to this blog regularly, you know that about as specific as Krivsky gets when talking about moves.

All 29 other teams have starting pitching somewhere on their Winter Meetings shopping list as well. But it sounded like Krivsky is fairly confident the Reds can make a trade.

"Trade talk is at much high pitch than last year," he said.

Other tidbits from the scribe session with Krivsky:

--Johnny Cueto has been invited to big league camp, although he's a long shot to make the club. To get him ready, he's been shut down at Winter Ball. "He's up to about 200 innings," Krivsky said, "get some rest and come into spring strong."

--The Reds are open to Eddie Guardado and Eric Milton returning, albeit at a drastically reduced price. "Those are two guys will keep in touch with," Krivsky said. The declined offering either arbitration.

--There are no untouchables. "Every organization has players who would be awfully hard to get," Krivsky said. "Someone would have to grossly overpay to acquire them. It’s unrealistic to think that’s going to happen." In other words, Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey or Cueto aren't going anywhere.

A lot there to digest. Cueto will be in spring training, Guardado and Milton have been contacted by Krivsky, and Bruce, Cueto, and Bailey are going nowhere unless someone overpays in a trade.

Yanks added Phil Hughes and Twinkies still aren't impressed. (yawn)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,55851

They're asking for the world and I hope nobody bites at Santana and he walks after next season or their price comes down at the trading deadline next year. That would be funny.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Krivsky: Starter a priority

Wayne Krivsky said the Reds are looking for a starting pitcher at the Winter Meetings.

"It's a priority," Krivsky said.

If you come to this blog regularly, you know that about as specific as Krivsky gets when talking about moves.

All 29 other teams have starting pitching somewhere on their Winter Meetings shopping list as well. But it sounded like Krivsky is fairly confident the Reds can make a trade.

"Trade talk is at much high pitch than last year," he said.

Other tidbits from the scribe session with Krivsky:

--Johnny Cueto has been invited to big league camp, although he's a long shot to make the club. To get him ready, he's been shut down at Winter Ball. "He's up to about 200 innings," Krivsky said, "get some rest and come into spring strong."

--The Reds are open to Eddie Guardado and Eric Milton returning, albeit at a drastically reduced price. "Those are two guys will keep in touch with," Krivsky said. The declined offering either arbitration.

--There are no untouchables. "Every organization has players who would be awfully hard to get," Krivsky said. "Someone would have to grossly overpay to acquire them. It’s unrealistic to think that’s going to happen." In other words, Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey or Cueto aren't going anywhere.

A lot there to digest. Cueto will be in spring training, Guardado and Milton have been contacted by Krivsky, and Bruce, Cueto, and Bailey are going nowhere unless someone overpays in a trade.
    WK sure appears to be a changed man in regards to his openess to discuss the team's direction.

Just happy that Cueto has been shut down. About time.

Most of the people on this board are seriously, SERIOUSLY undervaluing Josh Hamilton.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Here is my prediction for what will happen this week in Nashville, Reds wise.

1) The Reds will sign Brett Tomko to a small two year deal worth $4M or less.
    2) The Reds will trade EE to the Giants for Noah Lowry.
    That is all that will happen in the Nashville.
    Later, in January, when most of the Free Agents are signed, Krivsky will pick up a few starters off the scrap heap for close to the minimum, hoping that one of them comes through in Spring Training.

The Reds will not trade any of the big four, and will only trade Hamilton if they get a young, solid #2 or better pitcher in return. (although they will probably have to add some level two prospects to get that accomplished.)

Those Josh Hamilton rumors are real - and the Reds are asking for Sean Marshall. I think the Cubs would pull the trigger on that one. Jerry Crasnick first suggested this match about five hours ago. He thought Marshall wouldn't be enough and I agreed. Guess we'll see. Sullivan notes that Lou Piniella had some contact with Hamilton back when he managed the Devil Rays.

A trade of Hamilton to the Cubs will depend on whether or not Kosuke Fukudome signs with them. He's a left handed center fielder with power.

No need for the Cubs to make a decision until they know about Fukudome.

I really hope we don't trade him for that kind of mediocrity, especially in the division. The Cubs would kick our butts for the forseeable future.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

really Marshall is the same dude that couldnt beat out Jason Marquis for a rotation spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Those Josh Hamilton rumors are real - and the Reds are asking for Sean Marshall. I think the Cubs would pull the trigger on that one. Jerry Crasnick first suggested this match about five hours ago. He thought Marshall wouldn't be enough and I agreed. Guess we'll see. Sullivan notes that Lou Piniella had some contact with Hamilton back when he managed the Devil Rays.

I'd rather trade Hammy to the Pirates for Snell if I were going to undersell him to a Central division team.

Do you have a link?

I think I'll probably lock myself in a room for a few days, eat ice cream, and not shave if this deal goes down.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Turn Off Ads?