Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffey in better shape

Coffey in better shape

Well, there's less of Todd Coffey here. He said he's lost 19 1/2 pounds and it's noticable. First thing I said to him after hello was it was noticeable that he's lost some weight. He said 9 pounds of body fat are gone. He's wearing a monitor that measures his caloric intake and how many calories he burns and everything. It's pretty amazing. He's in much better shape and by February, he's going to be in even better shape.

posted by ctrosecrans at 3:17 PM

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coffey in better shape

He needed it for sure

got alil captain in u?

better shape and i read somewhere that he and his high school pitching coach figured out he was bending his back to much during his delivery. Hopefully the weight loss and his fixed mechanics returns him to good form.

Senor Votto

I'm glad he's working on improving hopefully he shows that improvement on the mound.

If the 06 version of Coffey returns, and Bray rebounds like most of us think he can. The bullpen could really start to become a weapon at the end of games. Glad to see Coffey is working hard, the weight thing is one of my pet-peeves. If you can produce and be out of shape thats great but if your getting knocked around I find it easier to root for someone who I can't accuse of failing to maximize on their talent.
    Last edited by Orenda; 12-08-2007 at 09:02 AM.

buck

If I remember correctly, early in Coffey's minor-league career, he weighed nearly 300 lbs., and he was a marginal prospect at best. He didn't begin to show some promise in the minors until after he began taking better care of himself. He may have lost focus on his conditioning once he reached the majors. Too much per diem money? LOL

Well, I will give him credit for caring enough to do something about his weight and conditioning...........and also for examining his mechanics and making adjustments. It sounds like he cares and all we can do is hope it leads to improvement. He's got the fastball we need from our relievers and he's proven all he can prove in the minors. It's make or break time for Todd Coffey and I think he knows it. I wish him the best and hope he has a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Well, I will give him credit for caring enough to do something about his weight and conditioning...........and also for examining his mechanics and making adjustments. It sounds like he cares and all we can do is hope it leads to improvement. He's got the fastball we need from our relievers and he's proven all he can prove in the minors. It's make or break time for Todd Coffey and I think he knows it. I wish him the best and hope he has a great season.
    The only thing he cares about is staying in the majors and money.
    It's not like he suddenly said he wants to help the Reds win. He just realized if he doesn't improve, he'll stay in AAA and make nothing. But this is a normal response so if it helps the Reds then thats fine

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    The only thing he cares about is staying in the majors and money.
    It's not like he suddenly said he wants to help the Reds win. He just realized if he doesn't improve, he'll stay in AAA and make nothing. But this is a normal response so if it helps the Reds then thats fine
    .....uh, dude........uh, everyone of us has to perform in our jobs or we'll be out of a job. There's nothing new there that doesn't apply to a baseball player or a guy working for Cintas, AK Steel, or Carl Lindner. And we all work FOR THE MONEY.

I think you were somewhat harsh in that very few of us work FOR FUN. We all work FOR DA MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I think you were somewhat harsh in that very few of us work FOR FUN. We all work FOR DA MONEY!
    That was my point. Others are acting as if Coffey is just trying to be in better shape because he likes the Reds and wants to win

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    If I remember correctly, early in Coffey's minor-league career, he weighed nearly 300 lbs., and he was a marginal prospect at best. He didn't begin to show some promise in the minors until after he began taking better care of himself. He may have lost focus on his conditioning once he reached the majors. Too much per diem money? LOL
    You are correct! Actually I think he weighed over 300lbs., and was a 41st rounder. I gotta' say though this guy makes me run for the concession stands when he comes in. He's got a lot to prove before I'll be able to watch. He should be lights out. He will need a new brain, because what I saw last year was a guy who's mind had been broken.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    You are correct! Actually I think he weighed over 300lbs., and was a 41st rounder. I gotta' say though this guy makes me run for the concession stands when he comes in. He's got a lot to prove before I'll be able to watch. He should be lights out. He will need a new brain, because what I saw last year was a guy who's mind had been broken.
    Yes and his 90 whatever fastball is one of the straightest a person will ever see. He needs to show it but be able to keep it out of the hitting zone and thow a slider for his out pitch.

he was/is/and always will be garbage

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Ya' gotta' learn to quit holding it in! Tell us how you really feel
    (I'm leaning the same way though).

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    I don't know about that, he was pretty much lights out for the first 2-3 months of 06 when Narron sent him out almost every chance he got. He was awful last year though.

Turn Off Ads?