Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks make offer for Haren

Man Pills

Re: Diamondbacks make offer for Haren

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Gonzalez and Bonifacio lack plate discipline (which should be a major problem for the A's) and Anderson's stuff is decidely underwhelming (as is his commitment to anything resembling conditioning). The Reds could blow that offer out of the water without ever having to go near Jay Bruce.
    If I had to guess, I'd say there isn't a single principal in the Reds' employee that would interest Beane outside of Encarnacion, Bruce, Hamilton, and Burton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wouldn't trade Homer for that bunch. I would think real discussion would start with either Young or Upton and add on from there.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Whicj means he won't trade Haren to any team but the Reds. As only we can trade Bruce.

Seriously, if Beane wants to move Haren, he'll potentially accept a deal that doesn't include Bruce if it beats all other deals.
    How hard is this concept to understand?

Beane doesn't seek *more.* He seeks what he wants that you possess.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say there isn't a single principal in the Reds' employee that would interest Beane outside of Encarnacion, Bruce, Hamilton, and Burton.
    I figure he'd be into Votto big time. The A's need legit offense, Votto can provide it. While Bailey and Cueto carry numerous ifs, they're exactly what a rebuilding club needs (which is what the A's are if they're dealing Haren). Maloney would most certainly be up Beane's alley (not as the main bait, but he'd probably make a nice third player in a deal).

And if you're looking seriously at Carlos Gonzalez, then Drew Stubbs ought to at least get your attention. Stubbs plays better defense, takes a pitch and has better wheels, which are significant because neither profiles as an impact bat.

If the A's are giving the DBacks' offer so much as 10 seconds of consideration then there should be a slew of kids in the Reds system that interest them.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

I figure he'd be into Votto big time. The A's need legit offense, Votto can provide it. While Bailey and Cueto carry numerous ifs, they're exactly what a rebuilding club needs (which is what the A's are if they're dealing Haren). Maloney would most certainly be up Beane's alley (not as the main bait, but he'd probably make a nice third player in a deal).

And if you're looking seriously at Carlos Gonzalez, then Drew Stubbs ought to at least get your attention. Stubbs plays better defense, takes a pitch and has better wheels, which are significant because neither profiles as an impact bat.

If the A's are giving the DBacks' offer so much as 10 seconds of consideration then there should be a slew of kids in the Reds system that interest them.
    Yeah, I forgot Cueto. Though I'm guessing Beane rightly views Cueto as a pen arm.

I'm guessing he has very little interest in Bailey as a principal.

The other guys you mention are throw-ins, IMO.

And while Beane might be entertaining the D-Backs deal, I can't imagine he's serious about taking it.

Agreed. The Dbacks offer is extremely weak. I like Haren/3 years at his salary better than both Bedard/2 yrs at his salary and Santana/7 yrs at what he'll get -- and the packages being offered (reportedly) for Bedard and Santana are far better than what AZ is shopping.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

YThe other guys you mention are throw-ins, IMO.
    Votto might be the best bat on the A's. That's not a throw-in. I'd say he's worth more than all three guys in the supposed DBacks offer combined.

Bailey and Cueto are top pitching prospects. While I totally agree that's a dubious distinction, what's a rebuilding club going to do, insist it doesn't want top tier prospect arms? Plus, Beane's a smart guy, just because he picks up a young arm doesn't mean he intends to keep the kid in perpetuity.

And I'll say it again, if the A's think Carlos Gonzalez is a principal then Drew Stubbs is a hell of a lot more than a throw-in.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

If the Reds miss out on Bedard, they'll go after Haren next. They pretty much have to.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Did Beane ever say whether the team is going for it or re-building? If the Athletics signed Bonds, doesn't mean they're interested in competing now? And if so, wouldn't that mean they'd rather hang on to Haren?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Did Beane ever say whether the team is going for it or re-building? If the Athletics signed Bonds, doesn't mean they're interested in competing now? And if so, wouldn't that mean they'd rather hang on to Haren?
    Hard to say, Bonds might reflect nothing more than turnstile churn for them.

My general take is Haren's signpost. If he's dealt, then the A's are rebuilding.

Man Pills

Votto might be the best bat on the A's. That's not a throw-in. I'd say he's worth more than all three guys in the supposed DBacks offer combined.

Bailey and Cueto are top pitching prospects. While I totally agree that's a dubious distinction, what's a rebuilding club going to do, insist it doesn't want top tier prospect arms? Plus, Beane's a smart guy, just because he picks up a young arm doesn't mean he intends to keep the kid in perpetuity.

And I'll say it again, if the A's think Carlos Gonzalez is a principal then Drew Stubbs is a hell of a lot more than a throw-in.
    If Beane can't get Bruce from the Reds, he'll almost certainly take what the Yankees or the Red Sox have to offer.

If Beane can't get Bruce from the Reds, he'll almost certainly take what the Yankees or the Red Sox have to offer.
    What are they offering? The Yankees and Red Sox were reluctant to kick in top prospects for Johan Santana. If the Reds put Bailey, Votto and Maloney on the table, I doubt anyone beats it.

Man Pills

What are they offering? The Yankees and Red Sox were reluctant to kick in top prospects for Johan Santana. If the Reds put Bailey, Votto and Maloney on the table, I doubt anyone beats it.
    Then it boils down to your point: does Beane feel any urgency to move Haren? If so, maybe you're right. If not--and let's face it, Beane has never been Gillicked--then he'll pocket Haren and deal him when the market is better.

Then it boils down to your point: does Beane feel any urgency to move Haren? If so, maybe you're right. If not--and let's face it, Beane has never been Gillicked--then he'll pocket Haren and deal him when the market is better.
    He's been harangued though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    He's been harangued though.
    Beane's never been averse to giving up talent.

That's not the point. Beane, like any good chess player, is only averse not to having options.

Turn Off Ads?