Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Larkin, Geronimo, Jay and Herrmann make Reds HOF

Re: Larkin, Geronimo, Jay and Herrmann make Reds HOF

I read an article awhile back that blasted the Reds HOF for attempting to water itself down, though the basis of the article were some of the players listed on the fan ballot. I forget specifically which players were on there, but I do remember looking at some of those names and just laughing. From what I remember, the ballot consisted of a slam dunk (Larkin) and a bunch of guys who probably shouldn't be in the team's Hall, but some of whom likely will be.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's part of the problem that all "Hall of Fames" have.

They feel they have to induct 1-4 people every year, just to have a buzz about the place and get people talking.

There's people in the baseball HOF that I don't consider great. Especially some of the guys that basically got rewarded for having a 20+ year career and staying healthy.

Heck, didn't the Beastie Boys get nominated for the Rock and Roll hall of Fame?
    They all get watered down, because no Hall of Fame wants to go for a year without adding some people.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Heck, didn't the Beastie Boys get nominated for the Rock and Roll hall of Fame?
    Pauls Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication.... they aren't exactly the Archies.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's part of the problem that all "Hall of Fames" have.

They feel they have to induct 1-4 people every year, just to have a buzz about the place and get people talking.

The Veterans committee doesn't.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Veterans committee doesn't.
    No. They're just there to elect their non-deserving friends who couldn't get enough votes while ignoring the actually deserving candidates remaining on the ballot unjustly.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pauls Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication.... they aren't exactly the Archies.
    I had one of their albums when they had their 15 minutes of fame.. But they aren't Hall of Famers to me.

But I bet that eventually anyone who had one big album will make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame..

If you let in the Beastie Boys, don't you have to let in Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and all those other 80's bands that had one or two big albums? Heck, you could justify the guys that sang "I always feel like somebody's watching me". And that dude that sang "We don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time".
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I had one of their albums when they had their 15 minutes of fame.. But they aren't Hall of Famers to me.

But I bet that eventually anyone who had one big album will make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame..

If you let in the Beastie Boys, don't you have to let in Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and all those other 80's bands that had one or two big albums? Heck, you could justify the guys that sang "I always feel like somebody's watching me". And that dude that sang "We don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time".
    The Beastie Boys are not actually gone, nor are they even in the same league as those novelty bands, seriously I'm not a huge fan of theirs but I've seen them live several times and I've been going to music for 32 years now and they were phenomenal. Add in that they help create and control a genre that barely existed and they are as equally ground breaking in the business as the Talking Heads were.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://www.journal-news.com/s/conten...21207nard.html[/QUOTE]

Geronimo earned spot in Reds' Hall of Fame

Geronimo was a throw-in in a blockbuster eight-player trade with the Houston Astros in 1971. Manager Sparky Anderson and club President Bob Howsam were bent on adding some speed to the team a year after moving to an AstroTurf playing surface.

The Reds got Joe Morgan, Jack Billingham, Denis Menke, Geronimo and Ed Armbrister from the Astros for Lee May, Tommy Helms and Jimmy Stewart.

Morgan (second base), Billingham (starting pitcher) and Menke (third base) were the key players in the trade. Outfielders Geronimo and Ed Armbrister were merely tossed in, although Anderson was taken by Geronimo's defensive ability when he had seen him play.

The Reds also were looking for a center fielder who could hit. Geronimo was more of a fielder, but in a conversation with Anderson at the beginning of the 1972 season, the skipper pointed out that he would make a .300 hitter out of the outfielder.

Anderson proved correct. Geronimo had the best season of his career in 1976, batting .307 and stealing 22 bases for the World Champion Reds.

Geronimo batted .261 in nine seasons with the Reds. He won four consecutive National League Gold Gloves from 1974-77.

The numbers might not seem Hall of Fame worthy, but Geronimo belongs in the team's Hall with the rest of the players from one of the finest baseball teams ever.

Now if they would only let Rose in to complete the squad.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?