Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds interested in Mike Cameron?

Re: Reds In on Cameron

To me,if this is true only proves WK may have a deal in the works involving Hamilton. If that is the case I would rather see Rios as discussed in the other thread but Cameron would be good otherwise. He can cover alot of ground plus hit25-30 hrs in GABP.
    Worst part is the suspension.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    People are underestimating the power of Dusty Baker. He's going to try and get all the players he likes (Willis, Cameron) with no recognition of the star prospects that would be blocked if we get them (Cueto, Bruce)
    As far as Willis and Cueto. Believe me, Willis would not block Cueto. This team is questionable in 3 starting spots so there is enough room for any pitcher that proves himself. I imagine Cueto will start out in louisville for awhile at least.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

If Cameron could be had on a 2 year deal with a club option 3rd year cheaply, we would be crazy not to sign him. That would give us the flexibility needed to push Josh Hamilton for a SP and greatly increase the defense up the middle which would help our pitchers greatly as well.

If Cameron is the first of a couple of moves then I am all for it. But if we sit out for the rest of the offseason I will be scratching my head
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

got alil captain in u?

i'd rather have hamilton than cameron but if both freel and hamilton are gone we need another outfielder. Bruce would have to play the first 25 games see how he does if he's tearing the cover off the ball continue to keep him in the lineup if he's not we have cameron to step in.

Cameron would be huge for this team. We do not have a true CF on this team and Jay Bruce is not the answer. Cameron would be a real solid move.

If defense is that big of a loss with Hamilton in CF...then why not just go with Hopper/Dickerson platoon in CF? I can't imagine Cameron would be that great defensively at age 35 plus a 25 game suspension to start the year...is this reallly worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    If defense is that big of a loss with Hamilton in CF...then why not just go with Hopper/Dickerson platoon in CF? I can't imagine Cameron would be that great defensively at age 35 plus a 25 game suspension to start the year...is this reallly worth it?
    I really think it would be worth it if you could give him a deal with no more than 2 years. Hopper is not even close to the defensive player that Cameron is. He is just the kind of guy we need to help our outfield defense. When you have Dunn in left and Junior in right you better be as strong as you can be in center.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am thinking that if the Reds sign him, it is as a fourth outfielder and defensive replacement. He is not replacing anyone (Hamilton), or getting in anyone's way (Bruce).
    What makes you so confident of this? The fact that Dusty Baker is now our manager:?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

As much as I like Cameron this move doesn't seem to fit our needs. We're better off at least overpaying for Silva or whoever for pitching. He would improve our defense a great deal but he is aging and realistically can't even be playing three - four more years. Hamilton on the other hand could play over double that length for much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    As much as I like Cameron this move doesn't seem to fit our needs. We're better off at least overpaying for Silva or whoever for pitching. He would improve our defense a great deal but he is aging and realistically can't even be playing three - four more years. Hamilton on the other hand could play over double that length for much cheaper.
    Silva will get a 4 or 5 yr contract...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Silva will get a 4 or 5 yr contract...
    I met pitching in general opposed to Cameron, not him in particular. Silva will be 29 next year, a four year deal wouldn't be all that bad. Cameron will be 35, big difference. VERY RISKY though. I could live with him being signed.
    Last edited by Stephenk29; 12-08-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    I met pitching in general opposed to Cameron, not him in particular. Silva will be 29 next year, a four year deal wouldn't be all that bad. Cameron will be 35, big difference. VERY RISKY though. I could live with him being signed.
    I understand what you meant, its just that I'd rather wait to spend money till next offseason than overpay carlos silva or anyone else out there this year...

Cameron just seems like a guy we would go get if he was the last piece of the puzzle for a push for the Series. Although anythings possible, I don't see us making a huge playoff run this year. By the time all the young guys roll around Cameron will be at the end of his days and declined.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What makes you so confident of this? The fact that Dusty Baker is now our manager:?
    Not confident at all. I guess I should have said "I'm hoping" instead.

Krasovic did say it was an educated guess. I don't think there is much to it.

Turn Off Ads?