Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds in the mix for Bedard

Reds in the mix for Bedard

Didn't see this anywhere yet, so sorry if it's posted in another thread.

From mlbtraderumors.com

UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 9:32am: The Mets are still hawking Gomez, trying to get Bedard. Joel Sherman adds the Tigers to the list of teams after Bedard, bringing the total to ten. He says the Tigers and Phils are getting creative trying to get Bedard.

FROM 12-4-07 at 8:45am:

How many teams are after Erik Bedard? The tally yesterday included the Phillies, Cardinals, Yankees, Mets, Mariners, Angels, Dodgers, and D'Backs - that's eight. The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec and Dan Connolly check in with the latest on the Orioles' ace.

There's been a ton of trade interest in Bedard (as you might expect). Andy MacPhail is still talking about signing him to an extension, but no one really buys it. The package he'll get in trade should rival what the Twins get for Johan.
    The Dodgers, Mariners, and Mets have been pursuing Bedard the most aggressively. More meetings with the Mets should occur today. The Mariners could make an intriguing offer built around Adam Jones and Brandon Morrow.
    A new team is added to bring the tally to nine: the Reds are interested. However, Jay Bruce is off the table.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds in the mix for Bedard

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    Didn't see this anywhere yet, so sorry if it's posted in another thread.

From mlbtraderumors.com
    Good call on denying Bruce!!! Now, be stingy and offer Hamilton and someone for him..sign him LT ASAP and I'm happy.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

For some reason, I feel like WK is targeting those pitchers that he wouldn't have to give up Bailey/Cueto like Cain/Linecum, or someone that he can trade Hamilton straight up for.. which I don't really have a problem w/...

It would probably take Hamilton, EdE, Cueto/Bailey... at least ... I still want him though

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    For some reason, I feel like WK is targeting those pitchers that he wouldn't have to give up Bailey/Cueto like Cain/Linecum, or someone that he can trade Hamilton straight up for.. which I don't really have a problem w/...

It would probably take Hamilton, EdE, Cueto/Bailey... at least ... I still want him though
    Right, I agree with that. Trade a package of secondary talent to recieve a top notch talent. Or elite talent (Hamilton) for top notch talent. Dont overspend but get the player wanted.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Winter meetings
    O's Bedard a wanted man
    As contract talks with Orioles cool, interest from around majors heats up
    Erik Bedard

With the Twins' Johan Santana unavailable to most teams, Erik Bedard (above) is viewed as the next best thing. (AP photo / July 2, 2007)

By Jeff Zrebiec and Dan Connolly | Sun reporters
    December 4, 2007

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - With Minnesota Twins ace Johan Santana reportedly headed to either the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox, Orioles left-hander Erik Bedard has become the most coveted pitcher at baseball's winter meetings.

Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail spent yesterday meeting with several clubs, and Bedard - as well as shortstop Miguel Tejada to a lesser extent - was the dominant topic of conversation. MacPhail declined to specify how many teams have expressed interest in the 28-year-old pitcher, but one team source said calls about Bedard were coming in "left and right."

"There has been a lot of activity on him," said MacPhail, who has identified several teams who he believes have enough talented young players in order to consummate a deal.

MacPhail's recent acknowledgment that contract extension talks with Bedard have "cooled" has led to an increase in interest on Bedard, team officials say. However, MacPhail has made it clear to suitors that the Orioles are still exploring extending Bedard to a long-term deal and might not trade him.

MacPhail and Mark Pieper, Bedard's agent, denied media reports that the pitcher has informed the club he is set on becoming a free agent after the 2009 season and will not sign an extension with the Orioles.

"That's not what the agent told me," MacPhail said. "I did characterize the conversations as having cooled. I think things could heat up again. There hasn't been a 'we're out' type of thing."

Pieper declined to discuss reasons the talks stalled, but he confirmed he didn't tell MacPhail he isn't interested in further dialogue.

"I can't really tell you what's going to happen," said Pieper. "All I know is that [report] is just not true. [Bedard] wants to keep his options open, and he hasn't ruled anything out."

The Los Angeles Dodgers, Seattle Mariners and New York Mets have been the most aggressive in pursuit of Bedard. MacPhail and Mets general manager Omar Minaya talked by phone yesterday and could meet today about Bedard. The Mets already have offered outfielder Carlos Gomez, reliever Aaron Heilman and pitching prospect Phil Humber but were rejected.

One baseball source called the Mariners a "dark horse" in the Bedard sweepstakes if they would be willing to put together an offer that included outfield prospect Adam Jones and pitcher Brandon Morrow.

The Cincinnati Reds also are interested in Bedard but aren't willing to discuss top outfield prospect Jay Bruce.

At this point, the Orioles are looking for an offer - similar if not better - to what the Twins are requesting from the Yankees and Red Sox for Santana, a two-time Cy Young winner. That is basically two top-quality, ready-to-play young major leaguers and a third prospect.

Although he is not as accomplished as Santana, Bedard has less mileage (barely half the number of big league innings), is the same age (eight days older than Santana), is cheaper and is signed through 2009, a year longer than Santana.

One major league general manager said Bedard's value was "less than Santana, but not by much."

And Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Bedard may not be Santana, but he'd still be a welcome addition.

"I don't think any pitcher in baseball is going to have value like Santana - not this year and not in the next couple years," Guillen said. "With his name on the [trade] map, nobody is close to him. But when you talk about Bedard, you talk about the best left-handers in baseball, not just the American League. He has to be in the top three to five guys. His value is pretty high, a lot of people talk about him and we all like him."

The Orioles also met yesterday with the St. Louis Cardinals to discuss a potential deal with Tejada. It doesn't appear to be a good fit because the Cardinals aren't interested in moving outfield prospect Colby Rasmus and their farm system is relatively thin.

MacPhail met with the San Francisco Giants about Tejada but apparently didn't make any progress. The Houston Astros and Angels also are interested.

The Chicago Cubs have expressed interested in second baseman Brian Roberts, but the talks haven't progressed too far, according to an industry source.

The club is exploring several free-agent relievers. The Orioles had talks with the agent for reliever David Riske but dropped out when learning his price tag.

jeff.zrebiec@baltsun.com dan.connolly@baltsun.com

Based on this , we would need to trade 2 young major leaguers and a third prospect to land Bedard. I imagine we would need to give up 2 of Votto, Hamilton, Encarcion, or Bailey and a third prospect probably from AAA.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 12-04-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post

I agree, SP are a premiium and to give up potential stars is a risky business. All it takes is an injury and we are down pitchers! Just like we are now. Trade for what you can but do not give up Bailey or Cueto! I don't want to see Bruce gone either. I would love to see Bedard or Cain or Lincecum in a Red's uni but not at the high price of our young SPs.

Bedard and Tejeda plus part of Tejeda's salary to the Reds for EE, Bailey, Majewski, Coffey, and others.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Bedard and Tejeda plus part of Tejeda's salary to the Reds for EE, Bailey, Majewski, Coffey, and others.
    It would be nice to have a RH bat and I would love to plug Tejeda in at cleanup for a couple years (even though he's said to be declining defensively), but it would take much for talent than you're offering

It would prob take Hamilton, EdE, Bailey just for Bedard.
    Hamilton, Cueto, 2nd tier prospect for Bedard.
    EdE, Maloney, Bray for Tejada....

Even that probably doesn't get it done ... but its fun to guesstimate

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Edwin and Bailey wouldnt get us Bedard alone much less throwing in crap to get Tejada.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Edwin and Bailey wouldnt get us Bedard alone much less throwing in crap to get Tejada.
    Based on my article earlier in this thread, it would seem that 2 young, top-quality, major league ready players and a third prospect would land Bedard. Edwin and Bailey wouldn't do it, but add a third prospect and it might get done. You might have to substitute Hamilton for Edwin, however.

Gary Redus Ruled

The Reds are in the mix on Bedard as much as Im in the mix for Alba....I'll believe it when I see him in a Reds uniform
    Hoping for another Reds October

They are one of 10 teams talking to the Orioles about Bedard.

I think the Reds could land him for EE, Hamilton, Maloney and Dickerson. According to the O's website they want 4 prospects who either are ready, or have major league experience. I don't like to give up Maloney, but it might be necessary. The Reds should not give up either Cueto or Bailey at this point. They shouldn't really consider Pelland or Viola at this point either.

11:25 a.m., from Amy Nelson

• Teams inquiring about Erik Bedard have been told that it's going to take a superior package of prospects, and the Orioles are telling clubs they already have four teams with very promising packages.

I have been told that shutting down Cueto COULD have been for reasons other than just getting an invite to spring training..

Turn Off Ads?