Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds going for David Wells

Reds going for David Wells

Mariners, Reds Like David Wells

A couple of clubs have their eye on 44 year-old southpaw David Wells: the Mariners and Reds. Hey, for a few million bucks why not.

The Ms would represent Boomer's ninth organization. Signing him surely wouldn't preclude them from acquiring another, more reliable starter.

He did have a brief stint with the Reds in 1995, making 11 starts for them before being sent to Detroit in a deadline deal. I read Wells' book several years ago, but can't remember exactly how his "tortured dealings" with Marge Schott played out
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,6452448.story
    Bottom of that article

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Thoughts? :thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Gary Redus Ruled

Re: Reds going for David Wells

ugh no thanks
    Hoping for another Reds October

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

I think as a fifth starter maybe

Hmmmm.........well looking at Yahoo's stats on him last season, finishing out the season for the Dodgers against the likes of Colorado, San Diego, the Mets, Giants, and Arizona, he did allow 3 or less runs in 5 of his last 7 outings, going 4-3 in those outings.

But the dude is 2 years older than me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Hmmmm.........well looking at Yahoo's stats on him last season, finishing out the season for the Dodgers against the likes of Colorado, San Diego, the Mets, Giants, and Arizona, he did allow 3 or less runs in 5 of his last 7 outings, going 4-3 in those outings.

But the dude is 2 years older than me.
    I read that the Reds are talking to Brett Tomko, Jim Brower, and now David Wells. Hopefully they are trying to get these guys to come back for an old-timers game or something...and that they are NOT considering them for the regular season. :thumbdown

I think that this is WK lining up options for a #5 starter, should a major trade happen that includes Bailey or Cueto.

That's probably what's going on.
    However, I hope he is also lining up options in case a major trade DOESN'T happen. We need another starter and backup in case Bailey/Belisle falter..

I'm thinking along the lines of Jason Jennings, Matt Clement, Shawn Chacon, Jeff Weaver...etc
    Last edited by kyjobu; 12-05-2007 at 11:55 AM.

What's wrong with having a predictable fifth starter. If he can be decent next season as a fifth starter, and possibly kick Belisle out of the rotation, I'm all for it.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

$3 million last season and he was released by the Padres.

I'd personally rather watch Cueto (and his youthful potential) pitch every fifth day rather than watch Wells (a known and declining quantity).

If anyone out there has a stack of "Sports Illustrated" mags from 95, there's a full body pic of him in a Reds uni. It's amazing to compare this to the current pic of him in our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by kyjobu View Post
    That's probably what's going on.
    However, I hope he is also lining up options in case a major trade DOESN'T happen. We need another starter and backup in case Bailey/Belisle falter..

I'm thinking along the lines of Jason Jennings, Matt Clement, Shawn Chacon, Jeff Weaver...etc
    Yea, agree totally. Wells is not very good but right now our rotation is Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Bailey, and ?. Now is anyone willing to bet our season on both Belisle and Bailey being good all season? We need one more starter for the rotation, then another cheap guy for depth (think a Tomko type, since he has worked some in the BP in the past). I really don't think Cueto is going to start 2008 in Cincinnati.

Maybe they assume Cueto is not ready and their looking for a one year pitcher. He wouldn't be all that horrible of a number 5. Definitely not my first choice either, but he could be sufficient.

If we were just getting him as a guy to hang out with and drink beer with, that would be OK. Not as our third starter, are you kidding me. He would not only push up our ERA, but also our average weight per player. No Way.

Did anyone else see that the Reds are interesting in Glendon Rusch's comeback? Now that would be the worst signing in about 10 years.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?