Turn Off Ads?

Thread: CBS & New England - Impartiality Issues?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

CBS & New England - Impartiality Issues?

I've always thought, while watching NFL games, that some teams seemed to get consistently favorable coverage from commentators and broadcasters. Usually it's just subtle and stuff I (admittedly) only notice about teams I dislike, like New England.

Call me a hater, but I sense that there's something just a little too cozy about this "arrangement" (which was mentioned in tonight's NE/PITT telecast):

http://wbztv.com/sports/Patriot.Plac....2.607023.html

A new sports and entertainment venue is coming to the area, thanks to a partnership between the CBS network and the Kraft Group, owners of the New England Patriots. They are promising 'CBS Scene' will be the greatest sports bar and restaurant ever.

"There is nothing like this anywhere in the country," Patriots owner Robert Kraft told WBZ-TV's Lisa Hughes.

WBZ got the first look at artist renderings of the new three-story, 15,000 square foot entertainment, dining and sports complex – to be built in Foxboro at Patriot Place, right next to Gillette Stadium.

"People are going to have a great feeling when they come in and party at the CBS Scene," Kraft said.

"People will be there during sporting events, during Patriot games, the NCAA basketball tournament, as well as coming during the week to view CBS programming," CBS President and CEO Leslie Moonves said.

Hundreds of television screens will play live CBS programming, along with some vintage favorites.

"We'll have 150 flat screen TVs where you'll be able to dial up and tune in a lot of these products," Kraft said. "Whether it's '60 Minutes' going back for many years, 'All in the Family', 'I Love Lucy'…

"We hope to have another destination at Patriot Place that is very unique and special."

There will also be broadcast facilities for the CBS Network, as well as WBZ.

"Bob Lobel told me he wants to do Sports Final here, he and Steve Burton every Sunday night," Kraft said. "So post game, the place to be will be the CBS Scene."

"Suddenly the CBS Corporation is expanding into the restaurant business," Moonves said, hinting perhaps at the first of many CBS Scenes.

Construction crews are already at work on CBS Scene in Foxboro. The goal is to have it open by the fall of 2008.

CBS is the parent company of WBZ-TV and wbztv.com.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Re: CBS & New England - Impartiality Issues?

I saw this during the broadcast and I too wondered how this might affect CBS coverage of Patriots games or even issues...say Robert Kraft was investigated for tax evasion...hypothetically of course...

Why not try and get something like that for the Banks? That would lighten up the atmosphere, and give us a better option for postgame parties.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Sports coverage is ENTERTAINMENT. It is NOT a presidential election. It doesn't have to be impartial. It never has been and it never will be. There are conflicts of interest in sports coverage all over the place. There are newspapers that own sports teams, for God's sake.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Sports coverage is ENTERTAINMENT. It is NOT a presidential election. It doesn't have to be impartial. It never has been and it never will be. There are conflicts of interest in sports coverage all over the place. There are newspapers that own sports teams, for God's sake.

I think that's a fair point. If it appears that the CBS announcers are favoring NE, NE sure hasn't given them an excuse not to. If NE starts to suck, I'm sure CBS will move on to the hot hand. About the only problem I could see is when the TV contracts expire. It might be a bit akward when one ownership group is partners with a network that is bidding on the rights to the games but it never seemed to be a problem when Fox owned the Dodgers or when Disney owned the Angels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I agree that they are partial to New England as well as Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. It's no different than Fox being partial to Dallas, Green Bay, and New York. Whoever draws the ratings is going to get the bulk of the coverage.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Wow, way too much "TV" for me.

Even if they are impartial, it doesn't effect the score.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Ok, how about the FSN Banks Restaurant....vintage clips of FSN personalities....George Grandes best Cardinals praises....Jim Day's Famous Flubs...Chris Welsh's Inane Comment Gallery...just an idea...

Turn Off Ads?