Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Brought Them Here?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who Brought Them Here?

This shows which GM brought each prospect to the Reds. Let me know if you notice any mistakes made or players who should be added.

Code:
    Wayne Krivsky		Dan O'Brien		Jim Bowden		Brad Kullman & Leland Maddox
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Todd Frazier		Jay Bruce		Joey Votto		Ty Pelland
    Drew Stubbs		Homer Bailey		Ryan Hanigan
    Kyle Lotzkar		Johnny Cueto		Chris Dickerson
    Devin Mesoraco		Travis Wood		Carlos Guevara
    Matt Maloney		Adam Rosales		Richie Gardner
    Sean Watson		Pedro Viola		Tom Pauly
    Alex Smit		Carlos Fisher		Luis Montano
    Neftali Soto		Juan Francisco		Tonys Gutierrez
    Danny Dorn		Ruben Medina		Justin Mallett
    Josh Roenicke		Ramon Ramirez		Brock Till
    Daryl Thompson		Craig Tatum		Luis Bolivar
    Justin Turner		Paul Janish
    Chris Valaika		Jose Rojas
    Zach Cozart		Sam Lecure
    Brandon Waring		Drew Anderson
    Marcus McBeth		Michael Griffin
    Scott Carroll		Juan Rafael
    Evan Hildebrandt	Terrell Young
    Tzu-Kai Chiu		Rafael Gonzalez
    Jordan Smith		Ramon Geronimo
    Sean Henry		Misael DeJesus
    Justin Reed		Cody Strait
    Jamie Gianchou		Tom Shearn
    Chris Heisey		Angel Cabrera
    Yen-Wen Kuo		Denis Phipps
    Brandon Menchaca	Phil Valiquette
    Ben Jukich		Daniel Guerrero
    Logan Parker		Jake Long
    Robert Manuel		B.J. Szymanski
    Derrik Lutz		James Avery
    Jamie Arneson		Camilo Vazquez
    Travis Webb		Michael DeJesus
    Brandon Rice		Carlos Mendez
    Brett Bartles		Jose Bastardo
    Shaun Cumberland	Enerio Del Rosario
    Efrain Rodriguez	Chris Denove
    Josh Ravin		Anthony Esquer
    Harris Honeycutt	Eric Eymann
    Jerry Gil		Kevyn Feiner
    Lee Tabor		Jose Gualdron
    Jeremy Horst		Josh Holden
    Alvin Colina		Michael Jones
    Jose Castro		Chris Kroski
    Tony Brown		Logan Ondrusek
    Charles Snowden		James Morris
    Kyle Maunus		Gerardo Cabrera
    Jordan Wideman		Billy Rojo
    Keltavious Jones	Jeremiah Piepkorn
    Kevin Gunter		Justin Tordi
    Dan Zeffiro		
    Tyler Rhoden
    Jonathan Conatser
    Michael McKennon
    Carson Kainer
    Drew Bowman
    Mariekson Gregorius
    Petr Cech
    Mauro Schiavoni
    Anthony Gressick
    Tyler Hauschild
    Jason Louwsma
    Radhames Moreta
    Eddy Rodriguez
    Dan Donaldson
    Jason Bour
    Frank Meade
    Ryan Baker
    Eli Rimes
    Joseph Krebs
    Scott Gaffney
    Raymond Jeffords
    Matt Klinker
    Anthony Romero
    Curtis Partch
    Alexis Oliveras
    Todd Waller
    Josh Beal
    Brodie Pullen
    Wayne Kendrick
    Jake Kahaulelio
    Steven Otterness
    Jose Marizan
    Thomas Fiebig
    Victor Navarro
    Aguido Gonzalez
    Jeremy Vinyard
    Ricky Rhodes
    Jordan Hotchkiss
    Leonardo Astorga

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Who Brought Them Here?

So far, O'Brien netted more "highly touted" prospects, whereas Krivsky's netted us depth.

Advantage = Push.

Great post!

Not sure how fair it is to include Bowden, Kullman and Maddox. JimBo was 4 years ago now, the other two had a very minimal impact. JimBo is currently responsible for 4 of 8 position players though. Dunn, Jr., EE and Votto.

I do like looking at a comparison of DanO and Kriv as far as prospect talent goes.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Not sure how fair it is to include Bowden, Kullman and Maddox. JimBo was 4 years ago now, the other two had a very minimal impact. JimBo is currently responsible for 4 of 8 position players though. Dunn, Jr., EE and Votto.

I do like looking at a comparison of DanO and Kriv as far as prospect talent goes.
    It wasn't necessarily meant to be viewed as a competition between WayK, DanO, and JimBo--it's just an objective list of who acquired the Reds' current prospects.

Just going by this list, I'd say DanO's prospects had a MUCH higher ceiling than Kriv's so far. That could have been blind squirrel, draft class, or skill. Who knows.

Great list. I think that this shows the tremendous effort O'Brien tried to make to restock the talent after Bowden.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Great list. I think that this shows the tremendous effort O'Brien tried to make to restock the talent after Bowden.
    That's what I take from it, too. I'm a big believer in Wayne Krivsky, but I'll give Dan O'Brien credit for taking huge steps in building the Reds' farm system. Unfortunately for him, he had a five-year plan and a three-year contract. Krivsky, on the other hand, seems to be fast forwarding similar progress, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I'd say it shows just the opposite. Two years later and there's very little left of DanO's regime.

What's on that list? Two #1 picks? Great, they should be on the list. You've got two international signings. Cueto I love, but Francisco's got a .301 OB in low A, at best he's problematic.

Then you've got Wood and some sleepers.

DanO came away with very little beyond his top two picks in the gold star drafts of 2004 and 2005. That's the opposite of restocking.

If you want to see a tremendous effort, look at what Krivsky's done to augment his drafts. It's a little early to know if he's found much in the international waters (though Chiu and Cech are already in the system), but he's branched out beyond Latin America. He's also acquired for Maloney, McBeth, Smit, Thompson, Castro, Henry and Jukich from other organizations.

Bruce, Bailey and Cueto are nice, but they're really the bare minimum a front office should have produced through two talent-laden drafts and a major international signing push. The case for DanO strikes me as rather facile.
    Last edited by M2; 12-05-2007 at 12:42 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I get that. It seems like 4+ years later, and he is still influencing the Reds ML club.

DanO has gotten a lot more out of the higher-round draft picks, but to be fair, Wayne Krivsky's draft picks haven't had as much time to produce, and it took three years for Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey to really blossom into the top prospects they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    DanO has gotten a lot more out of the higher-round draft picks, but to be fair, Wayne Krivsky's draft picks haven't had as much time to produce, and it took three years for Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey to really blossom into the top prospects they are today.
    Bruce and Bailey were HS picks. Stubbs was a college pick, he should be performing at a higher level by this time, especially coming out of the Big 12 conference.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Bruce and Bailey were HS picks. Stubbs was a college pick, he should be performing at a higher level by this time, especially coming out of the Big 12 conference.
    You just had to open that can of worms, didn't you? There is no doubt that Jay Bruce + Homer Bailey > Devin Mesoraco and Jay Bruce, but overall, I still prefer the Wayne Krivsky drafts.

O'Brien had the advantage of a #7 pick (Bailey) and having the #12 pick (Bruce) in one of the most talent heavy first rounds in decades. Also, GM's probably aren't involved as we might think in the amateur drafts. I know for sure Krivsky had a distant approach to the 2006 draft as he said so himself. He (they) should be held accountable though for the scouts that help make the draft day decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    O'Brien had the advantage of a #7 pick (Bailey) and having the #12 pick (Bruce) in one of the most talent heavy first rounds in decades. Also, GM's probably aren't involved as we might think in the amateur drafts. I know for sure Krivsky had a distant approach to the 2006 draft as he said so himself. He (they) should be held accountable though for the scouts that help make the draft day decisions.
    Excellent post. GM's ask a few questions and give the overall strategy their blessing, but that's about it when it comes to the draft. The rest is delegated.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?