Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Lieber

Jon Lieber

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...inter_meetings

Bedard, Wells, Lieber... sure looke like Wayne is leaving no stones unturned in Nashville.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jon Lieber

Except that Lieber is a much better bet than the other guys. I could see Lieber as part of the rotation.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Sure.

Back end of rotation.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Assuming he's healthy, I'd take him as a 4 or 5 for sure. Misses enough bats. Great control. Ground ball tendencies.

Was very hit unlucky last year (insane 27.5 LD&#37.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lieber would be a very good backend option, actually he'd push Belisle and Bailey back a notch. Still need a solid guy for the #2. I could live with Harang, trade, Arroyo, Lieber, Belisle/Bailey, and Maloney as insurance later on as long as "trade" = Capuano, Snell, Cain etc. I'm past believing the Reds acquire either Haren or Bedard.

If it were a choice between Lieber and David Wells, I'd much rather have Lieber.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Pass.

He's gonna earn a decent amount of money for Belisle like numbers.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Pass.

While it's arguable that we need to sign a FA to accomplish it, the addition of another Belisle to the rotation would result in a net of 30 fewer runs allowed relative to last year. That's a non-trivial bump.

For 2 & 15, I'd do it. For 2 & 25, I'll pass.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If we look at Leiber's numbers in this ballpark they are outstanding. In 14IP Leiber has given up 3 hits while striking out 11, he has yet to give up a run. It is a small sample but he does keep the ball down, I would go after him before Silva or Wells. Silva has pitched 3IP at GAB giving up 8hits and 5 runs for an ERA of 13.50. Wells has pitched 5IP and given up 5 hits and 3 runs for an ERA of 5.40.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I'd give him a 1 year deal, otherwise no thanks. And my guess is that not going 2 years would be a major sticking point.

I have to say, I like Lieber the best of all the lower-tier names that have been kicked around today. He seems like a guy who keeps the ball in the park and gives you lots of QS at the back end of the rotation. I wouldn't complain much about a two-year deal, especially if it were for less than $3 million per. Have to think his "veteran savvy" might help some of our younger pitchers as well.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

He'll get more than 3M per year easily. I was thinking along the lines of a 1 year 7-8M deal. It will be pricey on a short term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Pass.

True, but we need another starter and if it's only a 1 yr contract, which I would consider a "stop gap" giving us more time on guys like Cueto and others, then it could be worth the investment. Not a great risk. Sure beats going out and signing a multi year contract on some of these other guys.

Also - lets say he comes out and performs decently during the first half. Couldn't he also be used as trading deadline bait in a market starving for pitchers?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    True, but we need another starter and if it's only a 1 yr contract, which I would consider a "stop gap" giving us more time on guys like Cueto and others, then it could be worth the investment. Not a great risk. Sure beats going out and signing a multi year contract on some of these other guys.

Also - lets say he comes out and performs decently during the first half. Couldn't he also be used as trading deadline bait in a market starving for pitchers?
    I just think they need another non stopgap guy. Along with a few other parts. Getting Lieber then hoping things fall into place is a waste of money. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

If WK is smart, he'd be shopping one of the outfielders for a starter and then replace him with Bruce. There aren't any pitchers out there in FA who are gonna help enough.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Have to think his "veteran savvy" might help some of our younger pitchers as well.
    That's what I was thinking, too. It's apparent from his stints as an announcer that he's a personable and smart guy. If he pitches well enough to hold up the back of the rotation and provides some wise council to young guys at the front, he could be worth every penny of whatever he costs. In that respect, he could be the equivalent of Greg Maddux, minus the GG and self-loathing.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?