Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds will get another starter,but who?

Reds will get another starter,but who?

Its a known fact that Cincy will get another stater,but who?They have 4 starters on there roster so they have to add another starter.I say they will add 2 more and probably add Belisle into what ever trade they make.But who will that trade be for.I dont think we end up with Bedard,Haren,Santana, or any big big name guys.I could see someone like Shields,Hill, or someone like them.I would just like to know who you guys think they may trade for.Im not sure who they trade for but I think they sign Lieber to a 2 year deal for probably 5 or 6 mil. to be our 5 guy and help bring our young guys along.So who do you think they will add?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds will get another starter,but who?

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Its a known fact that Cincy will get another stater,but who?They have 4 starters on there roster so they have to add another starter.I say they will add 2 more and probably add Belisle into what ever trade they make.But who will that trade be for.I dont think we end up with Bedard,Haren,Santana, or any big big name guys.I could see someone like Shields,Hill, or someone like them.I would just like to know who you guys think they may trade for.Im not sure who they trade for but I think they sign Lieber to a 2 year deal for probably 5 or 6 mil. to be our 5 guy and help bring our young guys along.So who do you think they will add?
    I think they end up with a 40 year old #4 to go along with Harang, Arroyo, Bailey and Belisle. I Also believe that Shearn and Maloney will get their shots too. I see Cueto being a late 2008 to early 2009 entry.

Eric Milton?

IMO I think we did the best thing in not mortgaging our future to acquire someone like Bedard or Haren. Lets grab a few retreads (Wells and Lieber) and hope Cueto develops and that Homer shines.

Carlos Silva would not surprise me.

Leiber or Clement for one year works for me.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Shearn, Cueto, and Maloney are non-roster invitees to spring training, and it is possible but unlikely they could make the 25 man roster. I think the trade offers are getting too outrageous, so Wayne will look to go the free agency route to get some starting pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Shearn, Cueto, and Maloney are non-roster invitees to spring training, and it is possible but unlikely they could make the 25 man roster. I think the trade offers are getting too outrageous, so Wayne will look to go the free agency route to get some starting pitching.
    Every team thinks the price for trades is too outrageous. Once the meetings are over and the need for headlines dies down, a few of the sellers are going to realize they're just going to have to lessen the price or keep what they've got. The meetings have been about speculation and price gouging for the most part. Both are easier to accomplish when everyone who's shopping is in the same room. Most of these pitchers will be traded, but for far less than what's currently being asked. If it wasn't in the best interest of the sellers to sell, they wouldn't be sellers.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Thursday, December 6, 2007
    Winter Meetings: It's a wrap

What Wayne Krivsky said in the final pow wow with writers at the Winter Meetings spoke volumes:

"I would like to have done something if it improved the ballclub. I feel good about our team right now. We added (Francisco) Cordero as a major piece to the team. We want to solidify the starting rotation, see if we can add an arm or two to compete for one of those spots."

A couple of days ago the Reds were hopeful about getting Erik Bedard or Dan Haren or Dontrelle Willis. Those are not guys you bring to compete for spots in the rotation. Those are guys you pencil in for 35 starts. The Reds haven't given up on that, but it doesn't sound hopeful.

“There’s always that possibility," Krivsky said. "We’re not ruling that out either."

But it seems much more likely that the Reds will sign a low-level free agent -- Brett Tomko, Jon Lieber, etc. -- than pull off a big trade. The only player they added at the Meetings was Jose Valenzuela, a 23-year-old right-hander they picked in the Rule 5 draft. He was 1-3 with 7.00 ERA in Single-A last season.

Krivsky said right now Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle are the only ones assured spots in the rotation. Homer Bailey has the inside track to the fourth spot. The fifth spot? Hard to say.

"That's the way stands right," Krivsky. "It's a long way to spring training. It depends on what happens."

posted by John Fay at 11:30 AM

It doesn't sound like the Reds are going to make a trade this off-season. The starting rotation now seems like Harang -Arroyo-Belisle-Bailey- and ?. We will probably see the Reds sign a cheap SP to take the fifth slot.

I still think Willis is the pitcher the Reds end up with. I'm not sure what the Tigers need. Could a Willis for Jr swap work?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    Eric Milton?
    No, Red Daddy. BucksandReds said 40 year old pitcher. Not pitcher who gives up 40 HR's.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Thursday, December 6, 2007
    Winter Meetings: It's a wrap

What Wayne Krivsky said in the final pow wow with writers at the Winter Meetings spoke volumes:

"I would like to have done something if it improved the ballclub. I feel good about our team right now. We added (Francisco) Cordero as a major piece to the team. We want to solidify the starting rotation, see if we can add an arm or two to compete for one of those spots."

A couple of days ago the Reds were hopeful about getting Erik Bedard or Dan Haren or Dontrelle Willis. Those are not guys you bring to compete for spots in the rotation. Those are guys you pencil in for 35 starts. The Reds haven't given up on that, but it doesn't sound hopeful.

“There’s always that possibility," Krivsky said. "We’re not ruling that out either."

But it seems much more likely that the Reds will sign a low-level free agent -- Brett Tomko, Jon Lieber, etc. -- than pull off a big trade. The only player they added at the Meetings was Jose Valenzuela, a 23-year-old right-hander they picked in the Rule 5 draft. He was 1-3 with 7.00 ERA in Single-A last season.

Krivsky said right now Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle are the only ones assured spots in the rotation. Homer Bailey has the inside track to the fourth spot. The fifth spot? Hard to say.

"That's the way stands right," Krivsky. "It's a long way to spring training. It depends on what happens."

posted by John Fay at 11:30 AM

It doesn't sound like the Reds are going to make a trade this off-season. The starting rotation now seems like Harang -Arroyo-Belisle-Bailey- and ?. We will probably see the Reds sign a cheap SP to take the fifth slot.
    Thanks for these updates AR.
    If Bailey takes a step forward, I could handle Belisle as a #4 or #5.
    I still have hope the reds can obtain a good #3.
    WK sounds like though the winter meetings have ended,his work is just beginning. One thing different is this year, you really get the feeling the reds are trying to improve.

In other words, we're looking for somebody to be better than Shearn until Cueto is ready to be given a chance. I look for it to be Brett Tomko.

I think cueto is going to make this roster out of spring training pretty easily honestly

Bedard, Clement, or Prior.

Turn Off Ads?