Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedard or Lincecum?

Bedard or Lincecum?

I know this thread is a little silly because we probably have no chance of landing either, but...

Which would you rather WK pull the trigger on considering they both will probably cost equivalent talent:
    Bedard is the obvious better choice for the "right now", we'd have an ace for the next 2 yrs., but Lincecum could easily be our #3 this year and possibly become an ace by 09 and would be under team control for the next few years (longer than Bailey, right? I don't know how that works, so ).

I know the best choice might be to get neither considering the high price, but supposing WK get one... which would you want?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bedard or Lincecum?

I don't want either. The prices being mentioned for Bedard are way too high and there are continuing reasons to be concerned about Lincecum's liability to injury--which presumably is why we passed on him in the draft in the first place. Right now there seems to be a sort of panic mentality that will invariably cause us--or whoever ends up with these guys--to overpay and overpay badly.

Either for the right price. Neither for a high price.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I don't want either. The prices being mentioned for Bedard are way too high and there are continuing reasons to be concerned about Lincecum's liability to injury--which presumably is why we passed on him in the draft in the first place. Right now there seems to be a sort of panic mentality that will invariably cause us--or whoever ends up with these guys--to overpay and overpay badly.

You nailed it.

There is a reason why so many quality starting pitchers are available this off-season. Teams seem willing to overpay for them. If you don't think you will be any good next year, why not trade your beset starter for a boatload of top prospects?

It's worth it if you are the Tigers or Red Sox, and that pitcher could help you win a ring next year, but for the Reds, it's is not worth it.

If i had to pick id go with Lincecum

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

It's worth it if you are the Tigers or Red Sox, and that pitcher could help you win a ring next year, but for the Reds, it's is not worth it.
    The AL is loaded with the likes of Bosox,NY,Cle,Det,LA. The NL certainly appears to be wide open again as Colorado showed this past season.

capnhook

I like Lincecum based on the the number of years before free-agency. He would move from a no. 3 to no 1 or 2 in a number of years. H/K vs. L/W. As for a serviceable number three pitcher, last resort, and still a decent innings eater, I would go after Ian Snell who would not break the bank.

I like Bedard because hes a starter. I like Linecum too but I along with many other project him as a closer in the future.

I'd see if the Giants might rather give up Cain. He doesn't seem to have the phenom label like Lincecum, but he's very good and should be durable. Not sure what I'd give up for him.

The Tim Lincecum for Alex Rios rumors have to be bunk, right? I would think Hamilton would be a better offer than Rios.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I don't think the Orioles are serious about trading Bedard; they are just waiting to see if a team will overpay. I would look to see if we could get Linceum.

If you think Hamilton is a better offer then Alex Rios you are out of your mind.

When you are the Reds - you have to overpay. It is that simple. I say do what you need to do to get Bedard. We will win the NL Central in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You nailed it.

There is a reason why so many quality starting pitchers are available this off-season. Teams seem willing to overpay for them. If you don't think you will be any good next year, why not trade your beset starter for a boatload of top prospects?

Yeah, I'm beginning to think we should stand pat and not trade our prospects. This is a bad market this year with every team getting in the mix and willing to overpay for starting pitching.

Let the other teams screw themselves, pick up some second tier players to fill the holes in pitching, and sit back and watch other teams whine next season when their new starting pitcher gets hurt or doesn't perform up to standards and they think of the 4 or 5 top prospects they gave up. Of course, it could put them over the top......but for how long?

I say we stay the course, unless a FAIR deal comes along. We have the #1 prospect in all of baseball (Bruce) and the #9 prospect (Bailey). We have 4 in the top 50 (Votto, Cueto).

I think the only mistake the Reds could make is to leave Cueto and Bailey in the minors next year. Ride out one more year of Griffey then bring up Bruce. Sign Dunn to a LTC.

We already bolstered the bullpen and the younger guys should get better with experience.

I think the Reds could have both if they wanted. Something like this...

Hamilton, Encarnacion > Lincecum
    Bruce, Cueto > Bedard

All that and you still hold onto Homer Bailey and Joey Votto. Our rotation by 2009 could look like this:

Harang
    Bedard
    Lincecum
    Bailey
    Arroyo

Not bad.

Id rather just trade Hamilton and Edwin for Lincecum and have a rotation of

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lincecum
    Bailey
    Cueto

because giving up bruce and cueto for bedard seems like over paying to me for a guy with injury concerns

Turn Off Ads?