Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gagne to sign with Brewers

Eric Gagne to sign with Brewers

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

A little more than a week after losing closer Francisco Cordero to a four-year contract with the Cincinnati Reds, the Milwaukee Brewers on Saturday morning were near a contract agreement with veteran reliever Eric Gagne, according to an industry source.

Terms of the contract were unavailable, but it is likely to be for one year.

Upon Cordero leaving for the Reds and Scott Linebrink signing with the Chicago White Sox, the Brewers signed David Riske, who has 20 career saves and no more than eight in a single season, to a three-year contract, and traded for Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Salomon Torres. They also have Derrick Turnbow, who lost the closer role in an inconsistent 2006 season and then lost the job for good to Cordero.

The addition of Gagne should put Riske, Turnbow and Torres into setup roles, though the Gagne signing is not without risk. After two injury-plagued seasons, Gagne had a 2.16 ERA and 16 saves for the Texas Rangers, was traded to the Boston Red Sox at the trading deadline, lost his command, and had a 6.75 ERA over the next two months. He claimed to be healthy.

Despite a reasonable interest in re-signing Gagne and a backup plan to have C.J. Wilson or Joaquin Benoit serve as closer if Akinori Otsuka was slow to return from an elbow injury, the Texas Rangers announced Friday they were unwilling to guarantee two years on Gagne. In an otherwise soft market for a reliever whose stuff bears little resemblance to the "Game Over" closer who notched 152 saves from 2002-2004 with the Los Angeles Dodgers, that appeared to leave only the Brewers.

The Reds, who had the lowest save percentage in the National League, blowing 28 of 62 chances, will pay Cordero $46 million over four years.

Tim Brown is a national baseball writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Tim a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Re: Eric Gagne to sign with Brewers

Melvin is building a smart bullpen. Won't surprise me if they are better than last year... or at least as good--and he didn't have to spend all that $ on CoCo.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Let's see if he can still pitch.

Based on his performance with the Red Sox, survey says no.

Make sure Gagne is well apprised of his drug testing schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

That bullpen is starting to look like the island of misfit closers.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That bullpen is starting to look like the island of misfit closers.
    I agree, almost scary

Man Pills

Gagne, unlike all their other additions, could be a real difference-maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Let's see if he can still pitch.

Based on his performance with the Red Sox, survey says no.
    He was pretty good with Texas. Maybe he couldn't deal with the pressure in Boston.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Melvin is building a smart bullpen. Won't surprise me if they are better than last year... or at least as good--and he didn't have to spend all that $ on CoCo.
    He'll be paying Torres, Gagne and Riske every bit as much as he paid Linebrink and Cordero last year.

While Gagne may be good, they will not be as good as his bullpen last year.

Melvin is basically taking what is left over.

Maybe not Torres after all. From MLBTradeRumors:
    Brewers Acquire Torres; He Considers Retiring
    UPDATE, 12-8-07 at 12:06pm: Seems this story isn't over. Torres is contemplating retirement, in which case the Brewers would probably lose the two prospects for nothing. Torres will talk it over with his family and take a few days to decide.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Maybe not Torres after all. From MLBTradeRumors:
    Ouch! Sucks to them if that happens! How much precendent is there for something like this after the trade has already happened?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Ouch! Sucks to them if that happens! How much precendent is there for something like this after the trade has already happened?
    Curt Flood didn't particularly feel like moving to Philly.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

What Bill James thinks Gagne will do next year:

52 IP, 3.00 ERA, 3 HR, 10.83 K/9, 3.00 BB/9, 1.09 WHIP, .212 BAA, 2.87 FIP

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    What Bill James thinks Gagne will do next year:

52 IP, 3.00 ERA, 3 HR, 10.83 K/9, 3.00 BB/9, 1.09 WHIP, .212 BAA, 2.87 FIP
    He must be basing that off what Gagne did with Texas in 2007, rather than what he did for Boston in 2007.

Is Miller Park more of a pitcher's stadium or a hitter's stadium?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?