Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bailey for Rios being discussed?

Re: Bailey for Rios being discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Good point, but there's been a lot of inflation since then.
    20 million for Manny is no longer mind numbing. It's not a bargain,
    but when you look at the Guillen, Andruw Jones contracts (as well as Goodwin, McRae, etc from last year), it's not that horrible.

Someone brought up Carlos Lee. That's a pretty good comp. Dunn is better than Lee, and Lee had no problem getting 100 million.

If Dunn was willing to take a 3 year contact (instead of more years for security), I'm guessing he could probably get 75 million, easy.. Now, if he wants 6-7 years, he'll get less per year, but I think 18-20 million/year for Dunn is easy, if he's not picky about where he goes, and especially if he's willing to 1b/DH. Not saying Dunn feels that way, but if he wanted to go for the money, a lot of clubs would pay it.
    You cant seriously think anyone would pay Adam Dunn 25 million a year for 3 years do you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Good point, but there's been a lot of inflation since then.
    Yeah, that was why I mentioned it. I probably should have thrown in a or something. It just struck me as astonishing how quickly $20M a year goes from ridiculous to ordinary.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yeah, the Reds don't need a CF and Homer is just shedding his Jim Maloney shell right?
    This just in from the sundeck: Rios should play firstbase....

"This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Color me completely confused about this rumor. Is Wayne suddenly turning into Jim Bowden or something? Why in the world would we trade our best pitching prospect in years for yet another "toolsy" outfielder? I don't care if Alex Rios is right-handed or how good a player he might be, this just doesn't make sense!
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

My first thought when I read the head line, WK's finger's getting twitchy on the Bruce trigger. Only thing that really make sense. As other's have guessed, probably Bailey for Rijos and then Bruce for Bedard. Would WK then turn around and deal hamilton for someone like Hill, Cain, Blanton, Baker or one of the young TB arms (Garza?)?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This just in from the sundeck: Rios should play firstbase....

That guy is just trying to get Norris Hopper in the lineup.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It doesn't make sense unless you are moving another outfielder, which at this point I guess would be Hamilton if I had to take a guess. At that point would you start Rios over Bruce in CF? I wouldn't.
    I keep clinging to the pipe dream that Griffey's traded before Opening Day.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I keep clinging to the pipe dream that Griffey's traded before Opening Day.
    Griffey, Stanton, and cash for Murton and Marmol...

(Yes, I know the Cubs wouldn't trade Marmol and that Junior has 10-5 rights).

Bruce to CF, Hamilton to platoon in RF with Murton. Marmol as primary setup guy, or stretch him back out to a starter. Or just make it Sean Marshall and be done with it. It works out surprisingly well for everybody, but between Junior's veto and the whole inter-divisional aspect of it, it would never happen.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-06-2007 at 04:48 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

You only deal Bailey for Rios if you are positive (and I mean POSITIVE) that you can flip Dunn/Junior/Hamilton for a quality starting pitcher.

And then the Reds would still be short a starter.

Highlifeman, from what I have heard, Griffey was already attempted to be moved earlier this offseason but someone backed out of the deal.... so Wayne isn't holding onto that chip like its gold or anything.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Bruce to CF, Hamilton to platoon in RF with Murton. Marmol as primary setup guy, or stretch him back out to a starter. Or just make it Sean Marshall and be done with it. It works out surprisingly well for everybody, but between Junior's veto and the whole inter-divisional aspect of it, it would never happen.
    For whatever reason, I still see Atlanta as a good destination for Griffey.

At this point in time, I could care less what we get back. A foam finger, a case of Cracker Jack, and one of those sundaes in the little baseball helmet? Sure, sign me up.

Moving Griffey frees up the OF for both Hamilton and Bruce to play everyday, which at this point in both of their careers, they need.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Griffey to the Cubs was a lot closer to happening than you think.... someone backed out of a proposed deal involving Griffey and Jaque Jones among others in a trade between the clubs. Not sure if Griffey had any say in why it didn't happen or not, but it was something floating around out there among scouts that I talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't (trade Bailey and Bruce for Rios and Bedard,) becuase I wouldn't move Bruce for Bedard. I am not sure if I would move Bailey for Rios either, but that one I am willing to move a little bit with depending on what my scouts said. Bruce though, is untouchable if I am the GM.
    Well then you're crazy IMO. That would be the best move the Reds could possibly do. And I absolutely love Jay Bruce (and hope we don't trade him, short of this deal.)

Rios is young, cheap, extremley productive, signed for three more years, right handed and is solid defensively in CF.

Bedard is signed for two more years, left-handed, and would arguably be better for the Reds than Harang.

That is exactly what the Reds need. Their window is for the next 2-3 years, and this would be ideal. And they keep Hamilton, Votto, and Cueto for the future.
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

This isn't a rumor, it's speculation. Carry on.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This isn't a rumor, it's speculation. Carry on.
    Okay... well then I don't understand this speculation either.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Turn Off Ads?