Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football Recruiting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ohio State Football Recruiting

For all those who follow Buckeye recruiting, what are the chances that Terrelle Pryor lands in Columbus? Craig Haubert from ESPN said in chat today that he'd be surprised if Pryor winds up anywhere but Ohio State and that if he does, it would oput OSU potentially in the top 2 in overall class. But with Florida in the mix, you never know.

Considering OSU rarely gets consideration from elite QBs, this could be HUGE for the program to land the top QB in the country. I think Troy Smith's success probably had a big role in Pryor considering Ohio State.

It's nice to see they've done so well at retooling their offensive line. Plucking Brewster out of Orlando is a nice win for Tressel, as was getting Shugarts out of Texas. And keeping Mike Adams in Columbus was also very nice.

Pryor would round out the class quite nicely. Otherwise, it's still a very typical Tressel class - only a couple of 5 starts, but really loading up on the 4 star.

I've gotta think, though, if Pryor committs to Ohio State, Antonio Henton will likely transfer. I really have no idea if the coaches area s high onhim now as they were when he was recruited, but I've gotta think his arrest hasn't helped matters.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Re: Ohio State Football Recruiting

Everything I'm hearing is just like you said...Pryor will be a Buckeye. He's buddies already with a couple of the new OL recruites. They text each other all the time. Like you said...you never know...but it's as close to a done deal as you can get from what I've heard and read.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I guess Henton will have to find new places to troll for booty with only $19 in his pocket.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I guess Henton will have to find new places to troll for booty with only $19 in his pocket.
    You mean a new place to be profiled and entrapped by an undercover cop?

Henton was arrested after a woman -- actually an undercover Columbus police officer -- along N. High Street waved to him. When he approached her, the officer asked him if he wanted sex.

Henton replied, "What?" Phillips said Henton was asking "what?" because he was confused. Police said he was questioning what type of sex acts he could buy.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/loc...9.html?sid=101

A tape released by police showed Henton's arrest in the area of High Street and Sixth Avenue.

"You looking to party?" the undercover officer asked.

"Where are you partying?" Henton allegedly asked.

However, Henton's attorneys dispute what is on the tape and said their client was not in the area for sex.

"No sex act was mentioned by him," said attorney James Phillips. "No money was mentioned by him. The officer just came up to him and said, 'Do you want to blank,' and he said, 'What?"

Phillips said Henton only stopped his car because the woman waved at him.

"If a woman waves at you to stop you see if she's OK," he said. "He's been sitting on the sidelines now for six weeks - a penalty far in-excess of the penalties for most players for most things."

Head footbal coach Jim Tressel offered a statement through the university on Monday.

"After serving a seven-game suspension, Antonio is a member with full privileges of the Ohio State football team," Tressel said. "Antonio has handled the situation properly."

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=news&story=...638089933.html

By the way, Pryor is a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    You mean a new place to be profiled and entrapped by an undercover cop?

Henton was arrested after a woman -- actually an undercover Columbus police officer -- along N. High Street waved to him. When he approached her, the officer asked him if he wanted sex.

Henton replied, "What?" Phillips said Henton was asking "what?" because he was confused. Police said he was questioning what type of sex acts he could buy.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/loc...9.html?sid=101

A tape released by police showed Henton's arrest in the area of High Street and Sixth Avenue.

"You looking to party?" the undercover officer asked.

"Where are you partying?" Henton allegedly asked.

However, Henton's attorneys dispute what is on the tape and said their client was not in the area for sex.

"No sex act was mentioned by him," said attorney James Phillips. "No money was mentioned by him. The officer just came up to him and said, 'Do you want to blank,' and he said, 'What?"

Phillips said Henton only stopped his car because the woman waved at him.

"If a woman waves at you to stop you see if she's OK," he said. "He's been sitting on the sidelines now for six weeks - a penalty far in-excess of the penalties for most players for most things."

Head footbal coach Jim Tressel offered a statement through the university on Monday.

"After serving a seven-game suspension, Antonio is a member with full privileges of the Ohio State football team," Tressel said. "Antonio has handled the situation properly."

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=news&story=...638089933.html

By the way, Pryor is a lock.
    'Twas a joke.

Henton was in the wrong place at the wrong time, getting profiled by Columbus' finest.

It could have happened to anyone, but it just happened to be Henton at that moment.

I feel for the kid. He just made an honest mistake.

As for recruiting classes, should prove to be interesting if Notre Dame loses some of their recruits due to Chuckles the Clown's inability to win ballgames.

As for recruiting classes, should prove to be interesting if Notre Dame loses some of their recruits due to Chuckles the Clown's inability to win ballgames.
    Not only haven't they lost anyone but now three recruits that comminted elsewhere (Texas A&M and UCLA) have announced visits in january.

That is along with Trevor Robinson, OL who is attending the ND Football banquet this weekend along with 12 of ND's commits (which means there is a real strong chance he commits next week).

And Deion Walker, WR, who is going to announce before the Army Navy All-American game and I think he will commit. ND could not only not lose anyone, but add another 4 or 5 4-stars to the haul.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Not only haven't they lost anyone but now three recruits that comminted elsewhere (Texas A&M and UCLA) have announced visits in january.

That is along with Trevor Robinson, OL who is attending the ND Football banquet this weekend along with 12 of ND's commits (which means there is a real strong chance he commits next week).

And Deion Walker, WR, who is going to announce before the Army Navy All-American game and I think he will commit. ND could not only not lose anyone, but add another 4 or 5 4-stars to the haul.
    I spoke to my former boss a couple of weeks ago who's an alum and is now a big donor and he isn't worried one bit about Weis. He said that even Weis made jokes in his first year that he knew he was going to be in trouble in his third year.

Also, he says that from what he's heard, Weis has gone into recruiting visits and has been EXTREMELY honest about what's going on in the program. He's sharing information that normally isn't shared during the process and the recruits are totally buying into what he's saying. He thinks next year's team is going to be pretty good (about 8 wins), but the 2009 team could be a contender. This could be the best recruiting class ND has had in a decade, or even more.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

'Twas a joke.

Henton was in the wrong place at the wrong time, getting profiled by Columbus' finest.

It could have happened to anyone, but it just happened to be Henton at that moment.

I feel for the kid. He just made an honest mistake.

Gotcha.

I agree he may be looking for a new home if Pryor comes to town.

Gotcha.

I agree he may be looking for a new home if Pryor comes to town.
    Part of me struggles to believe the hype of blue chip prospects in any sport.

Justin Zwick was highly touted, and we know how that ended up.

Ohio State is easily in the Top 5 of biggest programs in the country, and I'm not sure Pryor (or any kid, for that matter) could immediately step in and handle the pressure.

Even Florida didn't give the keys of the program to Tebow as a freshman. They put him in situations to succeed, and accordingly, he'll most likely win the Heisman this year, as a Sophomore.

It would be different to see a highly touted QB go to tOSU and succeed.

To their credit, they've done one heck of a job getting the most out of that position since Craig Krenzel.

You're wasting your time, BRL. None of that matters. But I hope this thread doesn't get hijacked.
    Last edited by MWM; 12-05-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Ok, back on topic.....

For 2009, the Buckeyes have already landed two stud recruits.

Jordan Whiting (KY) and Storm Klein (OH).

Other top Ohio recruits:

-Studlien (LB Big Walnut) will commit when offered.
    -John Simon (DL Youngstown Mooney)...top 100 player will commit soon (offered).
    -Chris Fields (WR Paynesville)...will commit when offered.
    -Marcus Hall (OT Cleveland Glenville)...Glenville kid, so will commit (top 100 recruit).
    -Darrell Mason (RB/DB Youngstown Ursuline)...big time player.

Another recruit that Ohio State is going after is Josh Jenkins out of Parkersburg High School, the number one guard prospect in the nation according to Scout.com. Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel were at the Super Six last weekend in Wheeling watching Jenkins play. He has a soft committment to WVU, but I think it will be between OSU and WVU.

Pryor reminds me a lot of Vince Young. Add him plus Jenkins, Wrighster, Adams, and Shugarts, and Ohio State has not only the best QB in the nation, but the best O-Line for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Add him plus Jenkins, Wrighster, Adams, and Shugarts, and Ohio State has not only the best QB in the nation, but the best O-Line for years to come.
    Brewster is the other one. So far, Brewster, Shugarts, and Adams in the fold.

Brewster is the other one. So far, Brewster, Shugarts, and Adams in the fold.
    My bad, I meant Brewster.

I'm hoping Jenkins goes with Ohio State. While I think he will flourish in West Virginia's offense, I think if he wanted a shot at the NFL, he would at least get to learn pass protection at Ohio State. Come combine time, I think his stock will hurt if he goes to West Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Ok, back on topic.....

For 2009, the Buckeyes have already landed two stud recruits.

Jordan Whiting (KY) and Storm Klein (OH).

Other top Ohio recruits:

-Studlien (LB Big Walnut) will commit when offered.
    -John Simon (DL Youngstown Mooney)...top 100 player will commit soon (offered).
    -Chris Fields (WR Paynesville)...will commit when offered.
    -Marcus Hall (OT Cleveland Glenville)...Glenville kid, so will commit (top 100 recruit).
    -Darrell Mason (RB/DB Youngstown Ursuline)...big time player.
    I had a chance to see a few of these guys in the state title games last weekend. I'm not an OSU fan, but:
    Storm Klein - Real deal, kid is a stud. hell of a RB, but I hear a LB at the next level. had a kidney injury in the state game.
    Studlien - looks the part, minus the god awful jerseys his team wears. good size and closing speed. AJ Hawk-esque
    Simon - Passed the looks test for sure. double teamed all night long. but has a good motor
    Mason - didnt look great as a RB, was keyed on all day. had like 10 yards rushing. probably a S at the next level

Turn Off Ads?