Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football Recruiting

Re: Ohio State Football Recruiting

Josh Jenkins has withdrawn his verbal from WVU and now lists Ohio State as his #1.

http://www.wsaz.com/sports/headlines/12850577.html

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (AP) - Repeat Hunt Award winner Josh Jenkins has withdrawn his verbal commitment to West Virginia University.

But the player considered the state's best prep lineman says he could still decide to play football for the Mountaineers.

"It just depends on who they bring in as the new head coach and how he approaches me," the Parkersburg High senior said.

Right now, though, the 6-foot-5, 305-pound Jenkins says Ohio State is his No. 1 choice, though he hasn't ruled out either WVU or Florida. He's also talking with Pittsburgh and Penn State.

Rich Rodriguez resigned as WVU's coach earlier this month to take a job at the University of Michigan.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

I saw Josh Jenkins play earlier this year and I was baffled as to why he is ranked as one of the best O-lineman in the nation. Maybe it was just a bad game, but he didn't impress me at all that night.

I don't watch as many tOSU games at you folks do but Smith really wasn't allowed to freelance much on offense till his junior year. When he was a senior he really was turned loose and had a great season. That's no knock on Tressel as he was probably trying to run a conservative offense and Smith was prone to mistakes as an underclassman. But if any kid comes in to tOSU and believes he's going to be allowed to play like Smith did when he was a senior, I think he's going to be very mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Smith needed to develop. He made a lot of bonehead mistakes when he first became one of the starting QBs. Tressel is all about avoiding mistakes. Once Smith showed he was capable of running a more dynamic offense without making mistakes, the playbook was opened up. I'd suspect he's handle Pryor the same way. It's actually better for the development of the QB to be weened slowly and to be allowed to develop.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I saw Josh Jenkins play earlier this year and I was baffled as to why he is ranked as one of the best O-lineman in the nation. Maybe it was just a bad game, but he didn't impress me at all that night.
    What are your reasons for this conclusion?

Gotta figure a HS kid is going to benefit from college coaching and grow. But you wonder if a lot of his acclaim is based on his size, at his age.

Regardless I think you're happy to get a lineman of his pedigree anytime you can get one. Good o-lineman are invaluable IMO.

I shall shed no tears if OSU ends up with him, and think it would be a good choice for him, considering the circumstances at WVU.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What are your reasons for this conclusion?
    He didn't stand out against an average AAA West Virginia HS team. I would expect a 4/5 star OL to dominate that type of competition and yet he failed to do so that night. Again, it was just one game. It could have been an off night.

He didn't stand out against an average AAA West Virginia HS team. I would expect a 4/5 star OL to dominate that type of competition and yet he failed to do so that night. Again, it was just one game. It could have been an off night.
    Offensive Lineman are so hard to judge, they can go a whole night and you never notice them. Was he getting beat or just not "dominating"?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Didn't dominate. He just didn't stand out like you would expect a 4/5 star talent to do against weaker competition. Again it was just one game though.

Didn't dominate. He just didn't stand out like you would expect a 4/5 star talent to do against weaker competition. Again it was just one game though.
    Perhaps the talent is there but it needs cultivating. BTW the '09 recruits are piling up now. Mooney, Mewhort and Homan in the past week have committed.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

OL recruits are impossible to predict. It's the hardest position to evaluate by professionals(college coaches) and recruitniks. It's damn near impossible to predict which one's will hit and which one's won't.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Great post Caseyfan21. Especially the observations about Pryor and his seemly "look-at-me" approach.

I've got a buddy from Pryor's hometown who tells me that Pyor is totally a "me first" guy. Sick talent but focused on the wrong things (can you say Clarett?).
    I concur! I watched a video interview of his awhile back and he comes off smug. It won't bother me at all to see him go elsewhere. However I do have Faith that if he doesn't put in the work and play the game Tressel wants him to that he won't be seeing the field. That's why I think he has yet to commit and probably won't, he kinda get's the vibe that he won't be able to overpower JT.

Rich R however I think will quickly jump on it and if so Mallet will likely transfer and the Job is all Pryor's to lose. If he comes to OSU he comes as a part of a very good class, if he goes to Michigan he is the man. Pryor want's to be the man so IMO he will be in Ann Arbor come 2-7-08. The Gators have a good shot as well, but I still think it's that school up north.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If I were Rich Rodriguez I would attempt to keep Mallett around and run the Texas Tech version of the spread with Mallett at QB.

If I were Rich Rodriguez I would attempt to keep Mallett around and run the Texas Tech version of the spread with Mallett at QB.
    I could see that but what I think is that he will have to take one or the other. He will have to promise Pryor that they will run the WV version to get him to sign a LOI, and probably if and when Mallet finds out he will likely leave. I would imagine that Mallet has/is already being told that the offense will be tailored around him. So in fact both are being deceived, Mallet so he can be the back-up plan if Pryor chooses not to come. And Pryor so he will sign, and one of them will be P.O.ed.

FWIW it couldn't happen to a better bunch of guys!

--Woody Hayes

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Word around San Antonio is that Terrelle is hanging out with the Brew Crew constantly and has been overheard saying he knows already where he's going.

This is from an "Insider" at Bucknuts.com's forums. Although I don't know how much stock to put into this poster, he's seemed to have garnered a lot of respect over there (including Buck football recruiting guru Bill Kuerlic).
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?