Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #14 Prospect?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Carroll

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

4 4.82%
  • Carlos Fisher

25 30.12%
  • Juan Francisco

13 15.66%
  • Rafael Gonzalez

0 0%
  • Sean Henry

0 0%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.20%
  • Sam Lecure

2 2.41%
  • Marcus McBeth

1 1.20%
  • Tyler Pelland

5 6.02%
  • Adam Rosales

4 4.82%
  • Jordan Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

6 7.23%
  • Craig Tatum

0 0%
  • Daryl Thompson

5 6.02%
  • Justin Turner

2 2.41%
  • Chris Valaika

2 2.41%
  • Pedro Viola

3 3.61%
  • Brandon Waring

10 12.05%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #14

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #14

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Hard to compare Rookie league vs. Low A. Similar HR #s, SO ratio. RBI% a little higher to Waring. BB, SLG, OBP, and significantly higher BA-Waring. Too early to tell, as I stated, hard to compare. What were Fransisco's Rookie league #'s? Did he improve at Low A, stay the same, or drop?

Folks seem to be ignoring Francisco's youth. He is only 20 and won't be 21 until next June. Yet he played at a higher level than did Waring, a college player, this year and hit 25 homers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-11-2007 at 12:39 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A #4, #5 starter is very valuable, especially if they go deep into games. Look at how many bad pitchers the Reds started over the last 3-4 years. If they had a dependable #4,#5 that would have helped a lot. A LH impact setup guy is useful, but not as important. If your talking about a #4,#5 and star closer type numbers, then that would be different

Waring was picked last year, you can't fault him for playing at a lower level.

If you want to pick a toolsy corner position player, I'd go with Nefi Soto over Juan Francisco or Brandon Waring. Nefi Soto is still raw (like the other two), but he strikes out the least of the three and walks about as much as Waring. On top of that, he's the youngest, and he has already shown a willingness to hit opposite field while Brandon Waring has been a pull hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If you want to pick a toolsy corner position player, I'd go with Nefi Soto over Juan Francisco or Brandon Waring. Nefi Soto is still raw (like the other two), but he strikes out the least of the three and walks about as much as Waring. On top of that, he's the youngest, and he has already shown a willingness to hit opposite field while Brandon Waring has been a pull hitter.

Corner infielders who get 2 homers in the GCL project as utility infielders.

Soto is a good prospect, but he isn't a shortstop and isn't a power guy. I'll stick with Francisco who, at a similar age, hit 25 homers and 90 RBIs at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Soto is a good prospect, but he isn't a shortstop and isn't a power guy. I'll stick with Francisco who, at a similar age, hit 25 homers and 90 RBIs at a higher level.
    I wouldn't call Brandon Phillips a power guy, but he just hit over 30 homeruns. I think as Soto's body matures (and there's plenty of time for that to happen), many of his line drive hits will become homeruns. He's 6'2", and at the moment, he has a slender frame. In five years, I expect him to project as a 30-40 homerun guy. People compare his body to Mike Lowell's. I really like his swing.

http://www.power-showcase.com/old/ho...Soto%20Web.wmv

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Hardly any 18 year olds are 'power guys'. As far as 'at a similar age', if you mean 2 years older, then yeah, it was a similar age, but thats not really true. Lets not forget when Francisco was 19, he hit all of 3 home runs in the GCL/PL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Do you think Fisher (I assume that's who you mean) has a higher ceiling as a starter (or even a reliever) as Viola does as a reliever? I don't, of course a starter has more worth. But what is more important an impact LH set-up man or a solid #4 or 5 starter? That is sorta how I see those at their bests and if so I would rather have that LH set-up man because I feel it's harder to get one than the #4 or 5 starter.
    To me, LH setup men are failed #4 or #5 starters...

Turn Off Ads?