Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bailey marches to his own drum

Bailey marches to his own drum

Notes: Bailey marching to his own drum
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds pitcher Homer Bailey received an unexpected perk while signing autographs on Saturday at Redsfest.

One fan handed him a bag filled with high-end men's skin-care products. Another presented him with a new shirt. He wasn't sure how the new goods would fit his needs, considering he spends much of his time out in the woods hunting.

"I've been to Kansas, Canada and south Texas numerous times. I hunted the month of November, except three days when I was traveling," Bailey said. "I'm trying to enjoy it."

Bailey's highly anticipated Major League debut came in June and lasted nine starts over two stints. The 21-year-old had mixed results, posting a 4-2 record and 5.76 ERA.

The Reds currently carry just four healthy starting pitchers with big league experience. That number should increase during the remainder of winter, with Bailey appearing to have the inside track for the No. 4 spot. General manager Wayne Krivsky said during the Winter Meetings that the pitching prospect would still have to earn a job in Spring Training.

"I think that's the way it should be," Bailey said. "I don't want to be given anything."

Since he was a first-round Draft pick in 2004, Bailey has been given goals each season from improving his mix of offspeed pitches to holding runners. Heading into a new season, he wasn't concerned about meeting people's expectations or goals.

"I don't care what people's goals for me are," he said. "If I can live up to my own expectations, then I'm by far reaching their goals. I have my goals, and that's what I stick to."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey marches to his own drum

I like his attitude and hope he turns into the pitcher he should be. Hopefully its in a reds uniform.

Why would a person go to Redsfest and try to give the players gifts? Those people must be very weird.

Skin care products...umm...

Why?

I mean a shirt is one thing. I can almost understand that. But skin care products? That's like walking up to Griffey and saying "Here. I bought you some eggs and milk."

I would be afraid of the skin care products! Might be linked to 'roids!

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

The giving of gifts to players is kind of odd...I would never do it...however, it was kind of cool when one fan gave Dusty a pack of toothpicks during a roundtable....Dusty was appreciative even though he admitted he uses primarily one type of pick (an organic brand).

I got Bailey's autograph. He was really nice. All I said was good luck, and thank you. I don't know about skin care products.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    The giving of gifts to players is kind of odd...I would never do it...however, it was kind of cool when one fan gave Dusty a pack of toothpicks during a roundtable....Dusty was appreciative even though he admitted he uses primarily one type of pick (an organic brand).
    All wood tooth picks are organic...right? I mean you have a tree, you cut it up and make tooth picks. What is not organic about that?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I wonder if Dusty overworks his toothpicks and cause their shelf life to be cut in half...

Turn Off Ads?