Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey for Rios being discussed?

Re: Bailey for Rios being discussed?

The most logical trading partners are the Reds and DRays. The Reds want another young arm(most likely a lefty) while the DRays need some bats.

I have a feeling "Kdawg" thought he could pry Kazmir away for Hamilton and EE but the DRays blinked yesterday and may have countered with McGee who needs another year in the minors unless they gave up Jay Bruce........which the Reds wouldn't do.

I think stuff like Bailey/Rios is a bore. I don't see it helping the Reds a whole lot nor is Rios overly gifted enough to counter Bailey. Bailey offers more upside surprise and present term surprise where the Reds need it more. Bruce offers franchise ability to replace expensive and aging stars.

Hence, I suspect Hamilton/Rays will bring something down the road though that is just a gut feeling.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    IF Rios comes to the Reds, he'll play CF this year.

Bailey?

Ummm the title of this thread is pretty much the reason don't ya think?
    Well, you quoted me then asked a question about Bailey as if I had brought him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    doug, are you honestly saying you wouldn't move Bailey and Bruce for Rios and Bedard?
    I wouldn't, becuase I wouldn't move Bruce for Bedard. I am not sure if I would move Bailey for Rios either, but that one I am willing to move a little bit with depending on what my scouts said. Bruce though, is untouchable if I am the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, you quoted me then asked a question about Bailey as if I had brought him up.
    Well he is tethered to your concept of everything Reds, is he not?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    In post #5 when you said
    It doesn't make sense unless you are moving another outfielder, which at this point I guess would be Hamilton if I had to take a guess. At that point would you start Rios over Bruce in CF? I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well he is tethered to your concept of everything Reds, is he not?
    No, I don't think it makes sense based off of Baker saying 'I didn't come here to manage without Griffey and Dunn' and the idea of starting Rios over Hamilton or Bruce. It had nothing to do with Bailey when I made that comment.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I love the idea of trading Bruce and Bailey for Rios and Bedard, but the Reds couldn't afford it. Rios and Bedard will be incredibly expensive for the rest of their careers while Bailey and Bruce would still be in their pre-arbitration years.

I'd rather have Josh Hamilton.

Rios '07
    .297/.354/.498/.852 $2.535 million

Hamilton '07
    .292/.368/.554/.922 $380,000

It would be a terrible trade for the Reds to give up Homer Bailey to replace something they already have. I see this is just another way to push Hamilton out of Cincinnati. I just don't get people who want him traded. The Reds don't need an outfielder unless Dunn and Jr. are leaving town.
    Last edited by Jpup; 12-06-2007 at 01:37 PM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Here's a fun thread to read from last offseason.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ight=alex+rios
    FCB provided the cliff notes summary.

Some how the thread morphed into a discussion about how Dunn doesn't run hard enough to his position between innings.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I don't know, an outfield of Hamilton, Bruce, and Rios might be pretty exciting to watch.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't know, an outfield of Hamilton, Bruce, and Rios might be pretty exciting to watch.
    an outfield of Hamilton, Bruce, and Dunn would be more productive.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    an outfield of Hamilton, Bruce, and Dunn would be more productive.
    I don't think so and it wouldn't be a hard decision.

Rios was more productive in '07 and it's reasonable to assume he'll continue to be so. Basically Rios was a 4.5 to 5 win over replacement player last season. Dunn was roughly a 3 win player.

Plus Rios is RHed which is nice.

How long before Rios reaches free agency?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't think so and it wouldn't be a hard decision.

Rios was more productive in '07 and it's reasonable to assume he'll continue to be so. Basically Rios was a 4.5 to 5 win over replacement player last season. Dunn was roughly a 3 win player.

Plus Rios is RHed which is nice.
    I think you are greatly underestimating Dunn's value.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    How long before Rios reaches free agency?
    Rios has 2.13 years of service time.

Turn Off Ads?