Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks make offer for Haren

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Diamondbacks make offer for Haren

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/103794

They've offered Carlos Gonzalez, Emilio Bonifacio and Brett Anderson for Haren. They're not including Max Scherzer yet.

Is it just me, or could Wayne compete with this offer if he wanted to get Haren?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Diamondbacks make offer for Haren

I don't know the first thing about most of those names, so I have to plead ignorant to our ability to compete with said offer.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Man Pills

Have the Reds even been mentioned in the Haren talks?

Not that that necessarily means anything, but....

Beane will demand Bruce or no go. I can pretty much guarantee that.

I haven't heard the Reds mentioned in any Haren rumors. I'm sure Beane will demand Bruce at first, but I have to imagine he'd also take some combo of our other prospects. The Big 4 are exactly the type of players he'd like to trade Haren for IMO -- young, cheap and controllable for a long time.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I haven't heard the Reds mentioned in any Haren rumors. I'm sure Beane will demand Bruce at first, but I have to imagine he'd also take some combo of our other prospects. The Big 4 are exactly the type of players he'd like to trade Haren for IMO -- young, cheap and controllable for a long time.
    That's not the way Beane works. He gets what he wants or holds onto his commodity.

I also have to imagine that Wayne has at least explored the option of trading for Haren. He and Beane seem to have a good relationship, so I assume they've spoken at least once or twice. If this is true, let's just hope Wayne doesn't get manipulated into giving up too much.

Jay Bruce is miles ahead of Carlos Gonzalez. Josh Hamilton is better as well. Given Beane's willingness to take a risk on Bonds, I'm sure he can't be that scared of Josh Hamilton. Hamilton, Cueto, and Wood would most likely beat this offer.
    Go BLUE!!!

However, given the reports that the A's may sign Bonds, coupled with the fact that the Angels did not land Miguel Cabrera (or Johan Santana, yet) I am not sure if Beane is set to go into rebuild mode. I question whether or not Haren will be moved this offseason.
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jay Bruce is miles ahead of Carlos Gonzalez. Josh Hamilton is better as well. Given Beane's willingness to take a risk on Bonds, I'm sure he can't be that scared of Josh Hamilton. Hamilton, Cueto, and Wood would most likely beat this offer.
    Again, Beane's not interested in bait and switch. If he's ordering steak, no amount of extra french fries is going to do. He ordered steak, and he'll get steak or he'll go to the next restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Again, Beane's not interested in bait and switch. If he's ordering steak, no amount of extra french fries is going to do. He ordered steak, and he'll get steak or he'll go to the next restaurant.
    I don't understand you. I mean, I get your analogy, and if you're suggesting it's Bruce or bust that's fine. All I suggested was a better offer than what the Dbacks already had on the table. If Beane doesn't take it, that's fine- no harm done. But there isn't a whole lot of risk to making that offer, especially if it's the best offer out there.
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

I don't understand you. I mean, I get your analogy, and if you're suggesting it's Bruce or bust that's fine. All I suggested was a better offer than what the Dbacks already had on the table. If Beane doesn't take it, that's fine- no harm done. But there isn't a whole lot of risk to making that offer, especially if it's the best offer out there.
    I'm saying "why make the offer when you're going to be rebuffed?"

Go ahead, make it. But it'll be Bruce or nothing.

Fine, but I'd still make it. You never know if you don't try.

It's not as if you're offering Mike Stanton for A-Rod, you're putting forth the most competitive offer that currently exists (at least, according to published reports.)
    Go BLUE!!!

But, to steal FCB's food analogy, the D-Backs are apparently offering a nice fish dinner, but Beanes after his porterhouse.

IE, it doesn't matter what the D-Backs are offering, its not what he wants, so what he wants from the Reds isn't predicated on what another team has offered necessarily.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Gonzalez and Bonifacio lack plate discipline (which should be a major problem for the A's) and Anderson's stuff is decidely underwhelming (as is his commitment to anything resembling conditioning). The Reds could blow that offer out of the water without ever having to go near Jay Bruce.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Whicj means he won't trade Haren to any team but the Reds. As only we can trade Bruce.

Seriously, if Beane wants to move Haren, he'll potentially accept a deal that doesn't include Bruce if it beats all other deals.

Turn Off Ads?