Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non- Tender Candidates

Non- Tender Candidates

Potential Non-Tenders

Here's a list of arbitration-eligible non-tender candidates. There will also be some zero-to-three players non-tendered and then often re-signed to minor league deals, but picking them out of the crowd is a more difficult exercise. Wednesday is the deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players.

Likely: C Johnny Estrada (Mets), OF Craig Monroe (Twins), INF Felipe Lopez (Nationals), 3B Morgan Ensberg (Padres), OF Emil Brown (Royals), 1B Ben Broussard (Mariners), OF Kevin Mench (Brewers), C Miguel Olivo (Marlins), LHP Mark Hendrickson (Dodgers), LHP Horacio Ramirez (Mariners), LHP Neal Cotts (Cubs), OF Jason Lane (Padres), OF Cory Sullivan (Rockies), RHP Brendan Donnelly (Red Sox), LHP John Parrish (Mariners), LHP Wilfredo Ledezma (Padres), RHP Greg Aquino (Brewers), RHP Seth McClung (Brewers), RHP Grant Balfour (Rays), RHP Dave Borkowski (Astros), C Eric Munson (Brewers), RHP Brandon Duckworth (Royals), RHP Ryan Wagner (Nationals)

Of the first eight hitters on the list, Lopez and Brown probably have the best chances of survival. The Nationals are publically talking about keeping Lopez and putting him back at second base, though that may only be in the hopes of generating more interest in him. He's due $4 million-$4.5 million in his final year of arbitration. I've long assumed Brown would go, but the Royals still have room for him in left field if they want to bring him back. They could do better for the $3.5 million he's likely to collect. Ramirez needs to get back to the NL if he's going to have a shot at putting his career back together. There should be plenty of interest, with Philadelphia possibly leading the way. The Red Sox will probably non-tender and then re-sign Donnelly, who is expected to miss much of the season following Tommy John surgery.

Less Likely: 3B Joe Crede (White Sox), RHP Mark Prior (Cubs), RHP Akinori Otsuka (Padres), RHP John Patterson (Nationals), OF Xavier Nady (Pirates), OF Marcus Thames (Tigers), RHP Luis Ayala (Nationals), LHP Gustavo Chacin (Blue Jays), RHP Claudio Vargas (Brewers), RHP Josh Towers (Blue Jays), RHP Jorge Sosa (Mets), RHP Tim Redding (Nationals), RHP Chad Durbin (Tigers), OF Jason Tyner (Twins), OF Tike Redman (Orioles), OF Chris Snelling (Phillies), RHP Yhency Brazoban (Dodgers), RHP Vinnie Chulk (Giants), RHP Todd Coffey (Reds), RHP Tyler Yates (Braves), RHP Kyle Snyder (Red Sox), LHP Lenny DiNardo (Athletics), OF Jason Repko (Dodgers), INF Jason Smith (Royals), RHP Luke Hudson (Royals)

Crede and Prior might not have a lot of trade value, but they should fetch back a couple of lesser prospects apiece. Neither needs to be non-tended. Otsuka's rehab from his elbow injury seems to be going well, so the Rangers will probably offer him a contract. That Eric Gagne signed elsewhere only makes that a more likely scenario. Thames and Durbin would have qualified as big surprises a week ago, but with Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis on the roster, the Tigers need to free up money and have put both on the trading block. Thames, in particular, should have some trade value. The Blue Jays have indicated they don't plan to non-tender any of their pitchers, even though Chacin and Towers figure to be long-shot rotation candidates at best. Chacin is eligible for arbitration for the first time, so it'll be worth $1 million or so to see if he can bounce back and contribute. Towers isn't worth keeping around at the $3 million-$3.5 million he's likely to command.

Already Dropped: OF Scott Podsednik (White Sox), INF Jose Castillo (Pirates), OF So Taguchi (Cardinals), INF Jorge Cantu (Reds), INF Alex Cintron (White Sox), OF Terrmel Sledge (Padres), RHP Julio Mateo (Phillies), LHP Dave Williams (Mets), RHP Chin-Hui Tsao (Dodgers), 1B Josh Phelps (Pirates), OF Willie Harris (Braves), OF Timo Perez (Tigers), OF David Newhan (Mets), RHP Lance Cormier (Braves), RHP Chad Paronto (Braves), OF Laynce Nix (Brewers)

I copied this list from Rotoworld(and from ORG). It gives us a good idea on who we can expect to be non-tendered on Dec.12.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Non- Tender Candidates

I think Morgan Ensberg would be a good righty off the bench and platoon at 1B...sorta filling the role I envisioned Cantu in.

Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner to be non-tendered. That's 2/3 of what we sent the Nationals in The Trade. I think the other 1/3 is going to have his best season this year, if he gets to play in that crowded outfield out in Washington.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

ED44
    Was you at Redsfest Saturday and what did you think? I agree with you about Ensberg what do you think about Ramirez from Mariners he is lefty ?

Julio Mateo if he's non-tendered. But I'm sure he will be.
    Who's on first?

I can't imagine Nady will be non-tendered but I'd be happy to have him if he's not.

Luis Ayala, Mark Prior, John Patterson, Claudio Vargas, Craig Monroe, Joe Crede, Morgan Ensberg, Ben Broussard, and Horacio Ramirez are all names that the Reds should look at if they go non-tendered.

Can someone explain to me what it means to be Non-tendered. Does that essentially make them a Free Agent or do they still belong to the team non-tendering them?
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

It Makes Them Free.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    ED44
    Was you at Redsfest Saturday and what did you think? I agree with you about Ensberg what do you think about Ramirez from Mariners he is lefty ?
    I was there on Saturday only. It was the 1st one I had attended and came away very impressed...plus I finally got to meet ED, which was my primary goal this year. I will definitely go back next year though.

I heard the same rumors about the reunion in mid-November. Hopefully, that comes to fruition.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Ramirez either. It seems like the Braves know when to get rid of pitchers though.

Also, maybe take a look at Ledezma. I know he has been terribly bad, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at him.
    Last edited by ED44; 12-11-2007 at 10:10 AM.

What would you trade for Josh Towers if we can't get AJ Burnett?

Todd Coffey was on the "less likely" list. It surprised me a bit, but he really had a bad year last year.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

There are a lot of servicable players on those lists. I see a couple candidates to play in a platoon at first in phelps, ensberg, and thames. If we are to trade Hamilton and Freel or any other 2 outfielders, we may need a RH platoon man: Brown, Nady, Thames, Mench, and Taguchi. There are some starters that could help: Vargas, Towers, Ramirez, Hendrickson. And finally, a few relievers I would give a looksy at during spring: Cotts, Ledezma, Aquino, and Mateo.

Miguel Olivo ain't a bad catcher either...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Non-Tender Deadline

Midnight Wednesday marks baseball's non-tender deadline. That's when teams must choose whether to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. If they don't offer a contract, the player is non-tendered and becomes a free agent. While Kevin Mench and Matt Wise were technically designated for assignment, they'll soon be non-tendered. I've added both to the free agent list and will continue to update it.

I remember it was not long ago when Mench was traded from the Rangers to the Brewers. It's hard to believe his career has reached the point where he would essentialy be released like this, but he has.

Id be interested in Matt Wise maybe

Turn Off Ads?