Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Car GPS Devices

Re: Car GPS Devices

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Love my garmin. I started my current job (being RFjr) using Mapquest. Bought the Garmin back in January, and can't believe I tried using mapquest at all.

I've got a Jotto Desk on order for my car. Once I get that thing for my computer, I'll never have to leave my car. I'll order pizza online, have it delievered to the car, along with water for drinking and baths.

That's awesome. I just snagged a portable unit for when you do actually have to leave the car and do some outside inspections.

I loves me some technology.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Garmin now has a lifetime maps option. Pay about $100 and you can get free map updates as long as your GPS is breathing.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

The GL family picked up a GPS (Garmin Nuvi) and I like it 10 times more than I thought I would. The Mrs. has a difficult time with directions, so this is an absolute Godsend for her.

Five minutes into an 8 hour return trip the highway we were supposed to get on was backed up for miles. The GPS recalculated, on the fly, a route for us that added a whopping 1 minute to our drive home. Pure delight.

GL

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I did eventually get one, but my opinion is somewhat mixed. It is really nice at night when it's hard to see street signs, but there are times where it doesn't always choose the best roads for a commercial vehicle. I don't really want to run through every county road and deer path on the way to my destination. I probably should have spent a bit more money on one with truck routing. So what I do is use my atlas to figure out the interstate routing into the town I'm delivering and then I use the GPS to find the specific street once I get close.

Here's an example of how messed up it can be at times. I put in my house from downtown and it wanted me to take I-74 to Colerain and go up Colerain to 275 east to Hamilton Ave. and then to my house. It's a bit faster to stay on 74 to 275 east to Hamilton, even though it's a little farther. The Tom Tom simply sees a US Route that is shorter and it doesn't know that the route it's wanting to run involves traffic lights and slower driving.

Funny enough though, the feature I use the most is simply finding points of interest near where I am. I have all the major truck stop chains listed in there and most of the major grocery store chains as well. That comes in handy on the road, just punching in and looking for the closest grocery.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I spotted the problem........ "Tom Tom " (I'm a Garmin Guy).

But usually there is setting to maximize use of highways.

I got to use Verizon's Navigator GPS free for 30 days. Up until then, I was very unfamiliar with GPS's. Pretty neat. I didn't renew it after 30 days; but it sold me on finding a portable GPS - Garmin seems to be the most recommended.

What do some of you think of this deal?......

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-250-3-5...E3ETF6T5Q3QREN
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I got to use Verizon's Navigator GPS free for 30 days. Up until then, I was very unfamiliar with GPS's. Pretty neat. I didn't renew it after 30 days; but it sold me on finding a portable GPS - Garmin seems to be the most recommended.

What do some of you think of this deal?......

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-250-3-5...E3ETF6T5Q3QREN
    $99 is a very good price, but that is an older unit, and you'll want a map update for it.

Check PMs.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-08-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

One problem I have with Garmin--even the updates refuse to call the road I live on by the right name. In the late seventies, a sign with the wrong name was put on it (the name of a road that lies in a straight line southwest of it, running the same direction.) The sign was removed a short time later and replaced with a correct one, but Garmin insists on calling the road by the old wrong name and calling the next road up what this one should be called.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?