Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Sickels on the Reds system

John Sickels on the Reds system

John Sickels runs a website, www.minorleagueball.com and he is doing a Top 20 run down for every team and a Top 35-40 for each team for his Prospect Handbook that he puts out every year. Today he is writing the Reds portion of the book and tomorrow will release the Top 20 guys, but he chmed in on the site with this to say about the Reds system:

Working on the Reds farm system today.

Good Lord.

This system is loaded. You have the top quartet of Bruce/Cueto/Votto/Bailey, but even beyond them there is a good combination of performance guys and projection guys. My initial run through came up with 49 names worth writing about. I have narrowed that down to 39, which is the most I can put into the book. Even that, some of the guys I cut I wish I could put in.

Take heart, Reds fans. You have a lot to look forward to.

Tomorrow the list comes up hopefully, but thought this would be something nice to post over here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Sickels on the Reds system

Well even if its nothing more than hype and fury, it at least should create a buzz that could lead to help for the big league club via trade, assuming WK can use the hype to our benefit.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

That's awesome to read. Especially considering how bad 2003-2005 was.

Dan O'Brien deserves a whole lot more credit than he has ever gotten from Cincy fans.

That differs greatly from his perception of the Reds system last offseason.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Most of the Reds hope after the "big four" is Wood getting back on track, Stubbs and Watson developing out and 1 out of Fisher/Lecure gang blowing up this year.

The first Buckley draft looks weak. The 2nd came in with more gusto so maybe we get some naughty behavior from it.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Dan O'Brien deserves a whole lot more credit than he has ever gotten from Cincy fans.
    Of the Reds top 10 prospects (per BA), only four are DanO acquisitions. Of those four, only two (Bruce and Bailey) came via the draft. So from two of the deepest drafts we've seen over the past decade, only two players still make the Reds top 10.

There may be some sleepers from those drafts who emerge. Travis Wood could get himself back on the prospect map with a good year. Perhaps some other international signees from that period will join Cueto, Francisco and Viola in making their mark in the minors.

So DanO did manage to rubber stamp two successful (at least in terms of generating high market value) upper first round picks during his two years with the club. That doesn't begin to undo the massive bumbling at the major league and minor league developmental levels.

I'd say Wayne Krivsky deserves a ton of credit for coming in and quickly getting the developmental system in a state where prospects are now advancing rather than flaming out.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Bailey and Bruce are two of the top ten prospects in baseball; Bruce currently is rated number one. Cueto, if I'm not mistaken, was signed during O'Brien's tenure. Wood is easily the most promising left-handed starter in the system. Those are really high impact guys, the guys who become core players on good teams or who you can start talking about when you go out to try to make trades for people like Bedard, Haren etc. I'm actually fairly positive about Krivsky as GM, but nobody Krivsky has drafted has yet distinguished himself like O'Brien's best draftees.

Where does O'Brien work now?
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Where does O'Brien work now?
    He's Special Assistant to G.M./Director of Baseball Operations for the Milwaukee Brewers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_O'Brien_(baseball)
    http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/tea...e.jsp?c_id=mil

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd say Wayne Krivsky deserves a ton of credit for coming in and quickly getting the developmental system in a state where prospects are now advancing rather than flaming out.
    Absolutely. We've talked about it before, but we used to root for the Reds to draft the most polished college players possible, on the presumption that nothing good was going to happen to them in the Reds' minor-league system so we'd better minimize the amount of time they had to spend there. Now there's a general sense of competence in player development. Combined with the better drafting in rounds 2+, the depth has increased enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Well even if its nothing more than hype and fury, it at least should create a buzz that could lead to help for the big league club via trade, assuming WK can use the hype to our benefit.
    Another absolutely. There's a halo around guys from top-rated systems. And it's easier to toss out some chips when you've got a pretty big stack.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Bailey and Bruce are two of the top ten prospects in baseball; Bruce currently is rated number one. Cueto, if I'm not mistaken, was signed during O'Brien's tenure. Wood is easily the most promising left-handed starter in the system. Those are really high impact guys, the guys who become core players on good teams or who you can start talking about when you go out to try to make trades for people like Bedard, Haren etc. I'm actually fairly positive about Krivsky as GM, but nobody Krivsky has drafted has yet distinguished himself like O'Brien's best draftees.
    Bruce and Bailey were high first round picks. They're supposed to big deals. Credit to DanO & Co. for delivering on that.

I like Wood, but his prospect status is currently in limbo.

Of course no one Krivsky's drafted has done as well as the lead dogs from 2004-5 yet, they haven't had the time to do it. In two or three years we'll see how Stubbs, Mesoraco, Frazier, Lotzkar, etc. look.

Meanwhile, Bailey and Bruce's draft mates have mostly fallen by the wayside. It should be noted that Bailey, Cueto and Votto were struggling while the DanO regime was still in place. Another year like 2005 and all three of them would have blinked off the radar.

So it's nice that DanO, over the course of two years, may have acquired one, two, maybe three kids who might someday help the Reds, but that's hardly a sufficient job or worthy of any major thanks.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'm not saying I want DanO back or in charge of development. But he did get the picks right as opposed to JimBO who had to punt on Kazmir for Gruler and got nothing for drafting Sowers. So I at least give him that much credit. Also he did well to pluck Cueto as an international signing.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    John Sickels runs a website, www.minorleagueball.com and he is doing a Top 20 run down for every team and a Top 35-40 for each team for his Prospect Handbook that he puts out every year. Today he is writing the Reds portion of the book and tomorrow will release the Top 20 guys, but he chmed in on the site with this to say about the Reds system:

Working on the Reds farm system today.

Good Lord.

This system is loaded. You have the top quartet of Bruce/Cueto/Votto/Bailey, but even beyond them there is a good combination of performance guys and projection guys. My initial run through came up with 49 names worth writing about. I have narrowed that down to 39, which is the most I can put into the book. Even that, some of the guys I cut I wish I could put in.

Take heart, Reds fans. You have a lot to look forward to.

Tomorrow the list comes up hopefully, but thought this would be something nice to post over here.
    that makes me feel excited on the inside...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

With this in mind...and this guy in indeed correct...is trading a chunk of it in order to get a front line starter, to WIN NOW for the big league club, going to set the organization back that much?

That is the question the Reds have to answer...

Turn Off Ads?