Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football Recruiting

Re: Ohio State Football Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    If I am Antonio Henton, I'm thinking I'm starting about October. At Ohio State.
    First off sorry for third straight post on this thread. I'd be more than shocked if Jim Tressel started anyone but Todd Boeckman next season. Coach Tressel has never had a problem in playing his elite freshman either. I think that Pryor will have a package of limited plays like Tim Tebow did the day he walks on campus for practice. Players with the natural athleticism that Pryor does will always find early playing time under Coach Tressel. He plays the best no matter how young someone is.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    They are not. Michael Brewster, his brother and other OSU recruits traveled to watch Pryor play basketball last night. All of them including Pryor spent the night at another Ohio State commits house, Andrew Sweat. I'm not a stalker, just reported on Buckeyes website

He's a Buckeye and has been recruiting other players for months. He just wants some spotlight and I don't blame him one bit.
    Good to hear. As usual, I'm not going to get excited about TP's commitment just yet but hearing stuff like this always makes me happy. I think getting TP would be a huge first victory for JT against Rodriguez at UM.

As for the QB next year....I think you have to go with Boeckman. How many NC teams have been led by an unproven starting QB. Obviously there have been a few but more often than not a NC team is led by an upperclassman QB. Boeckman isn't flashy but other than a couple games he had a good first year and took care of the ball. I say the starting job is his to lose going into the season.

I do hope Henton and Pryor get a chance to get worked into the offense. Hopefully get them each a couple packages of plays and possibly use them in the slot to take advantage of their athelticism. This offense has the potential to be a lot of fun to watch as long as the offensive coordinator and Tress utilize all the the weapns.

They are not. Michael Brewster, his brother and other OSU recruits traveled to watch Pryor play basketball last night. All of them including Pryor spent the night at another Ohio State commits house, Andrew Sweat. I'm not a stalker, just reported on Buckeyes website

He's a Buckeye and has been recruiting other players for months. He just wants some spotlight and I don't blame him one bit.
    For the record,

1.It's internet message board fodder. Depends on how well you trust the information reported I guess. Being a UK fan and spending a lot of time on UK message boards, the rumors of Billy Gillispie drinking and womanizing are all over the place. But depends on whether you want to believe it.

2.Friendship can be deceiving. Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson became best friends during their recruitment and everybody thought they would go to the same school together. Lucas went to Florida and Patterson went to Kentucky.

Of course, there is Mike Conley and Greg Oden, but I think that one goes with the fact that they played in high school together.

If Pryor is "just looking for spotlight", he really is playing with fire. He is milking the entire recruiting process for what it is worth and he is billing himself up to having to live up to incredible hype. He is reminding me a lot of OJ Mayo in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

He cancelled his visit for tomorrow. According to Charlie Batch he isn't taking anymore official visits because of banquets and basketball. Pryor is best friends with Mike Brewster already and called both Etienne Sabino and Lamaar Thomas days before they committed to Ohio State. He's either going to Ohio State or he has a weird way of helping his future rival if he went to Michigan or Penn State. Now that Oregon is off the table I think it pretty much ends any speculation as to where Pryor goes. I'm biased but I'm also a realist. I seriously doubt that Josh Jenkins goes to Ohio State and most Ohio State fans feel otherwise. I also thought Ohio State was over hyped before the title games the last two years and sadly was right.
    I do have a story on Jenkins.

Somebody I know here knows Josh and said that he asked him where he was looking at and Josh told him WVU. Later on that night, he ran into him at the mall and he was wearing an Ohio State hoodie.

Just reporting what I have heard. I'm hoping he does go to Ohio State, because his biggest weakness is pass protection. If he ever wants to improve on that and have a better chance at a career in the NFL, he would get a better chance to improve at that area at Ohio State since all WVU does is run.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I don't think West Virginia is a player for Josh Jenkins. It's going to be a battle between Ohio State and Florida State.

I think in the end though, Ohio State wins out, but it could be worth watching.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I don't think West Virginia is a player for Josh Jenkins. It's going to be a battle between Ohio State and Florida State.

I think in the end though, Ohio State wins out, but it could be worth watching.
    He is from West Virginia and really likes Bill Stewart.

I don't even see Florida St. being a major player.

I thought this was interesting...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...onomics/1.html

Economics of recruiting
    A new way to predict where top prospects will end up
    Posted: Wednesday January 23, 2008 11:35AM; Updated: Wednesday January 23, 2008 2:41PM

Jeannette, Pa., quarterback Terrelle Pryor will sign with Ohio State, Foley, Ala., receiver Julio Jones will choose Alabama and Ventura, Calif., running back Darrell Scott will pick Texas. This isn't my opinion, nor do I have any inside information.

It's economics.

Using equations that contain more Greek letters than your favorite school's fraternity row, three economists have devised a way to predict the college choices of top football prospects. In two recruiting seasons (2005 and 2007), the College Football Recruiting Prediction model developed by Mike DuMond, Allen Lynch and Jennifer Platania has correctly predicted the college choice of the members of the Rivals 100 with 72.5 percent accuracy. The economists, who were published last week in the Journal Of Sports Economics, plan to predict the destinations of the nation's top 250 recruits on their Web site later this month, but DuMond ran the numbers of the three previously mentioned recruits to offer a taste of what to expect. According to the model, there is a 40.2 percent chance Pryor will choose Ohio State, compared to a 37.9 percent chance he will choose Michigan.

In addition to predicting the future, the model provided empirical evidence that BCS schools enjoy a prohibitive advantage over their non-BCS brethren in recruiting top talent. It also disproved several long-held beliefs about recruiting. For example, recruits don't seem to care how many players a school puts in the NFL, they aren't as interested in early playing time as they claim and scholarship reductions actually increase the likelihood that a top recruit will pick a particular school.

So what possessed three highly educated professionals to devote countless hours of their spare time to predicting the whims of 17- and 18-year-old football players? The easy answer is they live in the South. The trio met in the early '90s as doctoral candidates at Florida State. DuMond and Lynch, both Floridians, love the Seminoles. Platania, meanwhile, roots for her home-state West Virginia Mountaineers. And even though they had scattered -- DuMond works for a Tallahassee, Fla., consulting firm, Lynch teaches economics at Mercer in Macon, Ga., and Platania teaches at Elon in North Carolina -- they still yearned in 2004 to understand why certain prospects chose certain schools.

"You read interviews with some of these recruits ... and they say 'I felt more comfortable there' or something really vague like that," DuMond said. "We were just trying to figure out if we could put any science behind that sort of decision.

So DuMond, Lynch and Platania scoured the archived data on Rivals.com for the recruiting classes of 2002-04. During an 18-month span, they devised a set of more than two dozen variables (official visits, distance from the player's home, school recruiting budgets, age of each school's stadium, etc.) and built a model. They devised equations that told them what mattered most when a recruit made his decision. After plenty of heavy thinking and trial and error, they developed a statistical formula they believed would accurately predict a recruit's college choice.

Using a computer program called SAS (Statistical Analysis Software), the trio fed the pertinent data for the 2005 Rivals 100 into the model. They ignored whether players had already committed, instead using each player's final set of schools to see if the model would spit out a correct prediction. The model went 71 for 100, and it correctly guessed the destinations of the six highest-ranked players (Derrick Williams, Jerrell Powe, Eugene Monroe, Fred Rouse, Callahan Bright and Mark Sanchez).

Early in 2006, the trio presented its findings at an economics conference in New York. There, the economists reported that even after controlling for success -- throw out the megapowers -- a recruit is still almost six percent more likely to pick a BCS school over an otherwise equal non-BCS school.

"If you are a BCS school ... you still get a little bit of an additional bump when it comes to trying to land the big players," Lynch said. "It's kind of the rich get richer is what we showed in the development of this model."

But as recruitniks, the trio considered some of the paper's other findings more fascinating. Not surprisingly, they discovered that distance from a player's hometown and whether the recruit made an official visit were the two most important factors, but distance is less of a factor depending on where the recruit lives. With help from geographer buddy Juan del Valle, who used geographic information system (GIS) software to determine straight-line distances between hometowns and campuses, the economists learned that recruits in the South and the Midwest are likely to stay close to home, while recruits in the West and the Northeast seemed more willing to leave the nest.

More surprising were the factors that didn't seem to affect a prospect's decision. "There were a couple of results that had us raising our eyebrows," Lynch said.

DuMond and Lynch each pointed to the roster depth variable. Recruits often mention early playing time as a contributing factor in their decision, but the model found that prospects are one percent more likely to choose a school that a year earlier signed one or more highly touted players at that recruit's position. That could explain how USC keeps signing running backs. Meanwhile, scholarship reductions didn't seem to bother recruits. The economists surmised that the players figured they'd have less competition for exposure and playing time. Also surprising, graduation rate and the number of players sent to the NFL in recent years had no measurable effect on recruit's choices.

So what do recruits want? According to the model, they usually will pick the BCS-conference school nearest their hometown that has the biggest on-campus stadium and won the most games last season. Not the past five seasons, mind you. "You can make the argument that recruits may be a little short-sighted," DuMond said.

DuMond and his partners, however, intend to take the long view. Lynch said there are plenty of college football fans in the economist community, and many have suggested ways to tweak the model to make it more accurate. The trio will keep working, Lynch said, but the complexities of the teenage psyche will keep them from reaching 100 percent accuracy.

"At the end of the day, they're just kids trying to figure out where they want to go play ball," Lynch said. "We'll be able to accurately forecast a bunch of them, but I don't think a day is going to come where we're going to accurately pick every one of these kids."
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Signing day tomorrow. Sounds like Pryor still might not commit tomorrow.

However the Buckeyes landed DE Keith Wells from Georgia yesterday and it sounds like they might land CB Brendan Harris from Florida.

If they pick up Harris and Pryor this is a seriously scary class.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Pryor says he's 80-90% sure he's committing tommorrow.
    Witty signature.

What's the deal with Torrence?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's the deal with Torrence?
    Schollie was pulled for reasons only known to the OSU staff and Torrence.
    Witty signature.

If I had to guess I'd say Jenkins go to WVU cause his bro is a coach there now.

I really am not sure on Pryor. Everyone seems to have an inside source saying one thing or another. I'd say 60/40 in favor of OSU but if he's smart he'll go to UM where he can get immediate playing time in an offense built around him. If he wants the best shot to be an impact NFL player I think OSU's offense will force him to become a better passer and help him that way though.

Harris is another one you haven't heard much about. If pressed I'd say he leans toward Miami 60/40 but that's just pure speculation.

The other one with an offer still out there is Orhian Johnson, out of Florida. I'd guess 70/30 in favor of OSU on him.

Hopefully OSU can get commits from all 4 tomorrow though, definitely a great year to be a Buckeye during recruiting season as right now, even if we don't get them, we still have a solid top 10 class (possibly even top 5).

Pryor- OSU
    Johnson- OSU
    Harris- OSU
    Jenkins- WVA

Mark it down!
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Pryor- OSU
    Johnson- OSU
    Harris- OSU
    Jenkins- WVA

Mark it down!
    I would agree

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Pryor- OSU
    Johnson- OSU
    Harris- OSU
    Jenkins- WVA

Mark it down!
    I certainly hope you are correct on the Harris prediction. He would be an absolute STEAL. That would be a huge get to go into Miami and take a stud DB right away from the Hurricanes.

Turn Off Ads?