Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the #13 prospect? (runoff)

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carlos Fisher

27 35.06%
  • Juan Francisco

21 27.27%
  • Sean Watson

29 37.66%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote RUNOFF: #13

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Community Prospect Vote RUNOFF: #13

There is a three way race for the #13 prospect between Carlos Fisher, Juan Francisco and Sean Watson after 85 votes.

Vote for the one you think is the best option. The two that don't win will be put back on the ballot for #14.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote RUNOFF: #13

nice fisher is out to the early lead!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I have a feeling #14 & #15 will fall to the guys that don't win this runoff.

I'm a Watson guy here. He should be able to parlay that nasty knuckle-curve into some kind of career at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I have a feeling #14 & #15 will fall to the guys that don't win this runoff.
    Hey alright, 13 votes later, you are starting to realize how this works! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Hey alright, 13 votes later, you are starting to realize how this works! Sorry I couldn't resist.
    Which means for #14, I will vote for Chris Dickerson yet again. And when he doesn't win as #14, I'll vote for him for #15.

I voted for Fisher. I'm just a tad scared of a guy who gets hit around that hard in the FSL. 8 HR in 54 IP is an accomplishment in Sarasota. I'm pretty much splitting hairs. This should really be a scouting decision, so I'm voting along with some other voters whom I trust.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I voted for Fisher. I'm just a tad scared of a guy who gets hit around that hard in the FSL. 8 HR in 54 IP is an accomplishment in Sarasota. I'm pretty much splitting hairs. This should really be a scouting decision, so I'm voting along with some other voters whom I trust.

I think Francisco's upside and performance as a 19-20 year old exceeds the prospects of the other two, with the possible exception that I could see Watson emerging as a reliever. So I'm for Francisco, would put Watson second, Fisher third.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm a Watson guy here. He should be able to parlay that nasty knuckle-curve into some kind of career at the major league level.
    Yeah between these 3 I think Watson and Fisher make it to the show and Watson has the bigger upside. I am hoping for Fisher to prove me wrong as he will likely be a starter but I don't see it. I like Francisco but feel he has too many hurdles, the plate discipline the lack of a defensive position (LF or 1B at best). But again I would love to see him prove me wrong.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

RMR, if its a scouting discussion then its probably Watson/Francisco - gap - Fisher. Their upsides are much better than Fishers. Watson has a mid 90s fastball and a devastating plus curveball to go along with two other pitches that he throws. Francisco has good bat speed, a rocket for an arm, tons of current power with even more projection and real bad plate discipline, but thats the only thing going against him. Fisher has a big body and a good fastball and sinker, but stuff wise he is not in the same class as Watson and his size isn't an advantage of him either.

That said, I voted Francisco based on his tools.

I'll keep voting for Fisher until he finally wins one.

Francisco doesn't know what the strike zone is. He'll never get on base at any type of remotely decent clip until he figures out that a strike zone actually exists in baseball.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Yep.....Francisco for me. Upside galore, and massive power potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Francisco's upside and performance as a 19-20 year old exceeds the prospects of the other two, with the possible exception that I could see Watson emerging as a reliever. So I'm for Francisco, would put Watson second, Fisher third.
    I love his power potential but I don't trust minor league power that is paired with horrific discipline. I'm sure he's getting 2 or 3 hittable pitches per at bat and doing a lot of damage to them when he makes contact. But he's only going to see fewer and I have more faith in a guy developing power as he matures than I do a historic free swinger learning to reign things in. Put in him the FSL and I think you see a .220/.260/.375 kind of ugly, ugly line.

I know he's got tools but tools without skills makes for a really good A ball player. He's young and has a long time to mature. But prospect rating wise, I need to see another tool translated in to a skill before I invest. The power can come through maturation. The plate discipline and contact are harder to develop.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-07-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sean Watson for #13 '08
    Carlos Fisher will be two years older than Sean Watson and will have played only one level higher. Sean Watson has been more highly regarded by scouts than Carlos Fisher.

Code:
    Name		 H/9	BB/9	 K/9	WHIP
    Sean Watson	8.17	2.40	9.25	1.17
    Carlos Fisher	8.80	2.66	7.59	1.27

Name		 AB	BB	  K	 OBP
    Juan Francisco	752	29	204	.303

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I love his power potential but I don't trust minor league power that is paired with horrific discipline. I'm sure he's getting 2 or 3 hittable pitches per at bat and doing a lot of damage to them when he makes contact. But he's only going to see fewer and I have more faith in a guy developing power as he matures than I do a historic free swinger learning to reign things in. Put in him the FSL and I think you see a .220/.260/.375 kind of ugly, ugly line.

I know he's got tools but tools without skills makes for a really good A ball player. He's young and has a long time to mature. But prospect rating wise, I need to see another tool translated in to a skill before I invest. The power can come through maturation. The plate discipline and contact are harder to develop.
    Well, Fisher will be 25 before next season. He hasn't yet mastered AA. He's never been touted as a high prospect. His main attribute seems to be his abilty to keep the ball down, important at GABP for sure.

Watson is a polished college pitcher who blew away low A ball, as did a number of others (Thompson, Gonzalez) but then had a tougher time at High-A.

Francisco is now 20 and had .268, 25, 90 at low-A. I've been told repeatedly on this site to ignore strikeouts and focus on production. Here's a guy with huge production. With even slight improvement in plate discipline, his numbers would be off the chart. At the number 13 pick, considering that he is a young prospect, I'm taking that chance.

This is not a doubles hitter, say a Chris Valaika, who needs to develop superior plate discipline to be effective. Francisco has huge power production, so even if he is never a high OBP guy he can produce.

While I'm hopeful all three will pan out, and I consider them all good prospects, the choice here seems apparent to me.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-07-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Turn Off Ads?