Re: Car GPS Devices

I do pretty darn fine with my AAA maps.

Get off my lawn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    You know what's funny? I probably drive more miles in a week than anyone else here and I still don't have one of those things. I manage pretty well with Rand McNally.
    Having a GPS unit is a lot like getting High speed internet access. You may not *NEED* it, but once you have it you wouldn't give it back.

In your line of work I'd consider it an essential tool for efficiency.

GL

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Having a GPS unit is a lot like getting High speed internet access. You may not *NEED* it, but once you have it you wouldn't give it back.

In your line of work I'd consider it an essential tool for efficiency.

GL
    I'll be getting a laptop in a couple weeks. I can find my way from one city to another with the Rand McNally nationwide atlas about as fast as someone can type in the city names. Then what I need are directions to the pickup or drop within that city. I can find that on the computer as easily as I can on a GPS, and I just don't see spending money on the computer and then buying one of those as well. Besides, if the computer shows me the map, that's all I need. The only other thing the GPS would do is show me where I am and give me turn by turn. Well, I already know where I am and if I can't look at the map ahead of time and figure out where to turn, I probably shouldn't be in this line of work. Now GET THE HECK OFF MY LAWN!

I'll be getting a laptop in a couple weeks. I can find my way from one city to another with the Rand McNally nationwide atlas about as fast as someone can type in the city names. Then what I need are directions to the pickup or drop within that city. I can find that on the computer as easily as I can on a GPS, and I just don't see spending money on the computer and then buying one of those as well. Besides, if the computer shows me the map, that's all I need. The only other thing the GPS would do is show me where I am and give me turn by turn. Well, I already know where I am and if I can't look at the map ahead of time and figure out where to turn, I probably shouldn't be in this line of work. Now GET THE HECK OFF MY LAWN!
    How fast can you refigure your route and estimate your time of arrival if a road is closed and you need to take a different route?

Like I said, if you had one you wouldn't give it back.

I don't own one myself, and surely you can get to where you need to go by other means.

Your lawn if full of crab-grass, you won't find me on it. :

GL

I sure could have used a GPS system when I was driving around Boston this summer. Although if I had one I get the feeling it would have told me I was on my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Why don't you just say you enjoy looking at the map and figuring out where to turn? I think that's the real dilemma. Sure, it might be a little quicker to just punch in the address and follow the turn by turn directions the little GPS spouts out, but where's the challenge in that? There's a certain satisfaction derived from reading a map and correlating that chart with the actual surrounding land and managing to arrive at your destination in a timely fashion. That's part of the fun.

BTW, I travel quite a bit. I usually fly to my destination city and use a rental car to get where I need to go...and I use a GPS.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I sure could have used a GPS system when I was driving around Boston this summer. Although if I had one I get the feeling it would have told me I was on my own.
    We rented one on my last Boston trip. I honestly don't think we could've navigated around Logan airport without.

Our destination was off the beaten path as well.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    It probably saved me a fortune in gas here in San Diego. Instead of burning gas trying to find my way, I'm able to go right to my destination without stopping at the gas station to ask for directions.
    I got a lot of use out of mine when I first moved to San Antonio. Now that I know my way around, I usually leave it at home to avoid losing a car window to a smash-and-grab.

It's great for trips to other cities, though. With the GPS in the car, I can make a reservation at a hotel and get right to the front door without ever making a wrong turn.
    /r/reds

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    How fast can you refigure your route and estimate your time of arrival if a road is closed and you need to take a different route?

Like I said, if you had one you wouldn't give it back.

I don't own one myself, and surely you can get to where you need to go by other means.

Your lawn if full of crab-grass, you won't find me on it. :

GL
    Yeah, I know they're helpful, but at this moment, I just don't see spending the money for something I can get online. Maybe when the price comes down...

Anyway, even if I had one, I think I'd rather just see the map on the screen and then follow it. I don't think I'd want to just drive along waiting for something to tell me when to turn. I was riding with a friend once who had one of those and he was using it to find the place we were going. When I asked what street he was going to take next he replied that he was waiting for the GPS to tell him. Now, can you scroll ahead on those things and get the entire routing without having to wait for it to tell you where to turn? That would be a feature I could use, but not right now when I'm on a tight budget with a $1200 a month payment on the vehicle.

As for Boston, that's a whole different animal. I've delivered there a few times and haven't had much trouble, but I'm usually out around Foxboro and very rarely have to go near downtown.

Yeah, I know they're helpful, but at this moment, I just don't see spending the money for something I can get online. Maybe when the price comes down...
    I can appreciate that, I don't have one either.

Anyway, even if I had one, I think I'd rather just see the map on the screen and then follow it. I don't think I'd want to just drive along waiting for something to tell me when to turn. I was riding with a friend once who had one of those and he was using it to find the place we were going. When I asked what street he was going to take next he replied that he was waiting for the GPS to tell him.
    Then one my buddy has will show the map, the vehical on the map, as well as the next street and direction to turn on it.

Now, can you scroll ahead on those things and get the entire routing without having to wait for it to tell you where to turn? That would be a feature I could use, but not right now when I'm on a tight budget with a $1200 a month payment on the vehicle.
    Depending on your model I am pretty sure this can be done now.

GL

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Anyway, even if I had one, I think I'd rather just see the map on the screen and then follow it. I don't think I'd want to just drive along waiting for something to tell me when to turn. I was riding with a friend once who had one of those and he was using it to find the place we were going. When I asked what street he was going to take next he replied that he was waiting for the GPS to tell him. Now, can you scroll ahead on those things and get the entire routing without having to wait for it to tell you where to turn? That would be a feature I could use, but not right now when I'm on a tight budget with a $1200 a month payment on the vehicle.

As for Boston, that's a whole different animal. I've delivered there a few times and haven't had much trouble, but I'm usually out around Foxboro and very rarely have to go near downtown.
    They are very nice to have, even if you don't continually use them. I often use mine as you suggested, it just displays the map and where I'm at with the street names in the surrounding area...it's nice to see the names of the next three streets when you are looking for one in particular. Also, if I have programmed in a destination, it displays the street I'm on and the next turn at the top of the display. If I touch the text in that area, it switches from the map to a list of the next 4 or 5 turns and I can scroll down until I've seen all the turn-by-turn directions. I use a Garmin Nuvi 350, which runs around $300, but you can get a Nuvi 260 for around $250 which is basically the same thing without some of the unnecessary frills. (MP3 Player, Travel Assitant, Language Translator, etc.) I find myself using mine for oddball things now...for example, if I see a river or a lake and want to know its name, I just touch the screen image and it tells me the name of the thing I have touched. A minor thing, but still nice in my opinion. The prices, as you stated, are definitely coming down, (I bought mine for $450 a year ago, and you can get them for $300 now) so waiting is definitely not going to hurt you. The only other thing I should mention is that they are satellite dependent, so they don't work underground, they do really odd things in cities with walls of skyscrapers, and during heavy storms reception can go in-and-out. When it's all said and done, it's just another tool and most people are more efficient with whatever tool they're most comfortable with.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Just wondering, why would anyone want an MP3 player coming out of their GPS? Wouldn't you want that coming out of your car's 6, 8 or 10 speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Just wondering, why would anyone want an MP3 player coming out of their GPS? Wouldn't you want that coming out of your car's 6, 8 or 10 speakers?
    The Garmin units (and probably the Tom Toms) have an FM transmitter that broadcasts audio over your car stereo.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The Garmin units (and probably the Tom Toms) have an FM transmitter that broadcasts audio over your car stereo.
    Do you have to wire it into your radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Do you have to wire it into your radio?
    No, it's a wireless FM broadcast. You simply tune your GPS and your radio to the same frequency.

XM radios have this capability as well.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?