Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A's likely to sign Bonds

A's likely to sign Bonds

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../SP2STPL2P.DTL

(12-07) 04:00 PST Nashville -- If they had decided to rebuild, the A's wouldn't have a spot for Barry Bonds.

However, the club is intact as the winter meetings end, and Oakland is considered the hot pick to sign the free-agent outfielder despite his legal troubles and the potential public-relations issues that accompany him.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Oakland will sign Bonds," one major-league executive said Thursday as the winter meetings wound down. "I'd be shocked if it didn't happen."

Two other teams also have expressed interest in Bonds, an industry source said. Bonds is most likely a fit for an American League club, so that he could serve as a designated hitter. The A's, though, apparently have told Bonds that if he signs with them, he would appear in left field with some frequency. The home run king would be splitting DH duties with Jack Cust.

"I'm speaking with American League clubs as well as National League clubs," Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, said Thursday.

According to several people with knowledge of the talks, the A's were working on a deal to sign Bonds last month before he was indicted on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice. Bonds will be arraigned on those charges in San Francisco today, but there is a belief in baseball and legal circles that a trial would not be held until after the 2008 season, or even early 2009.

The possible legal complications wouldn't be too difficult to handle contractually, according to several agents and executives. Any time off needed to take care of court proceedings would be factored into the deal, and it would be null and void in the event of a conviction during the life of the contract.

The one sticking point for any team pursing Bonds might be convincing ownership to take on a player under a sizable cloud of steroid suspicion, but A's general manager Billy Beane usually has a free hand when it comes to personnel decisions and he has long been a fan of the longtime Giant. Beane consistently has declined to comment about Bonds, citing his longstanding policy of not discussing free agents.

Asked about Bonds 2 1/2 weeks ago, A's owner Lew Wolff told The Chronicle, "I doubt we'd have interest now," but he did not dismiss the idea outright.

Bonds fits the A's criteria in many ways. First, he'll be relatively cheap, given all the off-the-field issues around him, plus he's 43 and his playing time occasionally is limited by injuries. Second, Oakland almost annually brings in a prominent player on the downside of a good career: Mike Piazza, Frank Thomas, David Justice, Ron Gant, Eric Karros, et al. And as one insider said Thursday, "Bonds is the ultimate. Frank Thomas is a great player, but even he can't hold a candle to Bonds."

Beane also likes to make a splash. He didn't do so at the winter meetings, despite heavy speculation that he would trade Dan Haren and/or Joe Blanton. And though the GM still could decide to move one of those starters, if he does not, signing Bonds would dwarf most other offseason baseball news. A one-year deal, or perhaps one year with a team option, would be the most likely agreement.

From Bonds' standpoint, the A's would be a terrific option because he'd remain in the Bay Area, which is where he is from and where he still has a loyal fan base. In addition, there's thought that Bonds wouldn't mind sending a message to his former employers in San Francisco, with a big season across the bridge. The A's are seldom opposed to ruffling the Giants' feathers, either.

Bonds has remained popular with his major-league peers throughout all his troubles. A's third baseman Eric Chavez said recently that he'd welcome Bonds as a teammate, and another Oakland player, asked this week about the possibility of adding Bonds, said, "That would be awesome. I would love that."

"Barry is not retiring," Borris repeated Thursday. "He was a major-league All-Star last year. He's still playing at an elite level. He loves playing baseball. He has every intention of keeping on with his career."
    Court appearance

Barry Bonds makes his first appearance today in U.S. District Court in San Francisco on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice. Bonds is accused of lying about his use of steroids to the grand jury that investigated the BALCO steroids scandal. Live coverage will appear on SFGate.com, with a full report in Saturday's Chronicle.

Chronicle Staff Writer John Shea contributed to this report. E-mail Susan Slusser at sslusser@sfchronicle.com.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: A's likely to sign Bonds

Have fun with that one, Beane.

Hmm, maybe he can get work furlough from prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

California penal league?
    Go Gators!

I suppose this is the ultimate signing in terms of getting value for your buck. Even though he's got legal trouble and a horrible reputation, Bonds can still completely change the nature of a game. He's best suited as a DH now anyway, so the AL makes sense. Depending on how expensive he is, this might be a really good move by Beane.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I suppose this is the ultimate signing in terms of getting value for your buck. Even though he's got legal trouble and a horrible reputation, Bonds can still completely change the nature of a game. He's best suited as a DH now anyway, so the AL makes sense. Depending on how expensive he is, this might be a really good move by Beane.
    And another factor that must be considered (for the $$$$) is Barry's health. 126 games last season (130 the year before and 30 two years ago). While he gives you a lot of bang for the buck, is the $/AB worth it? Not playing in the field will lessen the chance for on-field injuries, but is the body (another year older) up to the task?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    And another factor that must be considered (for the $$$$) is Barry's health. 126 games last season (130 the year before and 30 two years ago). While he gives you a lot of bang for the buck, is the $/AB worth it? Not playing in the field will lessen the chance for on-field injuries, but is the body (another year older) up to the task?
    I suppose Beane is willing to take that risk. As a DH, Barry will have a much better chance at playing a full season. Even at his age, I can't think of many hitters who are more dominant at the plate.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I suppose Beane is willing to take that risk. As a DH, Barry will have a much better chance at playing a full season. Even at his age, I can't think of many hitters who are more dominant at the plate.
    The A's, though, apparently have told Bonds that if he signs with them, he would appear in left field with some frequency. The home run king would be splitting DH duties with Jack Cust.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

M'kay... but even so, 1/2 time at DH will save his knees a bit.

I may be old and without a brain, I'll have to see the wizard, but I just can't see signing Bonds. It seems like such a loser long time and short. What a hassle.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

When I was watching tv in the truckstop the other day, the news anchor said something like, "The home run king entered a not guilty plea..." and the first thought that crossed my mind was "What the heck was Hank Aaron charged with?" I don't imagine I'm the only person who had that thought.

Anyway, if he stays healthy and doesn't end up in prison, he could be a good fit at DH. I just don't know if I'd want the extra baggage if I were a GM.

Is OAK just going to be bidding against themselves? We hear that every so often with certain players and it usually isn't true. But, in this case, I think it may be true due to Bonds' special circumstances. It's advantageous for him to remain in the bay area due to his legal problems and it's home for him. He can DH which will save wear and tear on his knees and NY and BOS don't want him. If I were OAK, I wouldn't offer him any more than $3M.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I can't imagine any team is going to pony up that much cash for Bonds, only 14 have a spot for him to start with and most of them have no need for him.
    Go Gators!

I'm still not absolutely sold on the idea that San Francisco won't bring him back.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I'm still not absolutely sold on the idea that San Francisco won't bring him back.
    I really think that ship has sailed.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?