Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Christmas Classics

Lost Christmas Classics

Maybe "Lost" isn't the right word but Christmas movies or shows that you don't ever see or very little on TV anymore. A couple come to mind for me. I have them on VHS and glad I do.
    The first one is "The Homecoming". It was the forerunner of the TV series, The Waltons. Patricia O'Neal and Richard Thomas were the stars of this one. My parents always said it was exactly the way they grew up in the depression being a part of a large family like the Waltons were.
    Another one is "A House without a Christmas Tree". Jason Robards is in this one. When I was younger I didn't like it because I thought the little girl was a brat. But I watched it for the first time in long time a couple of years ago and really liked it. They also made a Thanksgiving show with the same cast and it was very good too.
    Also you don't see Holiday Inn or Christmas in Connecticut much anymore. They are older movies but nice to watch.
    You got any favorites that you just don't see much anymore?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lost Christmas Classics

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Maybe "Lost" isn't the right word but Christmas movies or shows that you don't ever see or very little on TV anymore. A couple come to mind for me. I have them on VHS and glad I do.
    The first one is "The Homecoming". It was the forerunner of the TV series, The Waltons. Patricia O'Neal and Richard Thomas were the stars of this one. My parents always said it was exactly the way they grew up in the depression being a part of a large family like the Waltons were.
    Another one is "A House without a Christmas Tree". Jason Robards is in this one. When I was younger I didn't like it because I thought the little girl was a brat. But I watched it for the first time in long time a couple of years ago and really liked it. They also made a Thanksgiving show with the same cast and it was very good too.
    Also you don't see Holiday Inn or Christmas in Connecticut much anymore. They are older movies but nice to watch.
    You got any favorites that you just don't see much anymore?

I have the Homecoming on VHS, watch it first if I'm in the Christmas mood... I personally think it's a GREAT TV movie, from an era that TV Movies ruled the airwaves.

TCM is getting an earful for not showing Holiday Inn this December. When Maureen Stapleton died last year, I thought of the movie "The Electric Grandmother" - also, there is a rare cartoon called "Cosmic Christmas" that I thought was great.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Is that the one about the little girl whose mother died and had a really mean, bitter father?
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 12-06-2007 at 11:03 AM.

I also always liked the musical version of The Christmas Carol (Scrooge 1970) with Albert Finney as Scrooge... who was 13 years younger then the actor who plays his nephew

What I miss are the Bing Crosby specials. I wonder why channel can't get the rights to show these, even if they just showed one or two a year. I'd be all over that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is that the one about the little girl who's mother died and had a really mean, bitter father?
    Yes it is. Robards is really terrific playing this role.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I also always liked the musical version of The Christmas Carol (Scrooge 1970) with Albert Finney as Scrooge... who was 13 years younger then the actor who plays his nephew

I like that one too. It's my second favorite adapation of the Christmas Carol. My favorite is the one George C. Scott is in, made in 1984.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What I miss are the Bing Crosby specials. I wonder why channel can't get the rights to show these, even if they just showed one or two a year. I'd be all over that!

I recorded a special that was highlights of all his shows many years ago. I pull it out and watch it some years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I like that one too. It's my second favorite adapation of the Christmas Carol. My favorite is the one George C. Scott is in, made in 1984.
    Mine as well, I have that at home too... George is great.

We still drag out our well-worn VHS copy of "The Muppet Christmas Carol" with Michael Caine and a whole host of Muppets.

The kids liked it when they were little and now that they are college and HS age, they still like it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    We still drag out our well-worn VHS copy of "The Muppet Christmas Carol" with Michael Caine and a whole host of Muppets.

The kids liked it when they were little and now that they are college and HS age, they still like it.
    You, like me missed out on the whole Sesame Street gang as icons... I'm still waiting for Tom Terrific's Christmas starring Dancing Bear and Mr. Bunny Rabbit

"Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas". I do have it on VHS, but I miss the ubiquitous broadcasts on HBO.

The Riverbottom Nightmare Band absolutely rocked!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You, like me missed out on the whole Sesame Street gang as icons... I'm still waiting for Tom Terrific's Christmas starring Dancing Bear and Mr. Bunny Rabbit
    I got to see them all through the eyes of my kids.

Another VHS we drag out is "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street". Big Bird and crowd try to figure out how Santa gets down the chimney. Well-done.

A Roy fave song is "I Hate Christmas" sung by Oscar the Grouch.

I know entirely too much about Sesame Street, the Muppets, and Muppet Babies.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We have the George C. Scott Christmas Carol on DVD. It is my absolute favorite Christmas movie/special. The casting and acting in it are absolutely wonderful.

I still drop the line about "making rather merry yesterday" on people from time to time....usually followed by strange looks.

Turn Off Ads?