Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan O'Brien

Dan O'Brien

I want to come forward as someone who cringed at that first press conference former GM Dan O'Brien held when he named 2,093 members of the Houston Astros organization, plus Jesus Christ, for the "opportunity" to handle a major league club's baseball business. There was no way I would have had him as the gm of my beloved Redlegs at that time, and I wouldn't today. But, Jay Bruce was drafted under his watch, and it seems that the Reds could probably have any starting pitcher in baseball today if they would just step up and deal that kid, or at least some package that included him.

That is a pretty powerful bargaining chip that Dan left on the table. Who knows what the Reds will do with it now, but I would like to express my sincere gratitude for that much.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dan O'Brien

Second that.

Bruce is untouchable to me.. what if he turns out to be another Griffey Jr??? and the pitcher we get is injured and out of baseball in 2-3 years?? no thanks!! Want to deal Hamilton, or Dunn fine.. NOT BRUCE!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Bruce is untouchable to me.. what if he turns out to be another Griffey Jr??? and the pitcher we get is injured and out of baseball in 2-3 years?? no thanks!! Want to deal Hamilton, or Dunn fine.. NOT BRUCE!!
    To play devils advocate, the Mariners had a young JR for 11 seasons and won nothing, the Giants had Mays for 21 years and won no series.
    Go Gators!

welll then lets trade everybody and start over again

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

What if Jay Bruce eats a poison doughnut while visiting a Krispy Kreme during spring training?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    the Giants had Mays for 21 years and won no series.

The 1954 Cleveland Indians say, hi.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The 1954 Cleveland Indians say, hi.
    Didn't he make some sort of famous catch in that series? Anyone?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Listening to the XM baseball shows today, it became obvious that the Reds will have to take scraps if they find a fifth starter (or a third or a fourth or whatever). The consenus was Baltimore and others were waiting to see how much of a contract Santana got befoe they placed a firm "price" on what they wanted for him. And it seems to be what the rest of the clubs are doing. It may well make the cost too high for the Reds.

That said, I consider Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton, Joey Votto, Homer Bailey, Cueto, etc. as untouchable. It's obvious that the Reds are going to pick up a Brett Tomko or someone like him to round out their starting rotation. If so, then the 5 mentioned above should not e considered for deals until we can afford to let them go.

Oh, and to be on-topic, even a blind squirrell finds a nut now a then. The other damage he did (Milton, etc) more than makes up for any acquisitions he gets credit for.

Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey are his legacy.

That does nothing to dissuade the fact that a vast majority of his major league decisions are as well.

I give him a D + . His pink slip was well deserved.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey are his legacy.

That does nothing to dissuade the fact that a vast majority of his major league decisions are as well.

I give him a D + . His pink slip was well deserved.
    Don't peg me as a proponent of Dan-O based on this post. I am the man who questioned Carl Lindner's religion. I thought Dan O'Brien was akin to Barney Fife hired to investigate Watergate.

But, even the harshest critic would have to admit that Bailey and Bruce trumped the last couple of drafts by a wide margin. You have to give credit where it is due or else you are just rationalizing.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Didn't he make some sort of famous catch in that series? Anyone?
    Doh.

I was thinking San Fran Giants and blanked on the New York years.

Still, IMO nobody should be untouchable until this team has the pitching to win a world series, getting above .500 shouldn't be the goal.
    Go Gators!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Didn't he make some sort of famous Catch in that series? Anyone?
    I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Listening to the XM baseball shows today, it became obvious that the Reds will have to take scraps if they find a fifth starter (or a third or a fourth or whatever). The consenus was Baltimore and others were waiting to see how much of a contract Santana got befoe they placed a firm "price" on what they wanted for him. And it seems to be what the rest of the clubs are doing. It may well make the cost too high for the Reds.

That said, I consider Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton, Joey Votto, Homer Bailey, Cueto, etc. as untouchable. It's obvious that the Reds are going to pick up a Brett Tomko or someone like him to round out their starting rotation. If so, then the 5 mentioned above should not e considered for deals until we can afford to let them go.

Oh, and to be on-topic, even a blind squirrell finds a nut now a then. The other damage he did (Milton, etc) more than makes up for any acquisitions he gets credit for.
    I'm in favor of keeping the top 4 prospects, but I disagree about the scraps remark. There is plenty of middle ground between the Santanas and Bedards of the world and the Saarloosesque types like Tomko (or maybe Saarloos was Tomkoesque). Just because the Reds don't sell the farm for one stud pitcher doesn't mean that they can't piece together a very presentable rotation with true solid middle of the rotation pitchers (Scott Baker, Chris Capuano, etc.) The Reds need to trade for one like that (using lesser players like EdE, Hopper, Stubbs, Maloney, McBeth etc. as bait), sign a decent vet for number 4 (say Leiber), use Belisle as number 5. Meanwhile let the kids continue to percolate in AAA for depth and as the succession plan down the road.

It doesn't have to be all (Bedard) or worse than nothing (Tomko).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Dan O'Brien is described as an incompetent fool in each of these books, and they both came out in the 70s.

Turn Off Ads?