Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Christmas Classics

Re: Lost Christmas Classics

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Wasn't that his last show? That is a wonderful duet. I have the recording on tape. I've always wondered how those two ever got together. Seems like an odd pairing to say the least.

What do you think the chances are of a Pat Boone-Marilyn Manson duet someday?
    I either read somewhere or saw on a show once that Crosby had no idea who Bowie was.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I either read somewhere or saw on a show once that Crosby had no idea who Bowie was.
    That was on Crosby's last Christmas special. It aired after he had died. I can remember watching it then and thinking such an odd combination of Bowie and Crosby. I read years later they were never together and that their pieces were filmed separately and spliced together for TV. It is a good rendition and I have it on VHS with a show I taped many years ago called America's Top Ten Christmas songs,in the Rock N Roll era, that was hosted by Casey Casem. They through that one in as an extra, I think? I try to watch that every year. It has neat renditions of popular christmas songs. BTW, Rudolph was number one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    In the late '60's and early '70's WTTV channel 4 in Inidnapolis used to air a movie called Dondi. I think it was about a young orphan boy that was Asian. They showed it every Christmas Eve in the afternoon and my brother and I always watched it. Haven't seen it in years.
    I remember that one.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this gem - which, yes, I do remember watching when it was shown.
    Tried to block it out. Didn't Jefferson Starship or just Starship perform on that debacle?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I remember that one.
    Here's IMDB's description of Dondi. Also Amazon has it as a downloadable rental. I didn't even know Amazon did that? I had never heard of this movie. David Janssen and Patti Page starred in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054816/

http://www.amazon.com/Dondi/dp/B000S...7037785&sr=8-2
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Here's IMDB's description of Dondi. Also Amazon has it as a downloadable rental. I didn't even know Amazon did that? I had never heard of this movie. David Janssen and Patti Page starred in it.

Dondi was a very popular comic strip, I used to read it in the Detroit Free Press in the early 70's .

I have a book on the worst movies ever made, Dondi is in it.

Dondi was an Italian War Orphan brought home by a soldier

Last Christmas Eve I went to sleep, or more accurately tried to go to sleep, with A Very Married Christmas starring Joe Mantegna on a TV that I could hear but not see (long story). Being a Simpsons fan, my brain equates the voice of Joe Mantegna with Fat Tony. I had the hardest time getting to sleep because I kept seeing Fat Tony in various Christmas situations as the movie played out. Not sure I ever go to sleep. And of course, the little ones were up before 5 am. Thanks a lot Joe!
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Zoinks!

I read years later they were never together and that their pieces were filmed separately and spliced together for TV.
    Nah, they were together when they filmed it. Bing was on tour in the UK when they filmed his special that year. After they finished the filming he exchanged phone numbers with Bowie. Bing said he was impressed with Bowie and that Bowie could probably have a fine film career if he so chose. Also, said he seemed like a nice clean cut kid with good manners. Bing liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this gem - which, yes, I do remember watching when it was shown.
    I have a bootleg DVD of that, if anyone wants a copy. Seriously, it's incredibly fun. Terrible, charming fun.

Yes, RichRed, Jefferson Starship did perform, for no good reason. I think some network exec just thought, "Hey we need a rock band, you know, for the kids. This group has a spacey-sounding name, so they'll be perfect."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I have a bootleg DVD of that, if anyone wants a copy. Seriously, it's incredibly fun. Terrible, charming fun.

Yes, RichRed, Jefferson Starship did perform, for no good reason. I think some network exec just thought, "Hey we need a rock band, you know, for the kids. This group has a spacey-sounding name, so they'll be perfect."
    They didn't happen to sing "We Built This Death Star," did they?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

One sacharine movie (in the most positive sense) that was always on at Christmas as "A Very Brady Christmas" but my favourite has to Miracle on 34th Street - The one with Ed Gwynn and Maureen O'Hara.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They didn't happen to sing "We Built This Death Star," did they?
    I wish!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Zoinks!

A movie I liked & only saw once was A Christmas To Remember with Jason Robards. Good moive, from what I remember. I also liked One Magic Christmas with Mary Steenburgen and Harry Dean Stanton.

Yeah, Janssen played the soldier who befriended Dondi. The critics were really harsh on this movie; but who listens to critics. As kids, my sister and I loved it. I also remember the comic strip.

I didn't know Amazon did that either; but I'd rather be able to purchase a copy of it. I bet my older sister would love a copy for Christmas.

Growing up in our household, my Dad, during the Holiday season, always filled the home with Christmas music.... Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, Percy Faith, Andy Williams. I still love to listen to it.

But one of my all-time favorites is Sleigh Ride by Andre Kostelanetz & His Orchestra.

I still have a copy of this.....

Turn Off Ads?