Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangers interested in Josh Hamilton

Rangers interested in Josh Hamilton

Would you trade Hamilton for Volquez? He looks to have nasty stuff ( 144.2 IP, 98 H, 13 HR, 166 K) in the minor leagues but he also walked 60 batters. The command worries me a bit but his stuff is top of the line.

Winter meetings: Reds looking to deal Freel, Hamilton for pitching

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Cincinnati general manager Wayne Krivsky has been on the prowl at the winter meetings, to the approval of owner Bob Castellini.

Castellini is unhappy with the state of his club, and his response has been to push harder for the grand gesture.

It started with the Castellini-engineered hiring of Dusty Baker as manager. The signing of free-agent closer Francisco Cordero addressed a significant need and also demonstrated Castellini's willingness to pay the price for success.

"They didn't really make any promises," Baker said. "But (the Cordero signing) did assure me we were going to do everything we could ... to put the best team together and make the most intelligent decisions that we can with the resources we have."

Now, Krivsky is trying to turn the club's surplus of outfielders into a deal for a starting pitcher. Baker acknowledged on Wednesday that he cannot envision five starters on the current roster.

The Reds made a run at Baltimore lefthander Erik Bedard but refused to include outfielder Jay Bruce, their minor league player of the year, in the deal.

Cincinnati would put outfielder Ryan Freel in any deal, and the team is also willing to move outfielder Josh Hamilton, whose checkered past included suspensions and eight stays in drug-rehab clinics.

According to Texas officials on Wednesday, the Rangers would like to add Hamilton to fill the center-field void. The Reds are interested in righthander Edinson Volquez, who has 80 innings of major-league experience. The Rangers could also end up moving veteran righthhander Kevin Millwood, who was also part of talks with St. Louis concerning third baseman Scott Rolen.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=314925

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rangers interested in Josh Hamilton

I like Volquez quite a bit but I would want a little more,
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I like Volquez quite a bit but I would want a little more,
    Josh Hamilton for Volquez and CJ Wilson? I'd probably have to do that.

I like Volquez a lot. I agree though that he's not enough to net Hamilton. I like Volquez so much in fact, that I'd take a good low level prospect and Volquez.

I watched some highlights of Volquez on mlb.com. Mid-nineties heat and he did flash a very good change breaking down and away from lefties. Up in the zone with several of the fastballs, but they're quick enough to get swings and misses. Right now he looks like he lacks some command -- getting by with superior stuff. I like the idea of getting a little Dominican cadre on the staff (Cueto, Cordero, Volquez), and Soto may be able to help the young guys refine their stuff, who knows. Intriguing possibility, but I agree that the Rangers would need to add something, especially if Freel is included.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Hamilton, Freel, Coffey & Lecure (or another B prospect) for Volquez, Wilson and Teagarden - they would probably want to pullback Wilson and I'd probably let them for a decent enough prospect.

They can have Ross too (he hit them hard in Cincy this year - Redszone was there) if it will keep the three above in the deal. They probably wouldn't since they have Laird & they say that Salty is staying behind the plate. *

*Anyone can have Stanton at any time, in any deal for any return, they just need to ask. And if they ask now they can have Juan Castro as a free gift.

That's right all you wheeler-dealer's out there "Manos D'Oro" at absolutely no charge when you just consider Mike "the Lefty Legend" Stanton and we'll even pickup any Shipping and Handling charges! (Act now though, quantities are limited! Void in Boston, New York, Detroit or anywhere rosters are loaded - some pre-existing salary obligations may apply)
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-06-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Hamilton, Freel, Coffey & Lecure (or another B prospect) for Volquez, Wilson and Teagarden - they would probably want to pullback Wilson and I'd probably let them for a decent enough prospect.

They can have Ross too (he hit them hard in Cincy this year - Redszone was there) if it will keep the three above in the deal. They probably wouldn't since they have Laird & they say that Salty is staying behind the plate.
    This offer would make the deal much less likely for the Rangers than one in which they give up two promising arms for an outfielder.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This offer would make the deal much less likely for the Rangers than one in which they give up two promising arms for an outfielder.
    I'm not sure I follow, Jojo. Are you saying that Teagarden would be a deal-breaker and they would be more likely to want Hamilton straight up for a couple of pitchers?

And when you say two promising arms are you talking about Vloquez and Wilson or Volquez and another arm? (I don't discuss Hamilton with the Rangers unless Volquez is involved)

Or did you mean to say it would make the Rangers more likely to deal?

Sorry, just didn't understand.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-06-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'm not sure I follow, Jojo. Are you saying that Teagarden would be a deal-breaker and they would be more likely to want Hamilton straight up for a couple of pitchers?

And when you say two promising arms are you talking about Vloquez and Wilson or Volquez and another arm? (I don't discuss Hamilton with the Rangers unless Volquez is involved)

Or did you mean to say it would make the Rangers more likely to deal?

Sorry, just didn't understand.
    I think the Rangers would think the deal is too lopsided in the Reds favor.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If they want Hamilton I would want to work out a deal with Volquez and a catcher.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I've been pushing to deal for a starter as hard as any fan, but I think this board has been a little too quick to throw Hamilton into some of these deals. If he can stay healthy -- and that's still an "if" -- we're looking at a monster player. Truly the complete package. He's the best player on the team. I'm not dealing him for a "maybe." Bedard? Yes. This kid? No.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think the Rangers would think the deal is too lopsided in the Reds favor.
    That's why I said they would probably want to pull Wilson back and I would probably let them if they substituted a suitable prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I've been pushing to deal for a starter as hard as any fan, but I think this board has been a little too quick to throw Hamilton into some of these deals. If he can stay healthy -- and that's still an "if" -- we're looking at a monster player. Truly the complete package. He's the best player on the team. I'm not dealing him for a "maybe." Bedard? Yes. This kid? No.
    I agree. I think the idea was floated around earlier in the offseason that Hamilton was being shopped. Lets be honest would it really suprise anyone if another team was interested in Hamilton? The reds right now have two potential game changing talents in their system both playing the outfield. I keep it that way. I think the value of pitching is very inflated right now. After seing what Hamliton did last season I hold him among the top outfields in the game in terms of trade value. Look at the foolish contract Jones got, IMO that Hamlton will outproduce him this season while playing a respectable CF or a great corener OF.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Hamilton for Volquez? No thanks.

I would rather trade Dunn to Texas.

Reds Get:

Edinson Volquez
    Frank Francisco
    Eric Hurley
    Taylor Teagarden
    Elvis Andrus

Rangers Get:

Adam Dunn
    Ryan Freel
    Scott Hatteberg
    Brad Salmon
    ...and maybe a lower level prospect.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Jpup; 12-07-2007 at 12:56 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?