Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Thread: Lost Christmas Classics

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,461

    Lost Christmas Classics

    Maybe "Lost" isn't the right word but Christmas movies or shows that you don't ever see or very little on TV anymore. A couple come to mind for me. I have them on VHS and glad I do.
    The first one is "The Homecoming". It was the forerunner of the TV series, The Waltons. Patricia O'Neal and Richard Thomas were the stars of this one. My parents always said it was exactly the way they grew up in the depression being a part of a large family like the Waltons were.
    Another one is "A House without a Christmas Tree". Jason Robards is in this one. When I was younger I didn't like it because I thought the little girl was a brat. But I watched it for the first time in long time a couple of years ago and really liked it. They also made a Thanksgiving show with the same cast and it was very good too.
    Also you don't see Holiday Inn or Christmas in Connecticut much anymore. They are older movies but nice to watch.
    You got any favorites that you just don't see much anymore?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  2. #2
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,277

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Maybe "Lost" isn't the right word but Christmas movies or shows that you don't ever see or very little on TV anymore. A couple come to mind for me. I have them on VHS and glad I do.
    The first one is "The Homecoming". It was the forerunner of the TV series, The Waltons. Patricia O'Neal and Richard Thomas were the stars of this one. My parents always said it was exactly the way they grew up in the depression being a part of a large family like the Waltons were.
    Another one is "A House without a Christmas Tree". Jason Robards is in this one. When I was younger I didn't like it because I thought the little girl was a brat. But I watched it for the first time in long time a couple of years ago and really liked it. They also made a Thanksgiving show with the same cast and it was very good too.
    Also you don't see Holiday Inn or Christmas in Connecticut much anymore. They are older movies but nice to watch.
    You got any favorites that you just don't see much anymore?

    I have the Homecoming on VHS, watch it first if I'm in the Christmas mood... I personally think it's a GREAT TV movie, from an era that TV Movies ruled the airwaves.

  3. #3
    Duranie Ho, Ho, Ho! KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,418

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    TCM is getting an earful for not showing Holiday Inn this December. When Maureen Stapleton died last year, I thought of the movie "The Electric Grandmother" - also, there is a rare cartoon called "Cosmic Christmas" that I thought was great.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

  4. #4
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Another one is "A House without a Christmas Tree". Jason Robards is in this one. When I was younger I didn't like it because I thought the little girl was a brat. But I watched it for the first time in long time a couple of years ago and really liked it. They also made a Thanksgiving show with the same cast and it was very good too.
    Is that the one about the little girl whose mother died and had a really mean, bitter father?
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 12-06-2007 at 12:03 PM.

  5. #5
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,461

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is that the one about the little girl who's mother died and had a really mean, bitter father?
    Yes it is. Robards is really terrific playing this role.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  6. #6
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,277

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    I also always liked the musical version of The Christmas Carol (Scrooge 1970) with Albert Finney as Scrooge... who was 13 years younger then the actor who plays his nephew

  7. #7
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,461

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I also always liked the musical version of The Christmas Carol (Scrooge 1970) with Albert Finney as Scrooge... who was 13 years younger then the actor who plays his nephew

    I like that one too. It's my second favorite adapation of the Christmas Carol. My favorite is the one George C. Scott is in, made in 1984.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  8. #8
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,277

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I like that one too. It's my second favorite adapation of the Christmas Carol. My favorite is the one George C. Scott is in, made in 1984.
    Mine as well, I have that at home too... George is great.

  9. #9
    Davey BuckWoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    911

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I like that one too. It's my second favorite adapation of the Christmas Carol. My favorite is the one George C. Scott is in, made in 1984.
    We have the George C. Scott Christmas Carol on DVD. It is my absolute favorite Christmas movie/special. The casting and acting in it are absolutely wonderful.

    I still drop the line about "making rather merry yesterday" on people from time to time....usually followed by strange looks.

  10. #10
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,891

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Don't know how "lost" it is but I like the 1951 Scrooge starring Alastair Sim. Does a name get any more British than Alastair Sim?

    Also, Pee-Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special with a cast that included Charo, Magic Johnson, Oprah, Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello. Inspired lunacy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  11. #11
    Duranie Ho, Ho, Ho! KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,418

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Don't know how "lost" it is but I like the 1951 Scrooge starring Alastair Sim. Does a name get any more British than Alastair Sim?

    Also, Pee-Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special with a cast that included Charo, Magic Johnson, Oprah, Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello. Inspired lunacy.
    I love the version w/Sim - I bought at Best Buy a 2 DVD set with a restored B&W version - they also have the colorized version (yeech) as well in the set. Another good "Christmas Carol" is "An American Christmas Carol" with Henry Winkler set in the Depression. Went and bought "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" as well. PBS sometimes shows two British Christmas classics that you can find on DVD now... "The Snowman" and "Father Christmas"... BUT beware of the "Father Christmas" DVD - I purchased that they redid the audio. Father Christmas in the original has a cockney accent (says bloomin' alot) and the DVD is just an English accent. VERY dissappointing!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

  12. #12
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,687

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I like that one too. It's my second favorite adapation of the Christmas Carol. My favorite is the one George C. Scott is in, made in 1984.
    Bought that one last year on DVD. But my favorite version is the 1951 one starring Alastair Sim.

    And you can purchase a highlight DVD of Bing Crosby Christmas

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TWQ7?...MYQYBCYS8QC45&

    Always loved this Crosby-Bowie duet on Little Drummer Boy

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  13. #13
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Always loved this Crosby-Bowie duet on Little Drummer Boy

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA

    Wasn't that his last show? That is a wonderful duet. I have the recording on tape. I've always wondered how those two ever got together. Seems like an odd pairing to say the least.

    What do you think the chances are of a Pat Boone-Marilyn Manson duet someday?

  14. #14
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Wasn't that his last show? That is a wonderful duet. I have the recording on tape. I've always wondered how those two ever got together. Seems like an odd pairing to say the least.

    What do you think the chances are of a Pat Boone-Marilyn Manson duet someday?
    I either read somewhere or saw on a show once that Crosby had no idea who Bowie was.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  15. #15
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Lost Christmas Classics

    What I miss are the Bing Crosby specials. I wonder why channel can't get the rights to show these, even if they just showed one or two a year. I'd be all over that!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25